PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer learning spells from other lists

Arael666
2014-02-09, 03:55 PM
I remember reading somewhere (probably here) that theoretically sorcerers could pick spells from other lists, mainly because these two lines from the PHB:

A sorcerer casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list.

These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study.

Did Wizards ever addressed this? If not, is there a consensus in the playground?

If there is no consensus, what is your opinion on the matter?

Drachasor
2014-02-09, 04:04 PM
The DM can allow it however he wishes. That's basically all it indicates. I'd allow it if a Sorcerer was following a theme with his/her spells and there was a spell on another list that fit (probably, depends on the theme, but most of the time going with a theme weakens a Sorcerer, so buffing with spells from other lists is probably ok).

SPoilaaja
2014-02-09, 04:05 PM
There are a few sorcerer only spells, like Wings of Flurry and Wings of cover, that a wizard has no access to.

TypoNinja
2014-02-09, 04:30 PM
Also there are rules for designing and inventing your own spells, so a scholarly minded sorcerer could invent a new spell which hes allowed to know, and isn't on the sorcerer/wizard list.

Bakeru
2014-02-09, 04:47 PM
There are a few sorcerer only spells, like Wings of Flurry and Wings of cover, that a wizard has no access to.Those were added later, long after the PHB came out.

This is really just a reminder that rule 0 is in effect: A sorcerer gets spells on the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list, and whatever else the DM considers suitable.

Arael666
2014-02-09, 05:40 PM
So by the answers I can conclude that Wizards never said anything about it and there is no consensus. Just use you common sense, right?

Drachasor
2014-02-09, 05:42 PM
So by the answers I can conclude that Wizards never said anything about it and there is no consensus. Just use you common sense, right?

Well, it's up to the DM and they should be careful about what they allow. If a player isn't very good at picking good spells, then letting them choose anything probably wouldn't hurt. If a player is good at min-maxing then you probably shouldn't let them pick anything or at least be very, very careful about it.

But yeah, nothing official and AFAIK that line was never discussed in any published or online material.

Rebel7284
2014-02-09, 06:34 PM
In gestalt, a Sorcerer 14 // X5 (that grants turn undead)/Eldrich Master 8/Silver Pyromancer 1 has access to an additional 3 spell lists. Can do it without gestalt, but you end up failing pretty spectacularly (unless you do bard->Eldrich Master->Sublime Chord)