PDA

View Full Version : [PF only] Reduce arcane spell failure in armor

Kraken
2014-02-09, 03:45 PM
Suppose I want to be an aasimar eldritch knight, with paladin2/wiz1 being my entry. Or even fighter1/wiz1. This is legal due to an assimar's daylight SLA counting as casting a 3rd level arcane spell (similarly, SKR stated that rogues with minor magic qualify for arcane strike). Now, let's say I want to be gloriously suboptimal and wear a mithril breastplate around. Without setting feats and swift actions on fire (IE, no arcane armor training), what other options are there for reducing ASF? Hell knight enforcer is the only one I've found so far, which of course isn't particularly useful to me. Bonus points if you can effectively reduce the ASF of full plate to 0.

Drachasor
2014-02-09, 03:54 PM
Unfortunately, Enforcer is the only option to reduce ASF without spending swift actions (beyond Mithril). Well, Celestial Armor is Chainmail with an ASF of 15%, but I don't think many DMs would let you combine that with Mithril.

AlchemicalMyst
2014-02-09, 04:10 PM
Suppose I want to be an aasimar eldritch knight, with paladin2/wiz1 being my entry. Or even fighter1/wiz1. This is legal due to an assimar's daylight SLA counting as casting a 3rd level arcane spell (similarly, SKR stated that rogues with minor magic qualify for arcane strike). Now, let's say I want to be gloriously suboptimal and wear a mithril breastplate around. Without setting feats and swift actions on fire (IE, no arcane armor training), what other options are there for reducing ASF? Hell knight enforcer is the only one I've found so far, which of course isn't particularly useful to me. Bonus points if you can effectively reduce the ASF of full plate to 0.
Mithril with the Twilight property from 3.5 for a net -20% ASF chance is all I can think of. Ask your GM if you can ignore the swift action requirement for the use of Arcane Armor Training. My group does and no major issues have come up.

Other than those options...Still Spell. As far as I know, that's about it for options. Personally I'd just rely on Mage Armor and Shield instead of bothering with actual Armor if that worried about ASF chance.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-02-09, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Combat has Asian armor. One of them is Haramaki*, a dirt cheap silk belt that gives +1 armor bonus with ZERO spell failure % (nor acp) and no max dex ceiling, that you can then load up w/ +10 worth of enhancements/specials. Combine it with your mithral buckler and laugh at the people who say "mages don't wear armor!"

*There's another in the same table just like Haramaki, but slightly more expensive. I have no idea why it exists.

Drachasor
2014-02-09, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Combat has Asian armor. One of them is Haramaki*, a dirt cheap silk belt that gives +1 armor bonus with ZERO spell failure % (nor acp), that you can then load up w/ +10 worth of enhancements/specials. Combine it with your mithral buckler and laugh at the people who say "mages don't wear armor!"

*There's another in the same table just like Haramaki, but slightly more expensive. I have no idea why it exists.

The Ceremonial Silk Armor is for looking classy. Given the prices are under 50gp (or so, IIRC) it isn't a big deal.

There's also a armored kilt or some such that provides a +1 armor bonus and no ACF if memory serves. Seems like you can add it to existing armor and it increases the classification by one step. I think that means you can have Haramaki + Armored Kilt as medium armor with a +2 armor bonus and no ACF or armor check penalty. So yeah, I did forget about this for small armor bonuses.

grarrrg
2014-02-09, 08:22 PM
*checks* (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16427024#post16427024)

Yeah, you've pretty much covered all the options so far (excluding 3rd party/3.5 anyway).

Style points.