PDA

View Full Version : Effective characters breaking the curve.

maniacalmojo
2014-02-09, 02:31 PM
So in a lot of games you have characters falling into ruts. The wizard is always some old guy casting similar spells, the fighter is always a big strong brute bashing things with his sword, the rogue is normally a small sneaky ish one shot wonder who takes care of traps ect.

What effective characters have you made that beat off the stereotypes of normal classess?

In previous games i have made a rogue that had a lot of ranks in use magic device and sleight of hand that had a plthora of wands who pretended he was a mage.

Omegas
2014-02-09, 02:57 PM
If you or your party is falling into ruts then it is by choice. I have been playing D&D since its inception and I can honestly say I have never built the same character twice.

I Key is to remember that you dont have to be the best of the best. You just have to be better then the BBEG (big bad evil guy). Encourage your party to experiment with off elite builds.

As for personal favs
Made a halfing paladin that decimated everyone from the waist down.
a sarcastic dwarven bard with and insane amount of health.
a half orc sorcerer/druid that kept everyone guessing.
a gnomish monk whos enemies knew exactly how many hairs were not the top of his foot before they passed out.

Never get stuck in ruts. Stereo types are boring make your games epic tails.

maniacalmojo
2014-02-09, 03:06 PM
Oh this was not about me or my party just thoughts on what clever unique charecters that you have made that are not fitting your class at all.

Sir Chuckles
2014-02-09, 03:56 PM
Oh this was not about me or my party just thoughts on what clever unique charecters that you have made that are not fitting your class at all.

Just remember that your class is not you, and you are not your class. You are you.

Such as my Neanderthal Barbarian/Wizard/Rage Mage. Nobody expects the big brute to suddenly launch beams of lightning out of his hand.

I once did a Gnome Samurai, and it was extremely effective. Yes, an effective Samurai. My group has never been known for strong builds.

Say no to stereotypes.

OldTrees1
2014-02-09, 04:03 PM
Personality is one way to easily break stereotypes.

Paladin of Mercy/Redemption (breaking a stereotype that should not exist)
Good Undead Necromancer Minion-mancer

Firechanter
2014-02-09, 05:51 PM
Oh, I love building and playing characters "against the grain", and 3e/3.5 is an excellent system for that.

One of my favourite characters ever was a "Stealthy Cleric" with a Ranger theme. . Without Invisibility, just skills.

In a similar vein, a "Divine Ninja" based on Swordsage/Cleric/RKV.

Not played, but drafted: Warblade Archer.

And so on. ^^

nedz
2014-02-09, 07:41 PM
If I'm playing an arcane caster then I will give them a theme. Arcane casters are already very powerful, limiting them in this way is a self-nerf but one you can live with. There are over 2,000 arcane spells in 3.5, you never need to be casting the same old spells.