PDA

View Full Version : let's vote up a character!

Stake A Vamp
2014-02-09, 10:57 AM
so. let's put it simply. I'm Bored!!!!

I usually DM. that's because of years of player experience, and being the most rules savvy.

but a friend has asked to DM. i decided "why not?" and so, now we have a new campaign coming up.

my dilemma... what to play?

so, i have decided i will happily play anything. so, let's see what the playground votes for.

the books we are playing with are Core, Psionic's, Savage Species, and the MMII

let's start with class category

votes for

Warrior/meat-shield
arcane caster
divine caster
skill monkey
other (for the sake of cthulhu, specify)
Psion

let the voting begin!
edit okay, so, we have five other players. and here's what they usually play
Sebastian: he is as experienced a gamer as i am (more experience role-player, by far. he was raised a gamer, but he is not nearly as well versed in the game mechanics, so i consider us equals) he usually will play whatever the party needs, and he will put his own unique (or at least unorthodox) spin on it (i.e. we needed a fighter. he does a BFS halfling, we needed a rogue, he uses a half-orc, and his goblin paladin was brilliant!)

Alison: she likes to play characters as mad as she is, so her favoured classes are rouge, sorcerer, and barbarian. she usually play's them fairly straight, and her alignment is either chaotic, or evil, or both.

Elliot: Seb's little brother, elliot is usually either he crazyiest in the group, or the straight man. he prefer's skill classes such as ranger and rogue.

Evan and ruben: are very much wild card's. they are new to roleplaying, and don't really know what they want to play yet. so it is a time of exploration for them (though meg usually chimes in with an idea [or twelve] for them)

SPoilaaja
2014-02-09, 11:09 AM
Go with something else, 5.

The Trickster
2014-02-09, 11:15 AM
If I may ask;
How many other players?
Do you know what they are playing?
How much do you optimize your characters?

Stake A Vamp
2014-02-09, 11:33 AM
Go with something else, 5.
such as....?

If I may ask;
How many other players?
Do you know what they are playing?
How much do you optimize your characters?

oh, yeah, that is useful information:smallredface:

okay, editing the original post to give this info

SPoilaaja
2014-02-09, 11:42 AM
If you can't decide what to play, choose to play everything! Factotum/Chameleon

Stake A Vamp
2014-02-09, 11:45 AM
If you can't decide what to play, choose to play everything! Factotum/Chameleon

okay, forgot to mention what books we are playing with (core, savage species, psionic's handbook, and the monster-Manuel II )

Ruethgar
2014-02-09, 12:08 PM
So... casters dominate then. Melee is generally bad if you don't have Complete Champion or Tome of Battle. I feel like arcane casters are played too much and would probably suggest divine, my personal preference being for druids for their flavor.

You said the books, but are you including any non-book sources as well, online only content or magazines?

SPoilaaja
2014-02-09, 12:10 PM
If you go druid, pick up jermlaine from Monster manual II

Brookshw
2014-02-09, 12:22 PM
Voting for Psion or psiwarrior.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-09, 12:33 PM
Psy Warrior. Also Monster Manuel just sounds like a pimp. :smalltongue:

Brookshw
2014-02-09, 12:35 PM

Rofl, or a luchadore, good catch!

Amphetryon
2014-02-09, 12:35 PM
3. Divine Caster (Druid)

The Trickster
2014-02-09, 01:39 PM
Hmmm I was going to say Bard, but core bards aren't as awesome as all books bards (at least in my opinion).

Given the party composition, I would go with druid or cleric. While I am not a huge fan of in combat healing, having a person available to heal after combat is helpful. Also, clerics make great buffers (obviously) and a druid...well...they can do just about anything anyway.

Suteinu
2014-02-09, 03:40 PM
Build a Bard/Cleric or a Rogue/Fighter.

Play a swashbuckler!:smallamused:

Astral Avenger
2014-02-09, 03:44 PM
second vote for this:

Build a Bard/Cleric or a Rogue/Fighter.

Play a swashbuckler!:smallamused:

Yorrin
2014-02-09, 04:34 PM
Starting level?

My vote goes to one of the Monster "classes" from savage species. I've had a lot of fun with a Medusa/Warlock and I've seen my wife play a fire elemental before to good effect.

nedz
2014-02-09, 06:15 PM
As the previous DM you are probably going to be typecast into a leadership type role, especially with new players. You have to choose whether to go with this or subvert it.
If you go with this then you should probably play a Cleric of some kind.
If you subvert it, well a Rogue of some kind.
Synthesising these ideas would make for a Cleric/Rogue type.
So the Swashbuckler ideas are good.

Alternatively you could choose to play a class which your group hasn't much experience with ?

You should see the electronic version :smallwink:

Zweisteine
2014-02-09, 06:22 PM
Anthropomorphic Bat Druid (or Cleric)! It's awesome, and your party lacks a divine caster.

Are you allowed to use any web materials?
Can you use the Spell Compendium (in case you only listed books relevant to character creation)?

Snowbluff
2014-02-09, 06:28 PM
Anthropomorphic Bat Druid (or Cleric)! It's awesome, and your party lacks a divine caster.

Voting for 3, this.

I think that makes 3 for druid.

Callin
2014-02-09, 07:35 PM
I take core to mean just the PHB, DMG, and MM? And the Psionics to just mean Expanded Psionics?

Horizon Tripper could be fun if you want the tanky type.
Arcane Trickster
Druid is always over suggested but you dont really have much by way of options in a core game.
So yea to play outside the box Savage Species could be the right fit.

kpumphre
2014-02-09, 07:46 PM
If you had completes then scout changeling, warshaper :)

But since no completes mentioned god that takes out a lot um I think Warlocks are PHB II, for a fun variety something different that a good player can have lots of fun with especially if you start as level 1

Stake A Vamp
2014-02-09, 07:50 PM
Starting level?

My vote goes to one of the Monster "classes" from savage species. I've had a lot of fun with a Medusa/Warlock and I've seen my wife play a fire elemental before to good effect.

Oh. iforgot about those:smallbiggrin:

i will add some that fit with the category when we vote for class (I.E. we pick warrior, i would put troll, minotaur, and maybe some demons/angels)

As the previous DM you are probably going to be typecast into a leadership type role, especially with new players. You have to choose whether to go with this or subvert it.
If you go with this then you should probably play a Cleric of some kind.
If you subvert it, well a Rogue of some kind.
Synthesising these ideas would make for a Cleric/Rogue type.
So the Swashbuckler ideas are good.

Alternatively you could choose to play a class which your group hasn't much experience with ?

You should see the electronic version :smallwink:

yeah... im not gonna be party leader (im a naturally shy person, and not well respected OOG, so, they are bad at listening to my suggestion's/orders)

but than's for the analysis.:smallbiggrin:

I take core to mean just the PHB, DMG, and MM? And the Psionics to just mean Expanded Psionics?

Horizon Tripper could be fun if you want the tanky type.
Arcane Trickster
Druid is always over suggested but you dont really have much by way of options in a core game.
So yea to play outside the box Savage Species could be the right fit.

"horizon tripper" that one's new. also, i mean the psionic's handbook, what is expanded psionic's?

Zombulian
2014-02-09, 07:59 PM
okay, forgot to mention what books we are playing with (core, savage species, psionic's handbook, and the monster-Manuel II )

Hehe. (http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8rv62E9JP1qapo3uo1_r1_500.gif)

Callin
2014-02-09, 08:18 PM
Same thing ;)

Snowbluff
2014-02-09, 08:23 PM
"horizon tripper" that one's new. also, i mean the psionic's handbook, what is expanded psionic's?

Here is the Horizon Tripper. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415)

Expanded Psionics Handbook is the 3.5 psionic handbook. The 3.0 one is an unmitigated piece of crap.

maniacalmojo
2014-02-09, 08:25 PM
Cant decide on a class? play them all.

just officially started my amnesia game and one character is a changeling factotum. each encounter she walks around and watches people fight for a turn then says "hey that looks fun" and becomes them.