PDA

View Full Version : Most interesting character

theKOT
2007-01-27, 08:53 PM
What character is the most interesting to read and find out about? Which one makes you think a little deeper? Which one fascinates you? Vote and post!

Megalomaniac2
2007-01-27, 08:59 PM
Miko, definitely. Everyone else is simply who they are, which is what makes them and the comic so strong- Vaarsuivius is always going to be Vaarsuvius, Belkar is always going to be Belkar, etcetera. But Miko is a friggin's wild card... I can't believe she's gone from the lovable bitch of strip 200 who berated hotel staff over the mattress tag to murdering poor Shojo. Definitely the most interesting.

Sisqui
2007-01-27, 09:02 PM
Miko definitely. Some love to hate her, some hate to love her, but everybody wants to know what she'll do next!

heretic
2007-01-27, 09:03 PM
Me love :thog: .

theKOT
2007-01-27, 09:05 PM
Me love :thog: .
But would you call him "interesting"? Funny yes, but have you ever spent much time pondering his motivations? He is pretty simplistic if you ask me.

Soniku
2007-01-27, 09:08 PM
Miko. I do tend to hate the paladin cliche she tends to act so strictly to, as of late her character has become very interesting, and now that all the sub-plots have been resolved, it's the thing I hope the giant follows up in the next few strips rather than skipping to the big attack on the city and going back to it in a few months.

Solara
2007-01-27, 09:09 PM
I voted Roy just because I have a lot of respect for the way he's pulled the party together into an efficient team, he showed tremendous amounts of maturity after alternately being screwed over by Miko/Shojo/his father, and just in general I think there's a lot more to him than most people realize - the 'straight man' responsible types always get overlooked in these kinds of polls.

I'm hoping the plot starts to focus on him more now that the 'rollercoaster ride' has begun and there won't be so many distracting subplots to deal with, and we get a few more great moments like when he refused to be tricked by Sabine. (One of my personal favorites, though I'm sure the fact that she got tossed out of a window had something to do with that too.)

Durkon was a close second, for similar reasons.

heretic
2007-01-27, 09:11 PM
Meh, he probably lands more punchlines than any other two characters combined. In a humor-based envirnment, that makes him "interesting". :smallwink:

theKOT
2007-01-27, 09:13 PM
Meh, he probably lands more punchlines than any other two characters combined. In a humor-based envirnment, that makes him "interesting". :smallwink:
If I do this thread again, I won't include an "other" option or thog, because people will vote for him on likeability and humor value, apparantly. "Interesting" is described in the Original Post. That was the guidelines for voting.

I voted Roy just because I have a lot of respect for the way he's pulled the party together into an efficient team, he showed tremendous amounts of maturity after alternately being screwed over by Miko/Shojo/his father, and just in general I think there's a lot more to him than most people realize - the 'straight man' responsible types always get overlooked in these kinds of polls.

I'm hoping the plot starts to focus on him more now that the 'rollercoaster ride' has begun and there won't be so many distracting subplots to deal with, and we get a few more great moments like when he refused to be tricked by Sabine. (One of my personal favorites, though I'm sure the fact that she got tossed out of a window had something to do with that too.)

Good points. They are definitely second and third for me.

teratorn
2007-01-27, 09:14 PM
What character is the most interesting to read and find out about? Which one makes you think a little deeper? Which one fascinates you? Vote and post!

Vote? Where's the poll? [Edit, ok it's there now]

My vote is for Miko. She really fascinates. Now that she will lose the blessings of the gods she will know fear and surely remorse. There could be some funny stuff about paladins who have to adapt to not being paladins.

Haley could be as interesting, she has an inner goodness, but also greed, a lot of insecurity, and the thing with her father. I have some hope the Giant will make a story arc based on her.

The male characters in this story are ok but don't offer much. None of them has a tragic dimension. Belkar is a psycho, Elan is too dumb, Durkon is too strict. Roy is a bit boring. V doesn't care enough about mundane affairs.

My choice for now is Miko with Haley a close second.

BrokenButterfly
2007-01-27, 09:20 PM
I'm voting with Miko too. Personally I feel that she's been interesting ever since she wasted the party twice in succession. There's not been much that has actually been able to do that so far.

Plus this twist is certainly going to make Belkar happy considering how long it took him to make Miko almost kill him...

Setra
2007-01-27, 09:44 PM
The fact Miko is winning reminds me of a quote "There is no such thing as bad publicity"

Ted_Stryker
2007-01-27, 09:53 PM
I'd have to think about whether to choose Miko or Haley for this one. They'd be my top two by a fairly wide margin.

mockingbyrd7
2007-01-27, 10:00 PM
Vote? Where's the poll? [Edit, ok it's there now]

My vote is for Miko. She really fascinates. Now that she will lose the blessings of the gods she will know fear and surely remorse. There could be some funny stuff about paladins who have to adapt to not being paladins.

Haley could be as interesting, she has an inner goodness, but also greed, a lot of insecurity, and the thing with her father. I have some hope the Giant will make a story arc based on her.

The male characters in this story are ok but don't offer much. None of them has a tragic dimension. Belkar is a psycho, Elan is too dumb, Durkon is too strict. Roy is a bit boring. V doesn't care enough about mundane affairs.

My choice for now is Miko with Haley a close second.

Agreed, and it's especially funny because Giant himself (I am pretty sure) has admitted to not liking writing female characters, yet the two main females in his story are the most interesting. (And no, it's not because they're pretty (though they are :smallwink:))

Axl_Rose
2007-01-27, 10:02 PM
Miko. <----

mport2004
2007-01-27, 10:04 PM
Miko or V
I hope that in an expantion for the board game miko will be playable

FullPlateJacket
2007-01-27, 10:07 PM

I agree with you on the things about Roy, but he's not who I find most interesting. Actually, I am most interested by Redcloak. (In retrospect, as the 'straight man' of the evil team, some of the same things apply.)

He shows two sides: hateful and compassionate. On one hand, he is compassionate towards his fellow goblins and towards non-hobgoblin non-human/elf/dwarf/etc., more so than Xykon (or most evil characters, and some "good" ones for that matter). He hates the sapphire guard due to having lost many friends and family members to fights with them (as opposed to them being "meddling fools who are in the way" like Xykon thinks of the OOTS).

On the other hand, he has shown an 'evil' side, especially when dealing with hobgoblins. He also gets in on some good healthy evil laughter, and has few qualms with sacrificing hobgoblin or undead soldiers.

However, all hobgoblin killings serve a purpose, like clearing the valley of loose rocks. He deals with the Thing in the Darkness as more of an annoying little brother than an object of malice. All in all, he's the kind of villain you like rather than the kind you hate.

I would also like to point out that normal Goblins as a race are als very interesting, as they're not all savages like some people think. Look at Goblin Dan!

teratorn
2007-01-27, 10:31 PM
But would you call him "interesting"? Funny yes, but have you ever spent much time pondering his motivations? He is pretty simplistic if you ask me.

There are not enough votes yet, but Thog is beating Belkar, something surprising. Has there ever been a poll on who would win a fight Thog vs Belkar?

fwiffo
2007-01-27, 11:06 PM
Of course, poll like that has very little validity posted right after #406. When there is a recent unusual development, of course, people will vote for that recent event. Which was probably the whole point of it - when you start with trying to arrive at a particular conclusion and then stack things so that you reach it, you are a Miko fan. Or you are Miko.

theKOT
2007-01-27, 11:19 PM
Of course, poll like that has very little validity posted right after #406. When there is a recent unusual development, of course, people will vote for that recent event. Which was probably the whole point of it - when you start with trying to arrive at a particular conclusion and then stack things so that you reach it, you are a Miko fan. Or you are Miko.
Um, no?
First off, I'm not trying to make people vote for Miko. I'm trying to make people vote for a character they find interesting, not amusing.
Secondly, No matter when you post this poll someone will always have had the most recent spotlight, so they will get more votes.
Thirdly, seeing as Miko sparks the most discussion, the most debate, and the most controversy of any character, she would probably win at any time.
Lastly, when you assume the worst of a person(or group of people) simply because you dislike them, you are acting a lot like Miko.

TinSoldier
2007-01-29, 12:38 AM
Miko would be first, of course. I think that Redcloak would probably be second.

WRT Roy, "mature" is one of the last adjectives that I would apply to him...

Raxtenko
2007-01-29, 01:25 AM
Miko gets my vote hands down.

skinkatlarge
2007-01-29, 02:01 AM
I'm not surprised Miko is winning; the timing of this poll smacks of a set-up. :P

I voted Redcloak - there's definitely a lot to him, and much to be revealed. I'm very interested in Sabine, too, though Rich hasn't explored her very much yet. What the heck is a literal incarnation of illicit sex doing with the LG? Besides the obvious. :P

Another runner-up is Roy, because I'm always a little surprised and pleased at just how fair-minded he is. It's an extra dimension to the straight man of the group that I enjoy seeing - as is V's surprising social insight.

Demented
2007-01-29, 02:26 AM
I'm dissappointed.
I see "Most Interesting Character", where Miko is going through the most "Interesting" story arc so far (I found the inn story arc to be even more "Interesting", if just to see Roy not in drag), posted by theKOT.

But that's not the silly part.

The first character in the poll is Miko.

I mean, damn, people. Can I at least have a challenge?

Anyway, if I were to be fair to all characters, the result is actually a surprise. Shojo. Simply Shojo. I want to hear the man's whole life story. Meatloaf day, Mr Scruffy, his ascent to power, his distrust of the paladins, his sister, his nephew, Soon... heck, Miko's life story is even included as a secondary bonus. The only thing he's missing is a love interest.

Of course, he's going to be outshined by the other more popular characters, but, ultimately, this is the guy. This Is The Guy.

ObadiahtheSlim
2007-01-29, 11:06 AM
I vote for Sojo being most interesting. While he isn't very lawful (own admission) he does clearly seem to be good. He has the best intentions for his people, but he will do what needs to be done even if it is against Soon's honor code (hence his non-lawful alignment).

The honest illusionist
2007-01-29, 11:13 AM
I vote for Red Cloak because he's very conflicted.

Amotis
2007-01-29, 11:19 AM
Who voted for Thog? :smallconfused:

Miko, probably the most indepth character so far and she's not even part of OOTS.

Haruki-kun
2007-01-29, 01:13 PM
At this moment in the story, it is Miko. Otherwise it would be Haley or Sabine.
Anyway........ I voted Miko