PDA

View Full Version : Reach weapons in D&D Next/5.0

kpumphre
2014-02-08, 02:53 PM
OK so I was thinking of using a Halberd that gives reach. it says reach adds +5 to your attack range. So does that mean I can't attack the square in front of me? Also how does that work with the feat short half which says I treat it as a double weapon. Would that feat grant me a second attack? or just let me attack with in that range?

Scow2
2014-02-08, 02:57 PM
You threaten the entire area around you, no "Dead zone" directly in front of you (They mentioned future plans to have reach weapons attack at disadvantage in direct melee) Short haft means you get an extra attack, like any type of two-weapon fighting.

kpumphre
2014-02-08, 03:05 PM
Ok thanks does it explain that somewhere my dm, thought it was like the majority of 3.5 reach weapons.

Joe the Rat
2014-02-08, 04:39 PM
All the weapon property says is that when attacking, your reach increases by five feet. Nothing about dead zones or limitations - just more reach.

If you want a rationale, say that it would make sense for a trained piker to know how to choke up to hit an adjacent foe.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-09, 12:48 AM
You threaten the entire area around you, no "Dead zone" directly in front of you (They mentioned future plans to have reach weapons attack at disadvantage in direct melee) Short haft means you get an extra attack, like any type of two-weapon fighting.

Well that's a good bit to throw into the new edition. I always thought it was rather silly that spear-users in 3.X were somehow, unless they selected an extremely obscure feat, physically incapable of adjusting their hand positions to allow themselves to strike adjacent foes. I mean, some penalty might be in order if that's not the intended use, but it should still be possible.

Knaight
2014-02-09, 02:29 AM
Well that's a good bit to throw into the new edition. I always thought it was rather silly that spear-users in 3.X were somehow, unless they selected an extremely obscure feat, physically incapable of adjusting their hand positions to allow themselves to strike adjacent foes. I mean, some penalty might be in order if that's not the intended use, but it should still be possible.

Technically speaking it could be used as an improvised weapon at that range, as the improvised weapon rules don't necessarily make it a reach weapon.

This is still kind of dumb - I've sparred with a lot of spears, and you can choke up on anything up to a short pike pretty easily. By the short pike point it's very unwieldy to do so, and even with shorter spears if you're in range of shorter weapons you're already at a disadvantage, but they're nowhere near improvised weapons.

kpumphre
2014-02-09, 07:41 PM
So got an updated version of the rules yesterday. Feat Pole arm Mastery

Gives:
1. Proficiency with said weapons
2. Makes it a double weapon with 1d4
3. You can make AOO on creatures entering your range instead of just leaving it.

Of course you now can not get feats till 2nd level (For fighter) up to 4th level (for Bard) It's your choice at those levels to get them so doesn't really come in to effect anymore thanks for the help though.

Scow2
2014-02-09, 11:59 PM
Technically speaking it could be used as an improvised weapon at that range, as the improvised weapon rules don't necessarily make it a reach weapon.

This is still kind of dumb - I've sparred with a lot of spears, and you can choke up on anything up to a short pike pretty easily. By the short pike point it's very unwieldy to do so, and even with shorter spears if you're in range of shorter weapons you're already at a disadvantage, but they're nowhere near improvised weapons.That's not so much a nerf/nonsense for polearm use as a boost to improvised weapon fighting... sort of. In 3.5, you'd likely suffer a -2 for fighting with a choked spear (Had the system not decided to say "No, you can't attack an adjacent target without Yet Another Feat Tax), while Improvised weapons are -4... but in D&D Next, both situations are resolved under the easier-to-adjudicate "Disadvantage" mechanic.

TheOOB
2014-02-10, 02:57 AM

With how the 3.x combat system is designed, reach is a super powerful ability(especially with AoO's), so they needed a disadvantage, otherwise why would you ever use a greatsword, which should be just as good of a weapon choice.