PDA

View Full Version : Dive powers to the faithful - How to make gods works like Dungeon crawl stone soup?

S@tanicoaldo
2014-02-08, 04:34 PM
Dungeon crawl stone soup has to be my favorite game of all times.

And I really love the gods in that game and how they work, basically you don't need to be a cleric to get divine powers. Any one can workship and be blessed with powers. You just need to follow the rules and commands of your god the more you do that the more Piety you get and consequent more powers. but if you do things that are displeasing for your god you may feel his wrath.

Any ideias how to do soemthing like that in a tabletop?

More details here: http://crawl.chaosforge.org/God

Day_Dreamer
2014-02-08, 06:29 PM
Dungeon crawl stone soup has to be my favorite game of all times.

And I really love the gods in that game and how they work, basically you don't need to be a cleric to get divine powers. Any one can workship and be blessed with powers. You just need to follow the rules and commands of your god the more you do that the more Piety you get and consequent more powers. but if you do things that are displeasing for your god you may feel his wrath.

Any ideias how to do soemthing like that in a tabletop?

More details here: http://crawl.chaosforge.org/God

The simplest way to do it would be to just copy the mechanical system from Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup:

Have players gain a "piety" stat, from 1-100 or such. Each god has a clear condition for gaining and losing piety. Players unlock new Divine powers as their piety increases. For the sake of game balance, you may wish to have penalties that come along with these powers, so that worshiping a god isn't objectively better than not worshiping a god.

Example:
Trog.
Gain piety +1 for a kill. Gain piety +1 for destroying magic. Lose piety -5 for using magic or associating with a magic user
Powers:
1+: Gain the Rage power, as the Barbarian class feature.
10+: Smite Magic. As a standard action, you may lose 1 piety to deal level-d6 points of damage to a magic user, or render a magic item hot to the touch (as the spell burning disarm)
etc.

S@tanicoaldo
2014-02-08, 06:49 PM
The simplest way to do it would be to just copy the mechanical system from Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup:

Have players gain a "piety" stat, from 1-100 or such. Each god has a clear condition for gaining and losing piety. Players unlock new Divine powers as their piety increases. For the sake of game balance, you may wish to have penalties that come along with these powers, so that worshiping a god isn't objectively better than not worshiping a god.

Example:
Trog.
Gain piety +1 for a kill. Gain piety +1 for destroying magic. Lose piety -5 for using magic or associating with a magic user
Powers:
1+: Gain the Rage power, as the Barbarian class feature.
10+: Smite Magic. As a standard action, you may lose 1 piety to deal level-d6 points of damage to a magic user, or render a magic item hot to the touch (as the spell burning disarm)
etc.

Thanks... Yeah it was simpler than i thought. I guess I could make really hard conditions so there will be no need for penalties.

Thanks.

Eloel
2014-02-09, 04:20 AM
Any method that you provide for piety gain, players will find a way to abuse and hit 100 cap. Just keep aware of that :smallsmile:

Ziegander
2014-02-09, 05:33 AM
Just make the cap increase with character level, max 5 piety per character level. I actually quite like the idea.