PDA

View Full Version : Any tips how make your game scary?

S@tanicoaldo
2014-02-08, 03:30 PM
I really love horror.

But I'm just starting with this DM thing...

So any tips of how to make a game feel scary from you Dms with more experience?

Amechra
2014-02-08, 05:03 PM
First of all, report this thread to a mod so that it can get moved to the roleplaying forum; this is not the forum that's going to get you any advice.

Secondly, make your victi- players doubt reality. I once got my players really creeped out by denying that a scene we had just roleplayed had happened in game, with the details of everything edited to match.

Here is a thread of creepy stuff (http://community.wizards.com/forum/rpgs-general-discussion/threads/892886) you can mine for ideas; I've found a few of the ideas can be very effective. //Note: It is VERY long. VERY VERY long.

Another useful resource is this. (http://www.mindspring.com/~ernestm/horror/horror.html)

Grinner
2014-02-08, 05:43 PM
Not having GMed such a game, I can't really say anything for sure. I would think that the age old adage "Show. Don't tell." applies doubly here, though.

Also, atmosphere. Have some way of playing music quietly in the background, and by music, I mean suitable background noise like the rumbling of machinery, not actual music.

almightycoma
2014-02-08, 05:53 PM
I've run a couple of horror campaigns and here's whats worked for me.
1. Run it in a small area not the middle of a continent. It makes them more engaged/afraid if they cant just pick a direction and keep running till they find help. I like islands, deep underground lairs,demi-planes.
2. pick strange/gross monsters as the main enemies. aberrations, undead and the like. Never use the things MM name to describe it use a detailed physical description with great adjectives.
3. isolate the PC's. If they cant find/get help it makes them work together and puts them on edge. don't give them many safe rest spots, and if they do find one don't let it last long. If a spot stays safe to long they tend to hunker down, and it becomes a game of besieging the player's keep.
4. use gore and vile acts in abundance and describe them in detail.
5. don't allow a glorious victory. Make each win come at a cost if they can scrape a win together at all. But try to keep a TPK from happening until dramatically appropriate. i feel its ok to even have them lose the overall goal for a tragic ending in horror games.
6. try to keep a lid on the OOC jokes they ruin the mood.