PDA

View Full Version : Improve Low-Tier Classes with Versatile Performance

krackenjack
2014-02-08, 08:46 PM
Came up with this idea on another thread and liked it so much I thought I should give it it's own thread so everyone can tell me what's wrong with the idea. :)

One of the limits for many low-tier classes is lack of versatility, especially out of combat. To help address this, these classes could receive an ability similar to Versatile Performance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard#TOC-Versatile-Performance-Ex-). Similar to archetypes, these would more specifically define the PC's role as compared to other members of th same class.

For example:

Fighters: pick one warleader role; you may use your BAB+Strength Modifier, plus applicable feats, in place of skill modifier for three applicable skills based on that role. Roles include: Commander, Master of Horse, Quartermaster, Drill Sergent, etc.

Monk: Meditative, Monastery Leader, Itinerant Monk, Boisterous Monk, etc.

(I don't want to go through a and assign skills to each of these right now but you can see how each would get its own unique, flavorful assortment of skills.)

Depending how powerful/useful you think Versatile Performance is, this could be a one-time ability or they could gain an additional role every X levels. Or they could gain a relevant bonus feat (or small number thereof).

Thoughts?

Flickerdart
2014-02-08, 09:38 PM
Or you can just give fighters et al 2 extra skill points and a bigger list. It still won't help much, but it would be less contrived.

Sir Chuckles
2014-02-08, 10:51 PM
Or you can just give fighters et al 2 extra skill points and a bigger list. It still won't help much, but it would be less contrived.

Or allow (require?) players to use the myriad of Fighter variants that do that in exchange for either a smaller/different proficiency and bonus feat list.

I think the problem is that some classes are fundamentally flawed.

eggynack
2014-02-08, 10:56 PM
Definitely. Simplicity is a great virtue where rules changes are concerned.

Or allow (require?) players to use the myriad of Fighter variants that do that in exchange for either a smaller/different proficiency and bonus feat list.

I think the problem is that some classes are fundamentally flawed.

Why not just do it at zero cost? It's not like it'd hurt balance any. Zhentarim soldier is a big step in the right direction, offering fancy skill-powers for nothing.