PDA

View Full Version : Best items for a lvl 7 wiz?

Balor01
2014-02-08, 05:55 AM
So. This is my wiz diviner (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=750817).

Since i am rather noobish as wiz player it takes a lot of effort for me to deal with spell list and alike, so I'd like to ask for some suggestions regarding what items should i buy? I have about 11k at my disposal, could push it to 15 probably. The thing is, I was thinking of defensive items(Cloak of Mirror image), but keep in mind I am a noob.

Currently I have Vanisher cloak and Ankelet of translocation and they really serve me well.

Someonelse
2014-02-08, 08:01 AM
Here are my 2 copper pieces

Some standards you should use are amulet of natural armor, bracers of armor, something for Dex and something for Int.
Do you have a high wisdom bonus? if so get a monks belt
Belt of Battle is nice, gives you extra moves.
ring of freedom of movement is a must!
something that lets you fly, like a phoenix cloak or a flying carpet.
I recently saw Casting Gloves in the MIC, those are pretty cool, like gloves of storing but you can activate whatever is inside the glove, like a wand or something.
Those are more options than you can buy, I'm just throwing out some good suggestions. Seriously though, at level 7 I would focus on getting my AC up as high as possible, so the bracers of armor and amulet of natural armor are a must. The more buff spells you can put in magic items the better, this leaves you more time for offensive casting.
Take Craft Wondrous Items so you can craft every buff spell you know into some kind of defensive item.

Also, if you have money left after you're done buying items, buy a bunch of scrolls to add to your spellbook.

Brookshw
2014-02-08, 08:10 AM
Pearls of power once you have some spare cash. Ioun stone to up your cl.

Seffbasilisk
2014-02-08, 08:39 AM
Phaant's Luckstone is a decent one-shot defensive item as it's non-slotted.

It's...kind of the opposite of your namesake, but in the positive spectrum.

Balor01
2014-02-08, 10:18 AM
Are you guys sure defense is the proper way? Thanks.

Someonelse
2014-02-08, 10:32 AM
Are you guys sure defense is the proper way? Thanks.

Yes
You could get some wands and such, but you're a wizard right? You ARE the boomstick. You should prepare spells you are going to use a lot, fireballs and lightning bolts and such, and save the utility spells for wands and scrolls. Don't use a spell slot for Identify, just buy an Artificer's Monocle. As a wizard you should be looking to supplement your spell casting ability with items. This is why you want to have good defensive items, so you don't have to spend the first 3 rounds of every combat buffing up just so you don't die. Instead you can use your buffs on the party or focus all your actions and slinging offensive spells.

watchwood
2014-02-08, 10:41 AM
Wands, Scrolls, and Pearls of Power. All of them boost your magic output, which is your purpose in life.

hymer
2014-02-08, 10:47 AM
@ Balor: I'd use my spells and my (buffed) friends to keep me safe rather than items. It's hard to find items comparable to Mirror Image, for example, so a pearl of power or a rod of metamagic is likely to get you better protection in practice than AC boosts. Even better, focus on going first, so you can at least get out of the way if you can't tag them with a rocket spell.
If you find yourself as a credible target a lot, and there's nothing you can do to change that, maybe then you use items to focus on your defence.

claypigeons
2014-02-08, 03:21 PM
Mithral Chain Shirt of Twilight. 0% Spell failure. 0 armour check penalty. 100% win.

HunterOfJello
2014-02-08, 03:39 PM
Mithral Chain Shirt of Twilight. 0% Spell failure. 0 armour check penalty. 100% win.

This is a good option and probably your best bet. A +1 Twilight Mithril Chain Shirt will give you the most bang for your buck as far as AC goes at this level. It's +5 AC for 5100gp iirc.

Pearl of Power Is are also good because they only cost 1000gp each and give you extra spells cast.

I would consider one of the weaker Runestaves from MiC since it can give you more flexibility and options if you're not interested in boosting your defenses up.

Circlet of Mages (an effective pearl of power III+) or a Headband of Conscious Effort are also very good investments if your head slot is open.

I ordinarily buy a +1 Deathward Darkwood Buckler for 4205 since it provides additional AC protect (+2) and a 1/day success against a negative levels, negative energy, or death effect. It's an extremely handy get-out-of-death card to have lying around.

Scrolls for increasing your spells known is also important. Check out some of the guides for spell use and selection suggestions. A wizard who has only those he learned from leveling up is going to be hardly as effective as one who has twice that amount.

You can find other suggestsions at Bunko's Bargain Basement (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0).