PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Build, Need Advice and Help

HereBeMonsters
2014-02-09, 01:01 AM
Ok so this might end up solely as a thought experiment but I really want to set this up.

I want to make a Sorcerer who gets a bit more spells known and capable of being the sterotypical magic wielder who has a bit of every type of magic and so forth.
I was thinking adding the Arcane Preparation and the Greyhawk Method feats.

Can anyone think of anything else I need to fill out the spells known slots? I don't know if Collegiate Wizard would work with it.

HunterOfJello
2014-02-09, 02:47 AM
Check out the bloodline feats in the Dragon Compendium. They'll give you a new spell known at each level from a preset list.

Arcane Disciple is often a good choice too if you have a decent Wisdom score and pick a domain that doesn't rely in save DCs. *edit* Scratch that. Arcane Disciple is good for pretty much anyone except a Sorcerer.

There are many items that allow you to turn your normal spells into other ones a certain number of times per day. I would check out the Magic Item Compendium for these. The entire Raiment of the Four item set can help a sorcerer out a great deal. I dislike the item that lets you turn spells into fireball 3 times per day, but that's because the save DC is already decided and is too low. The Amulet that lets you turn a spell cast into Freedom of movement 2/day, the belt that lets you convert a spell into Teleport 2/day, and the gloves that let you turn a spell into Magic Missile 3/day are all amazing.

The Robe of Mysterious Conjurations (MiC) is also very useful and has great scaling. It lets you convert a spell cast into the same level equivalent Summon Monster spell 3 times per day. This item is amazing not only because of the utility and scaling, but because the summoning is a Standard Action and the creature can act immediately. It also lets your sorcerer avoid choosing any of the Summon Monster spells and just use this item instead (as long as he's fine with summoning 3 times per day).

Runestaves are also amazing, but require your personal analysis for a decision one which one to go with. It's also worth considering making a custom one to use.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-09, 02:55 AM
Take the Ancestral Relic feat in BoED and make it a custom Runestaff from MIC p224. You can freely decide which spells are on it, and switch as many spells as you want for different ones every time you modify it.

If the party would sell junk loot for half price buy it out of the pool for that much, you'll get a cut of that back when the cash is split and you can sacrifice the full value of that loot into the relic. That way you can upgrade it for less than half price, and you can even store extra value in it above the maximum magic value to use later.

When you modify it, if you switch out spells for the same level but don't change the item's total magic value, the value increase is zero so the time it takes to modify it is multiplied by zero. You still need to be in a Consecrated area or similar, but you can switch around its spells without even spending a free action, because a free action is an amount of time greater than zero.

A Runestaff's base item is a staff, so make it an Elvencraft (Composite) Longbow as that can function as a quarterstaff (double weapon) and as a bow. Get all three portions masterwork, and get it with three wand chambers. You can enchant it as a magic weapon in addition to being a runestaff, so for example put +1 Defending on all three portions and use Greater Magic Weapon to increase their bonus, Defending specifically stacks with all other bonuses which includes other Defending weapons. You can put three wands in it and they're always at the ready while you're holding your runestaff. You can even put charges of spells on it like a magical staff, and recharge it by upgrading it as normal.

nedz
2014-02-09, 02:57 AM
Arcane Disciple doesn't add to spells known unfortunately, just to your spell list.

The Mother Cyst feat (LM p28) adds a few.

The Sand Shaper PrC from Sandstorm adds a whole bunch of spells known.

Raptorian Sorcerer Substitution Level (RW p162) adds a few Air spells.

HunterOfJello
2014-02-09, 03:37 AM
Arcane Disciple doesn't add to spells known unfortunately, just to your spell list.

Wow. I had missed out on the specifics of that feat before. That's really really horrible for sorcerers. That sucks. Feats that overwhelmingly benefit wizards while ignoring sorcerer make me angry (even though I am a wizard fan).

Waker
2014-02-09, 04:54 AM
Mage of the Arcane Order is a very good PrC to add spells to your repertoire.

nedz
2014-02-09, 05:03 AM
Wow. I had missed out on the specifics of that feat before. That's really really horrible for sorcerers. That sucks. Feats that overwhelmingly benefit wizards while ignoring sorcerer make me angry (even though I am a wizard fan).

There are a lot of them, but Arcane Disciple is best on the fixed list casters: Beguiler, Warmage and Dread Necromancer. Of course these are of a lower tier to begin with, but still.

Petrocorus
2014-02-09, 10:01 AM
There is the Domain Access ACF from Complete Champion which do the same that Arcane Disciple but at least let use Charisma as casting stat and gives you the domain granted power.

The Dragonic Legacy feat from RotD that gives 3 additional spell known.

nedz
2014-02-09, 11:25 AM
The Domain Access ACF is pretty awful. At every even level from 4th Sorcerers get to pick one new spell of the next highest level which they get to spam: unless they took Domain Access, in which case they get the domain spell instead but they can only cast it 1/day. Now you can use up the otherwise unusable slots, in your highest available spell level note, to power metamagic etc. but otherwise you are stuck.

HereBeMonsters
2014-02-09, 02:35 PM
I will take the Ancestral Relic feat at level 3 then.

I am building this from level 1 on so that helps.
I was going to take the Greyhawk Method and the Arcane Prep (Flaw feats)
And Eschew Materials.

Do you think the Elf things from Easy Bake Wizard might translate over well?