PDA

View Full Version : Researching for a Handbook Help

Suteinu
2014-02-09, 03:51 PM
I'm working on a Swashbuckler Handbook.

No, really. As SleepyShadow pointed out in his Sensational Samurai Handbook, they did it for Truenamer. Come on, now ...

I've seen a few such guides for Swashbuckler, but I want to try my hand at it because, well, they all seem to advocate the ol' 3-level dip or a complete rebuild of teh class. Now, my math skills are pretty poor when compared to my fellow geeks, nerds, and other honored intellectuals, but I know there's a way to really have fun with this class. In my research, I've come up with what I think are some really worthy ideas. What I want from you `Grounders is this:

Help me think-up some good Swashbuckler builds that FOCUS rather than dip the core class that, deep down, you know you all want to love. Prestige classing is OK, but try to make tha Swashbuckler the main idea. I'll handle the Swashbuckler 20 myself.

Thanks!

SPoilaaja
2014-02-09, 03:57 PM
Rogue 3 or 4/Swashbuckler. Pick up daring outlaw feat and lose only 1 bab up until lvl 20.

or swashbuckler 19/swordsage 1. Take the swordsage level at 9, and martial stance (Assassin's stance) with daring outlaw feat

Yorrin
2014-02-09, 04:27 PM
I'll point out general synergy with Factotum. Factotum 3/Swashbuckler 17 or Factotum 8/Swashbuckler 12 are both solid builds. Do it with Able Learner, of course, and pick up fun stuff like Iajutsu.

To further Explain (since not all readers may be familiar), both are basically non-casters that need a high Int score. At level 3 the Factotum gains the ability to add Int to all of his physical skill checks, and at 8 he gains the ability to break the action economy open. So Factotum 3/Swash 17 gives you a Swashbuckler who trades Wounding Critical, 1 BAB, and a point each of his Grace and Dodge features to be significantly better at all physical skills (Jump, Tumble, Climb, etc), as well as Trapfinding, the ability to spend points on AC/saving thows/attack rolls, and a first level spell 1/day (grease?). This synergizes great with Swashbuckler's 13th level take 10 on Jump/Tumble. Combine with the feat from ToB to get Leaping Dragon Stance and you're quite the acrobat.

If you decide instead to take Factotum all the way to eight you get the ability to get one or more standard actions for free every encounter. I advise taking Font of Inspiration four times to get +10 to your Inspiration points to use on this ability, allowing you to gain a total of five extra standard actions each combat. A Swashbuckler who's getting that Int bonus on all his attack rolls can find a lot of uses for five extra standard actions. In exchange he is giving up his skill mastery and weakening critical, as well as one more BAB and one more dodge point. ToB feats for this build should instead go to Assassin's stance, since five extra attacks hit a good deal harder with Craven on each of them.

In either case being a human or changeling will allow you to take Able Learner to get all skills as class skills for your Swashbuckler. This lets you do anything from Knowledge Devotion fun all the way up to Iajutsu shenanigans with a Gnomish Quickrazor. Very flexible early dip.