PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Wands (who casts what) and Temporal Stasis

AlchemicalMyst
2014-02-08, 08:25 PM
Been a long while but a few questions popped up in a recent campaign about using wands:

First off, who is considered the caster of the spell on the wand? Is it the subject who used the spell during the creation of the wand, the subject who is using the wand, or the wand itself. This came up in a scenario where one of my players had her Dispel Magic Wand stolen. She immediately flipped out thinking that they could now dispel any of her spells instantly because of the part of Dispel Magic that states, "You automatically succeed on your dispel check against any spell that you cast yourself." I assured her that it's not how it works and that the checks would still need to be made. It got me thinking though, have I been wrong all this time? How would you rule that?

Now, for Temporal Stasis. Luckily Pathfinder already has a better worded description but still doesn't answer a question I've always had. Can someone be moved while effected by this spell? For reference the description is below. The spell states that the subject is put into a "suspended animation" and that "Its body functions virtually cease, and no force or effect can harm it." I personally rule that they are movable but I'm interested to see how others interpret it.

Description:
You must succeed on a melee touch attack. You place the subject into a state of suspended animation. For the creature, time ceases to flow, and its condition becomes fixed. The creature does not grow older. Its body functions virtually cease, and no force or effect can harm it. This state persists until the magic is removed (such as by a successful dispel magic spell or a freedom spell).

Slipperychicken
2014-02-08, 10:37 PM
As for the wands, I believe the current user is considered to be the caster for the purpose of spell effects.

Bigbeefie
2014-02-08, 10:52 PM
Like scrolls wands are equal to the Creators CL and Save DC at time of creation.

Typically Wands and scrolls are considered Minimum unless otherwise stated or Paid for a higher CL to be made/found at market.

AlchemicalMyst
2014-02-08, 11:14 PM
Like scrolls wands are equal to the Creators CL and Save DC at time of creation.

Typically Wands and scrolls are considered Minimum unless otherwise stated or Paid for a higher CL to be made/found at market.
I guess I should have been clearer in my post. I'm well aware of how wands work in regards to CL and DCs.

I meant for my question to ask who is considered the caster of the Dispel Magic as pertaining to the 'Dispelling your own spells' clause of the spell.

Example Situation:
• Subject A make a wand of Dispel Magic.
• Subject A casts Fog Cloud
• Subject A then gives the Dispel Magic wand to Subject B who uses it on Fog Cloud.
A) Is Dispel Magic considered cast by its creator, Subject A, and therefore no roll required?
B) Is Dispel Magic considered cast by the wand and therefore a dispel roll is made?
C) Or, is Dispel Magic considered to be cast by Subject B and therefore a dispel roll is made?

Psyren
2014-02-09, 03:14 AM
The user of the wand is the spellcaster.

"casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action..."

AlchemicalMyst
2014-02-09, 02:45 PM

However using a wand does not count as actually casting a spell for any purposes (feats, abilities, etc) nor are any caster dependent stats determined from the user of the wand. Which is what lead me to this train of thought in the first place.

But I appreciate the input. There have been a few discussions before on these boards of how wands and casters relate. Often it is accepted that the wand is casting the spell not the one activating it for all accounts and purposes. Personally I've always ruled it was the one activating but thanks to thoughtful players and reading those topics on here realized I may been one of the only ruling it in such a way.

Drachasor
2014-02-09, 02:54 PM

One could interpret the text as the wand casting the spell with the user directing it.