PDA

View Full Version : rod of absorbtion+warlock=unfair

shylocke
2014-02-09, 01:10 AM
Recently made the best backup weapon for my party. Each member now has a rod that can do ridiculous DMG for free

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-09, 01:15 AM
50k is a -lot- of gold until near the level you could craft the thing and by that point a warlock acting as a spell battery for his more magical allies is probably contributing about as well as he could be expected to. An eldritch theurge, on the other hand, .......

shylocke
2014-02-09, 01:23 AM
I was just running on the fact that once we had the rods. I could charge them for free hella fast

Mithril Leaf
2014-02-09, 01:48 AM
Generally 50k for a mere 50 spell levels is a poor trade off.

TuggyNE
2014-02-09, 02:53 AM
Generally 50k for a mere 50 spell levels is a poor trade off.

To expand on this, the rods cannot be recharged after they've absorbed their full potential. It's not "50 spell levels at a time", which might indeed be a decent investment, it's "50 spell levels, ever".

There is an artifact that allows up to 50 at a time, but unfortunately, unlike the rod of absorption, staffs of the magi don't tell you how many they've absorbed and can explode if overcharged; they are also impossible to craft or put in WBL.

Snowbluff
2014-02-09, 09:44 AM
If you think that's broken, have everyone but the warlock take the Spellfire Wielder feat. That Warlock can keep the spellfire fire pools topped off between fights.

Invader
2014-02-09, 01:14 PM
This trick is pretty old hat and as been mentioned it's a one time use for 50 charges which makes it entirely underwhelming. I could see if you could keep charging it up but otherwise it's hardly worth it.

ShurikVch
2014-02-09, 04:16 PM
IIRR, in Dragon #339 was Planescape-specific PrC - Incantifer.
It, basically, turn your PC into living rod of absorption without level limit.
Any spell stopped by your Incantifer's SR (20 + class level), can be used to heal yourself, or to recharge your spells.
Go Eldritch Theurge/Incantifer, EB yourself between encounters, and nova at every encounter... :smallwink:

Werephilosopher
2014-02-09, 07:03 PM
IIRR, in Dragon #339 was Planescape-specific PrC - Incantifer.
It, basically, turn your PC into living rod of absorption without level limit.
Any spell stopped by your Incantifer's SR (20 + class level), can be used to heal yourself, or to recharge your spells.
Go Eldritch Theurge/Incantifer, EB yourself between encounters, and nova at every encounter... :smallwink:

Sadly that won't work, because warlocks don't actually cast 6th-level arcane spells.