PDA

View Full Version : Random Table Abuse: Warp Touch or Reincarnate + Limited Wish = Goodies

RandomSpectator
2014-02-08, 02:46 PM
OK, recently I re-read the entry for Limited Wish and noticed the part about being able not just to emulate existing spells, but to

"Produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects, such as a single creature automatically hitting on its next attack or taking a -7 penalty on its next saving throw." -SRD

If the part about a subject automatically hitting on its next attack is read as determining the specific result of an otherwise random roll (you get a natural 20. No, you don't threaten a critical hit. Stop whining), then it seems plausible to extrapolate that you could instead use limited wish to choose a specific result out of an otherwise random table.

If that conclusion is reasonable, then you could gain various stat boni or other fun goodies from being struck with a WarpSword (BoVD) and/or choose a specific form to reincarnate into. Either way, some potentially fun cheese to work with.

My question: Is the above scheme of using Limited Wish to assign the otherwise random outcome of an effect such as Warp Touch or Reincarnate actually plausible and/or a reasonable reading of the capabilities of that spell? Please discuss.

*Edit* This is for 3.5 rules, not Pathfinder.

Cruiser1
2014-02-08, 06:17 PM
Is the above scheme of using Limited Wish to assign the otherwise random outcome of an effect such as Warp Touch or Reincarnate actually plausible and/or a reasonable reading of the capabilities of that spell? Please discuss.
Ultimately it's up to the DM. One way of looking at it, is that it seems beyond the ability of Limited Wish. That's because even the full Wish spell doesn't let you choose the results of Reincarnate. The most the full Wish spell allows with respect to Reincarnate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm) is let you have your original form (just one option, instead of picking from all options).

Also look at it in terms of money. A Reincarnate costs 1000 gold, while a full Wish is worth 25000 gold or effectively 25 Reincarnates. To get the result of say Bugbear (result 01 on d%) for Reincarnate happens 1/100 of the time, so normally needs 100 Reincarnations on average. That would be worth 100000 gold, or 4 full Wishes instead of just 1 Limited Wish.

TuggyNE
2014-02-08, 11:02 PM
OK, recently I re-read the entry for Limited Wish and noticed the part about being able not just to emulate existing spells, but to

"Produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects, such as a single creature automatically hitting on its next attack or taking a -7 penalty on its next saving throw." -SRD

If the part about a subject automatically hitting on its next attack is read as determining the specific result of an otherwise random roll (you get a natural 20. No, you don't threaten a critical hit. Stop whining), then it seems plausible to extrapolate that you could instead use limited wish to choose a specific result out of an otherwise random table.

If that conclusion is reasonable, then you could gain various stat boni or other fun goodies from being struck with a WarpSword (BoVD) and/or choose a specific form to reincarnate into. Either way, some potentially fun cheese to work with.

My question: Is the above scheme of using Limited Wish to assign the otherwise random outcome of an effect such as Warp Touch or Reincarnate actually plausible and/or a reasonable reading of the capabilities of that spell? Please discuss.

At most, I could see limited wish letting you pick which 5% chunk of the reincarnate table to roll in. But even that, since it's an instantaneous race-changing effect, is usually a good bit more powerful than a single attack roll. So probably something closer to "pick which fifth of the table you want to roll in". would be fairer; maybe wish could get you to a 10% or even 5% range, but probably not all the way down to 1%.

RandomSpectator
2014-02-08, 11:52 PM
Cruiser1: Reincarnate is 1,000 Gp and 4th level, Raise Dead is 5,000 Gp and 5th level. Both can be emulated, with appropriate components or increase in xp spent, by Limited Wish as well as Wish.

Also, Wish explicitly lets you force a re-roll of ANY roll just made, even by another character. That's a pretty potent, in-combat application which can in theory turn the tide of whole encounters if used cleverly. What I'm proposing is only concerned with what happens to your own character out of combat, which distinction is worth noting.

TuggyNE: your assessment is intriguing and brings up an important point that realistically, Wish is a better bet in this matter. I was just testing the waters to see what was the general opinion on this proposed scheme.