PDA

View Full Version : Hearthstone (Beta)

Avilan the Grey
2014-02-08, 03:40 AM
So... That was... meh.

I admit I am not much of a card gamer; never liked it (any card game, really, with the possible exception of Munchkin). Plus you know any game where you can pay to win (by buying new cards for real money) seems morally questionable to me.

My biggest question though is why is this a desktop game? It seems like it is made for smartphones! Extremely simplistic, turn based, quick matches. Why is this NOT Blizzard's major attempt to make a name for themselves on tablets?

Prince Gimli
2014-02-08, 04:13 AM
Hey there! If you look a bit further down the forumpage, you'll find a big shiny thread devoted to Hearthstone, Hearthstone and then some more Hearthstone, with a whole bunch of players who I bet would be happy to answer your questions :smallsmile:.

Destro_Yersul
2014-02-08, 04:21 AM
Indeed, we already have a thread for such things: Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326055)

To answer your questions, Hearthstone is not really pay to win: any cards you can get by paying for them, you can get by playing the game. There is no difference in power level between cards bought with money or cards acquired with in-game gold, merely a difference in time spent. Hearthstone is no more Pay-to-Win than, say, Magic: the Gathering. It's actually even less so than MTG or other traditional paper card games.

There is, currently, no mobile version because the game is still in beta. Mobile support is being worked on and will be released in future, is my understanding of it.

Gandariel
2014-02-08, 04:31 AM
I would add that if you're good enough, playing in the arena costs 150 gold, and gives you back one pack plus XXX gold, depending on how well you do.
If you win an average of 7 games in each arena run you can get your money back PLUS the pack, so basically go on for free and get packs.
Slow, but free packs and free everything :D