PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Deal Extra Damage on a Charge

Morof Stonehands
2014-02-08, 10:22 AM
For a character I'm thinking about building I'm trying to find ways to deal extra damage when I charge, similar to a lance, but without being mounted. I saw a list once, but now I can't find it.

So what are all the ways to deal double, or triple, damage on a charge?

Jormengand
2014-02-08, 10:23 AM
For a character I'm thinking about building I'm trying to find ways to deal extra damage when I charge, similar to a lance, but without being mounted. I saw a list once, but now I can't find it.

So what are all the ways to deal double, or triple, damage on a charge?

Headlong Rush *2 but provoke AoO, Psionic Lion's Charge *number of attacks you can make but have to hit with them all and spend 3 power points, dive attacks *2 but must use a piercing weapon, Critical hit *2/*3/*4 but you have to make the critical hit.

That's just off the top of my head, though.

There's also lance and a feat for that, but if you don't wanna be mounted... yeah...

Croix
2014-02-08, 10:34 AM
Valorous is a +1 enchantment that bumps up the base multiplication of the weapons Charge damage up one step. (2x to 3x, 3x to 4x, etc.)

edit:

Valorous

A valorous weapon allows its wielder to make powerful charge attacks. When used in a charge, the valorous weapon deals double damage, much like a mounted warrior with the Spirited Charge feat. More than one doubling of damage increases the damage multiple by one per additional doubling, so double-double damage is triple damage, triple-double damage is quadruple damage, and so on.
Caster Level: 12th
Requirements: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, righteous might
Price: +1 bonus
Unapproachable East

Morof Stonehands
2014-02-08, 11:30 AM
The Valorous is really nice. Just the thing I was looking for!

I'm sure there are others though right?

Croix
2014-02-08, 11:52 AM
Well, you always have Powerful Charge line. It'll deal extra d6s worth of damage based on your size. Though it'll only apply to one attack you make on a charge.

Powerful Charge (Eberron Campaign Setting, p. 57)
When you charge, if your melee attack hits, you deal an extra 1d8 points of damage (if you are Medium size). For Large creatures, the extra damage is 2d6; for Huge, 3d6; for Gargantuan, 4d6; and for Colossal, 6d6. This feat only works when you make a charge. It does not work when you are mounted. If you have the ability to make multiple attacks after a charge, you may only apply this extra damage to one of those attacks.

Are you a Paladin taking Charging Smite instead of your Special Mount? Are you just making this character or do you have something already set in stone? Cause if you don't this (http://ihititwithmyaxe.tumblr.com/post/5994449301/the-charging-fighter-breaking-3-5-d-d) ubercharger build could be exactly what you're looking for.

Ravens_cry
2014-02-08, 11:52 AM
As mentioned, Headlong Rush does double damage. Besides the attack of opportunity, you have to be a half-orc or orc though, at least this one does (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030301a).

Jormengand
2014-02-08, 11:54 AM
As mentioned, Headlong Rush does double damage. Besides the attack of opportunity, you have to be a half-orc or orc though, at least this one does (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030301a).

You're an ubercharger. Why are you not an orc anyway?

Snowbluff
2014-02-08, 12:16 PM
Specifically speaking about Paladin, Rhino Rush doubles your charging damage. I use it on paladin chargers. It makes a good wand, too.

Morof Stonehands
2014-02-08, 12:19 PM
I don't have a set build right now, but I was thinking about a Thri-Kreen, with a huge jump bonus, jumping around the battlefield, utilizing the Battle Jump Feat.

I'm hoping it works the way I'm thinking, where I can make a huge jump and land with a charge attack (basically charge down through the air at my opponent).

sambouchah
2014-02-08, 12:41 PM
Better Charging:
Furious Charge(PGtF): Gives +4 to the attack roll at the end of a charge.
Whirling Frenzy Lion Totem Barbarian(UA, CC) Gain an extra attack at the end of a charge(at a -2 penalty) and gain Pounce.
Charging Weapon Enhancement(MiC) +2d6 on Charging damage IIRC.
Maneuvers(ToB) Charging Minotaur Strike gives +2d6 damage and doesn't provoke AoOs.
Dragonborn Wings Aspect(RotD I believe) Lets you deal double damage on charges as long as you've dropped 10 ft or something like that.
Power Attack+Shock Trooper+Leap Attack(PHB+CW+CA I think) Heedless Charge everything while jumping around with the Thri-Kreen's +30 Jump check and a weapon that you hold in all four hands, to deal something like x5 damage while charging.

Hope this helps!

Melcar
2014-02-08, 01:16 PM
In your face! (http://ihititwithmyaxe.tumblr.com/post/5994449301/the-charging-fighter-breaking-3-5-d-d)

Nirhael
2014-02-08, 01:39 PM
Rhino Hide (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#rhinoHide) grants an extra +2d6 on a charge, though it takes up your armor slot and isn't quite what you asked for actually.

Necroticplague
2014-02-08, 02:18 PM
Halberd of vaulting allows you to make a vaulting charge for double damage.

Person_Man
2014-02-08, 02:49 PM
Optimizing Power Attack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7165087)
How to get Pounce or Free Movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358)
Increasing Size, Unarmed Damage, and Reach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777)
How to get Extra Attacks, Natural Attacks, and AoO (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595)

shylocke
2014-02-08, 02:56 PM
Steadfast boots. Always count as set against charge.

Ravens_cry
2014-02-08, 04:43 PM
You're an ubercharger. Why are you not an orc anyway?
Some orc not like debt with exorbitant interest rate.:thog:

shylocke
2014-02-09, 01:06 AM
I don't have a set build right now, but I was thinking about a Thri-Kreen, with a huge jump bonus, jumping around the battlefield, utilizing the Battle Jump Feat.

I'm hoping it works the way I'm thinking, where I can make a huge jump and land with a charge attack (basically charge down through the air at my opponent).

Jump charge atks are sweet. Rogue dropping onto someone's back= charging sneaking atk

Vanitas
2014-02-09, 01:24 AM
Halberd of vaulting allows you to make a vaulting charge for double damage.

I love that weapon.

Rubik
2014-02-09, 02:50 AM

I'm hoping it works the way I'm thinking, where I can make a huge jump and land with a charge attack (basically charge down through the air at my opponent).If you want to cut down on the LA and RHD, go check out the neraph race, from The Planar Handbook. It has a nice make-a-flat-footed-attack-on-a-charge-1/enemy/combat ability. It's an outsider, so it automatically has proficiency with martial weapons, and it's great to abuse with Polymorph and Alter Self. Oh, and 0 LA and 0 RHD.

Karnith
2014-02-09, 08:17 AM
If you want to cut down on the LA and RHD, go check out the neraph race, from The Planar Handbook.
It's also available for free on the mothership (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2).

Ravens_cry
2014-02-09, 08:44 AM
It's also available for free on the mothership (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2).
Eh, I think a DM would be perfectly within their rights to not let them in a game, if only because it wouldn't fit in most worlds. I personally would want a good backstory explaining what they are doing on the material plane and why.

Rubik
2014-02-09, 09:02 AM
Eh, I think a DM would be perfectly within their rights to not let them in a game, if only because it wouldn't fit in most worlds. I personally would want a good backstory explaining what they are doing on the material plane and why."I came here on vacation."

"My parents moved here when I was little."

"I'm hunting crumple-horned snorkacks, and I'm on my way to the Eastern Deserts where they live."

"I got here on accident when I tripped and fell through a portal. I like it here, so I think I'll stick around."

Why does any character exist anywhere? It's not like it's a big deal.

Ravens_cry
2014-02-09, 09:14 AM
"I came here on vacation."

"My parents moved here when I was little."

"I'm hunting crumple-horned snorkacks, and I'm on my way to the Eastern Deserts where they live."

"I got here on accident when I tripped and fell through a portal. I like it here, so I think I'll stick around."

Why does any character exist anywhere? It's not like it's a big deal.
Actually, I'd say it is a big deal. That's why we have back stories at all, but it's easier to justify a dwarf or a halfling or an elf having a connection with the story than some being from another plane. Having a reason is better than no reason at all.

Rubik
2014-02-09, 09:18 AM
Actually, I'd say it is a big deal. That's why we have back stories at all, but it's easier to justify a dwarf or a halfling or an elf having a connection with the story than some being from another plane. Having a reason is better than no reason at all.A reason is good. A 20-page backstory reason, probably not. As a writer, I enjoy making deep, complex characters, both in stories and in roleplaying. Backstories can be simple without impinging on having a fulfilling roleplaying experience, while motivations should be at least somewhat complex -- or at least there should be enough simple motivations that there's the illusion of depth.

Ravens_cry
2014-02-09, 09:29 AM
A reason is good. A 20-page backstory reason, probably not. As a writer, I enjoy making deep, complex characters, both in stories and in roleplaying. Backstories can be simple without impinging on having a fulfilling roleplaying experience, while motivations should be at least somewhat complex -- or at least there should be enough simple motivations that there's the illusion of depth.
Gods, you don't need 20 pages, but some reason that fits with the intended tone is, indeed, good.

Rubik
2014-02-09, 09:49 AM
Gods, you don't need 20 pages, but some reason that fits with the intended tone is, indeed, good.Well, I'm not sure how "My parents moved to this plane when I was young and are currently glassblowers in Greyhawk" is less fitting than "My parents are human dirt-farmers under one of the lords near Candlekeep." In both cases, one can easily find a magic sword and get attacked or kidnapped or what have you and be thrust into an adventure.

Ramza00
2014-02-09, 10:44 AM
Do not forget time of battle items. 3000 gp gets you any 3rd level maneuver.

Leading the charge 1st level stance is your il as bonus damage, usually this will be near half your HD or higher.
Battle leader charge 2nd is bonus 10 damage
War leader charge 6th is a bonus 35 damage
War master charge 9th is a bonus 50 damage

Morof Stonehands
2014-02-09, 10:52 AM
Nice stuff suggested here, lots to think about, and some questions:

Can the Rhino's Hide (Dungeon Master's Guide) be dragoncrafted (Draconomicon) to be considered light armor?

If I carried 2 Halberds of Vaulting (Arms and Equipment guide) (Yay 4 arms!), do I do double double damage on my jumping charge? I know the jump bonuses don't stack, but would those?

Right now I'm thinking of taking a level in Barbarian, for fast movement, 5 levels in Scout (Complete Adventurer) for fast movement, and skirmish damage, maybe a level or 2 in fighter for some feats, and maybe some warblade or swordsage for Tiger claw jump maneuvers (Tome of Battle). Or maybe just all Tome of Battle classes.

Thoughts?

Fax Celestis
2014-02-09, 11:15 AM
Shape Soulmeld (Thunderstep Greaves): Add 1d4 sonic on a charge, +Ed4 extra sonic based on essential investment (which you can pick up with Cobalt Power and similar). For another feat (Open Least Chakra), you can bind it to your feet chakra: while it seals off your feet slot, it also adds a save or stun to every attack you land after a charge (DC = 10 + E + Wis mod, which may be worth dropping a feat for Ability Focus on to boost that DC up).

Jgosse
2014-02-10, 07:41 AM
Actually, I'd say it is a big deal. That's why we have back stories at all, but it's easier to justify a dwarf or a halfling or an elf having a connection with the story than some being from another plane. Having a reason is better than no reason at all.

I agree and had to do so In the past. One of my favorite characters I have ever played is a Githzerai Ranger but I needed a reason he was on this plane. So my reason was as a child his family was attacked by Githyanki dragon knights and his mother used her plane shift ability to get them out of there but died shortly after. He was adopted by an elven ranger and badda bing back story(The short version).