PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Side Quest Time!

BroomGuys
2014-02-09, 02:07 PM
The Order of the Stick has an airship now, and as you all know, this means it's time to ignore the main plot for an extended period of time and do side quests! I'm imagining a scene like this to end the current book:

:xykon: "Ah, nerts, looks like that Redblade guy got himself an airship."
:redcloak: "Sir, why exactly does that matter? We just teleported here."
:xykon: "Don't ask me why, but I've never had an evil plan come to fruition while the heroes were off sidequesting. Looks like we'll be sitting on our asses for a long time."

So what zany adventures (with ludicrous power-ups at the end of them) await the Order now? Animal husbandry? Collecting playing cards? Fighting some weird cosmic force that's significantly more powerful than Xykon but spends all of its time waiting around for some adventurers to challenge it? Speculate!

(Disclaimer: just to be clear, this post is tongue-in-cheek)

goodpeople25
2014-02-09, 02:21 PM
they are going to use the airship to go to some under ground place where half the cast we'll seem to die and then the'll blow up the airship then pray for a new space faring one to take them to the moon and tell durkon and v to stay behind ...
for some reason:smallsmile:

henrykazuka
2014-02-09, 02:47 PM
Maybe they'll meet Baron Pineapple's son! It's going to be EPIC.

137beth
2014-02-09, 03:12 PM
They'll discover the secret identities of Spiky (Laurin), Haley (half-deva daughter of Girard), and Durkon (Trigak)!

Lombard
2014-02-09, 03:56 PM
Attacked by skypirates?

Cloud city?

Lightning storm sends them somewhere random?

Lots of good stuff could happen :D

RadagastTheBrow
2014-02-09, 05:03 PM
Roy and the party will go to a secluded island near the four corners of the world. There, he will lead them back... and forth... and back... and forth... grinding on enemy encounters until they finally grow some decent saves.

Rodin
2014-02-09, 09:10 PM
They've done the first sidequest already - Haley's loyalty mission. Now that she's not worried about her father, she will be more focused on the goal and if picked to lead the secondary fire team at the Kraagor's Gate infiltration she will no longer cause Belkar to take a Fireball to the face and die.

dtilque
2014-02-09, 11:22 PM
Obviously, they're going to boldly go where no man (also woman, elf, dwarf, hobbit, cat, raven, or allosaur polymorphed into a lizard) has gone before.

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-09, 11:38 PM
They've done the first sidequest already - Haley's loyalty mission. Now that she's not worried about her father, she will be more focused on the goal and if picked to lead the secondary fire team at the Kraagor's Gate infiltration she will no longer cause Belkar to take a Fireball to the face and die.

you win /thread

Lord Raziere
2014-02-10, 02:20 AM
suddenly a six rift opens up mid-flight to Xykon. They fall in.

DeliaP
2014-02-11, 09:45 AM
they are going to use the airship to go to some under ground place where half the cast we'll seem to die and then the'll blow up the airship then pray for a new space faring one to take them to the moon and tell durkon and v to stay behind ...
for some reason:smallsmile:

In an airship... heading for the North Pole... finding a route to an underground civilisation within a Hollow Earth.... ? With dinosaurs, maybe?

Nah, that kind of plot could never get published. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/Pellucidar)

Lord Torath
2014-02-11, 07:37 PM
In an airship... heading for the North Pole... finding a route to an underground civilisation within a Hollow Earth.... ? With dinosaurs, maybe?

Nah, that kind of plot could never get published. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/Pellucidar)That's right. And certainly no one would base a setting on it (http://www.waynesbooks.com/HollowWorld.html)!

NZNinja
2014-02-11, 07:56 PM
As I recall (although now I can't find the source), the ritual to control the Snarl was stated as taking a long time (weeks?) to prepare and cast, even after Xykon and Redcloak blast their way through Kraagor's Labyrinth.

So there's plenty of time for the Order to cruise on up in their airship, letting the bad guys fight their way to their goal, only to snatch away their victory in the dying moments. Actually, that sounds suspiciously like one of Tarquin's plans... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0821.html)

Sir_Dr_D
2014-02-14, 01:42 PM
They'll discover the secret identities of Spiky (Laurin), Haley (half-deva daughter of Girard), and Durkon (Trigak)!

I have heard of the rather probably theory of Durkon = Trigak :p. And Haley being the half-deva daugther of Girad, does sound like another "rational" theory. But spikey = Laurin is new too me. Can someone describe the evidence in that one.

And there will be a definite side quest coming up where the order needs to find Thog some icecream.
____
And for an actual serious answer to this thread, I do think the order will be side tracked in elven lands for a while.

orrion
2014-02-14, 02:26 PM
As I recall (although now I can't find the source), the ritual to control the Snarl was stated as taking a long time (weeks?) to prepare and cast, even after Xykon and Redcloak blast their way through Kraagor's Labyrinth.

So there's plenty of time for the Order to cruise on up in their airship, letting the bad guys fight their way to their goal, only to snatch away their victory in the dying moments. Actually, that sounds suspiciously like one of Tarquin's plans... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0821.html)

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html) is where Xykon mentions that it takes weeks for the rituals.

Gift Jeraff
2014-02-15, 02:37 PM
Now we know it's the perfect time for side-quests, since the apocalypse may be starting and chunks of the world might be destroyed/inaccessible.

happyman
2014-02-15, 08:07 PM
Now we know it's the perfect time for side-quests, since the apocalypse may be starting and chunks of the world might be destroyed/inaccessible.

It's absolutely true, isn't it? I'm still remembering FF7 after meteor was invoked. Golden saucer time!

BroomGuys
2014-02-16, 05:17 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and feel personally vindicated now, because this is obviously what's gonna happen. Still hoping to see a side quest involving animal husbandry!

The Guardian
2014-02-18, 09:57 AM
Well if you want to go with another Airship quest to the North Pole in fiction tie-in, perhaps they need to side-quest to recruit some polar bears who wear armor? :)