PDA

View Full Version : Let's Build: Wonder Woman

Kazyan
2014-02-09, 02:30 PM
I'm ditching a one-dimensional Barbarian character in a game I'm uninvested in, in order to play something more interesting. Starting from mechanics didn't give me any particular ideas, but I read a Cracked article today and now I want to play a Wonder Woman expy.

Any ideas for a build that mimics the superhero? To do it right, the build will require unarmed attacks, minimal armor (perhaps Bracers of Armor), probably Deflect Arrows, use of a magical lasso, high Strength, and being passably human. The immediate thought is Str-focused pure Monk, but Wonder Woman was competent, so I'd like something a bit better. Starting level is 5; please don't reply with a level 20 build that doesn't work at low levels. Group is largely low-op or mild-op with the exception of a cheese wizard.

BornValyrian
2014-02-09, 02:44 PM
Not sure about the build, but I would definitely suggests Gloryborn armor from DMG II if you do want armor.

"The overall look might awe viewers or even strike terror
into the wearer’s enemies, but the items frequently look
incomplete. For example, a suit of gloryborn leather armor
might be little more than a set of elaborate leather straps
constructed to show off the wearer’s bulging muscles by
leaving portions of his torso entirely exposed"

Yet it still works.

Zaq
2014-02-09, 03:27 PM
Seems like Swordsage is the place to start.

Lassos are, I think, in BoED. I don't recall offhand if there's anything tricksy you can do with them, or if they're just another exotic weapon with kind of dumb rules.

Incarnate might actually be a decent idea. If you're willing to refluff a harpoon (Frostburn) as a lasso, the Mauling Gauntlets (you'll have to take Shape Soulmeld to poach them from the Soulborn, but that's better than actually being a Soulborn) can make a harpoon basically impossible to escape, and if you bind them to your hands, then your unarmed strikes will actually hurt. The Wind Cloak functions as Deflect Arrows once you bind it to your shoulders, which admittedly won't happen around level 5 (more like level 9). There's plenty of places an Incarnate can get high AC without much actual armor, particularly a Good Incarnate (which I assume an old-school superheroine would be? I've never actually learned much about Wonder Woman). So yeah. Worth looking into, I think.

Kazyan
2014-02-09, 03:45 PM
Seems like Swordsage is the place to start.

Natch.

Incarnate might actually be a decent idea. If you're willing to refluff a harpoon (Frostburn) as a lasso, the Mauling Gauntlets (you'll have to take Shape Soulmeld to poach them from the Soulborn, but that's better than actually being a Soulborn) can make a harpoon basically impossible to escape, and if you bind them to your hands, then your unarmed strikes will actually hurt. The Wind Cloak functions as Deflect Arrows once you bind it to your shoulders, which admittedly won't happen around level 5 (more like level 9). There's plenty of places an Incarnate can get high AC without much actual armor, particularly a Good Incarnate (which I assume an old-school superheroine would be? I've never actually learned much about Wonder Woman). So yeah. Worth looking into, I think.

Actually seems like a reasonable idea; Mauling Gauntlets approximately fit the appearance of her bracers. Could a bit awkward since I'm playing a Good Incarnate in a second game with the game players...I also pictured Wonder Woman as Lawful Good.

Hmm. If Mauling Gauntlets and Wind Cloak are all it takes...there's a part of me saying that I can do this with Superior Unarmed Strike on a Soulborn. (It's the same part that just wants to watch the world burn.)

SPoilaaja
2014-02-09, 03:53 PM
Lesser Aasimar could be a really good starting point for a race

Unarmed swordsage variant could duplicate many of the superheroic abilities. like Cloak of Deception could be refluffed as you moving so fast that you seemed invisible and on the same logic shadow jaunt can duplicate "flying" (getting to roofs for example) and getting through enemies without attacks of opportunity.

Another option would be an unarmed tashalatora psychic warrior.

Vanitas
2014-02-09, 04:16 PM
Wonder Woman actually uses weapons and armor when she is serious (see Kingdom Come, for example), so I guess it depends what you want out of her.

Ravens_cry
2014-02-09, 04:16 PM
Some kind of flying chariot with permanent invisibility would be a nice touch. A lasso with a zone of truth enchantment also makes sense.