PDA

View Full Version : Stand Still!

GutterFace
2014-02-08, 04:49 PM
i hope someone can give me some clarification and or advice on this one.

Let's say i have a fighter with a reach weapon and the stand still feat. and after my turn, a mounted melee combatant breaks into the threat range. should i go for the mount vs. the rider?

im assuming if i hit the mount and cause it to stop the rider could still act. what if i did the opposite? if i hit the rider, he in theory can't control the mount right? do they both stop?

OldTrees1
2014-02-08, 05:05 PM
Why not both?

When you and our mount move, you both are subject to attacks of opportunity from your foes (your mount might be the one actually doing the moving, but you're moving as well). For example, when you and your mount leave a threatened space, you both provoke attacks of opportunity from foes that threaten that space. A foe who can make multiple attacks of opportunity in a round (for example, a foe with a high Dexterity score and the Combat Reflexes feat) can make an attack of opportunity against you and one against your mount.

GutterFace
2014-02-08, 05:07 PM
assuming i dont have combat reflexes

OldTrees1
2014-02-08, 05:09 PM
assuming i dont have combat reflexes

Then do it against the mount. The mount is the one doing the actual moving so doing it against only the rider would have no effect. The rider will probably dismount and continue moving past you while mocking your lack of Combat Reflexes but at least you stopped one of the two.

GutterFace
2014-02-08, 05:15 PM
hahahha yes the rider would mock me. sadly i dont think he can move since i thought riders/mounts move actions were tied together? anyways dismounting takes an action so im pretty sure he'd be spent.

inversely back to part 1 of my thought. if you used stand still against the rider would it stop him from handling the animal and the mount would stop?

OldTrees1
2014-02-08, 05:27 PM
Dismounting is a free action for Ride check DC 20.

Guiding a mount with your knees is a non action and thus not prevented by Stand Still.

So using Stand Still against the rider does nothing unless the rider was going to dismount and move themselves.

However you are allowed to make a Trip check against the mounted opponent in order to dismount them and have them fall prone. They can oppose your Str check with a Ride check.