PDA

View Full Version : Aldhaven: The Problems with Protection

Rizban
2014-02-09, 06:26 PM
Aldhaven: The Street

One of the main thoroughfares of Aldhaven is Mastiff's Road. This is not that road. Here on the back side of North Market is a small road known as West Rowser Arcade. There is, strangely enough, no East Rowser Arcade making the "west" part of the name somewhat superfluous. The residents here never give that much thought, having much more important things on their minds.

To the west is Midtown, which sits right in the flow of life through the city. To the south is South Market, where trade caravans and merchants peddle their goods and great sums of money are exchanged. To the north is Guildsmen District, where the industry and real, hard work of the city happens. But West Rowser Arcade lies deep in the heart of North Market, a glorified residential district. Yes, there are shops here, but they are small, out of the way, and mostly forgotten, catering only to the locals who live, work, and play within a couple of blocks, unknown to the wider world. It is a slower life than that of the rest of the city, but it is largely a peaceful one. Peaceful that is, until recently.

King Alben Rosen, the fair and just ruler of Aldhaven, lies sick and dying, the heir to the throne uncertain. But this is far removed from the daily concerns of West Rowser Arcade. Here on the street, there is unrest. Not among the locals but entirely due to the newcomers. Two groups have recently moved into the area known as The Jacks, once a powerful crime organization that held much of the city in its grip before "heroes" killed its leadership and destroyed the uneasy peace its power had enforced on the smaller criminal elements now little more than thugs bent on reclaiming their former power and glory, and The Korps, a brutal, secretive gang that worked hidden under the nose of the Jacks, stepping into the light only with the recent power vacuum to make a bid for power.

Unfortunately, both have set their sights on West Rowser Arcade. Why? Who knows. All the locals know is trouble is here.

Welcome to Aldhaven, don't mind the knife in your back.

Torgarn
2014-02-10, 03:03 AM
Desmond awakes in his room in the Traveler's Arms Inn. He gets out of bed and grabs his clothing off of the chair he left them on the previous night. He dresses in his smithing clothing, sans apron, and grabs his toolbelt. He buckles it on and slips his warhammer into it's notch on his belt after picking it off of the place where he left it leaning on the wall. He leave's his armor and shield where they are for now. He heads down to the common room of the inn. He enters the common room and takes a seat at an empty table. He gets the attention of this mornings server What are you serving this morning for breakfast, if I may ask? he asks with a smile.

1whoscribbled
2014-02-10, 07:20 PM
Aralidon

Grumbling to himself as he went down stairs of the Traveler's Arms he adjusted a strap on his shoulder as he headed out for breakfast. Crok flew down the steps after him and landed on a chair near the entryway. Aralidon was dressed in what he like to refer to himself as his street garb. Though in the robes of a scribe he had quite a few additions to his wardrobe. A small bandolier was strapped his waist with all manner of pouches and small cases adorning it. Barely visible on the hem of his sleeves where the embroidery of bronze antlers on the brown wool of his robe. He seems to carry no weapon and just perfectly at ease to go about in the dangerous streets.

"Ethne" he sighed "I'm going out for the morning after breakfast, I will get those documents finished for the baker down this evening. So when he asks where I am just say you don't know. In any case what is there for a meal? "

Turning about he noticed Desmond at a far table "Mornin, any luck yet with the guilds?"

Aldurin
2014-02-10, 09:20 PM
From outside the Inn the residents can already hear a familiar voice yakking away outside. A plain-looking commoner whose only abnormalities are a couple of soulmelds stands on a crate haphazardly left behind in the middle of the street the night before. West Rowser Arcade only gets the best of the town criers, so of course Herb Twit is already outside doing his morning warmup speeches on the nearest thing Naeberius demanded he start talking on top of. If any of the gods have mercy on this neighborhood then Herb will get his crier script soon. "Welcome to the North Market folks! A quick reminder that no matter how bad you think your situation is here, we're not those unlucky sods in the slums! Or the docks! Or in the river next to the docks, if those rumors still go around! Today I expect the usual to happen, where we go about our lives doing our jobs as we awkwardly ignore conflicting intimidation from rival gangs! But until we get the news today's weather is . . ." Sure, his reputation is varied, to be generous, but not having a crier in this section of town is probably worse. Maybe.

DrK
2014-02-10, 10:18 PM
Thanok pounded the metal bar on the forge with his hammer. The repetitive thudding of metal upon metal and the crackling of the coal a comforting noise. Around him the small back room had buckets of water and oil for proving the metal, a sack of coal and shelves of tools for the trade. Tools for his other trade also lined the desk in the centre of room where bubbling glass bowls and distillation apparatus sat. Taking a break he left the workshop and went into the front room of his shop.

The shop was small and unremarkable. A few sets of armour Hung upon the wall amidst a bucket full of swords and more weapons on the cramped walls. By the window a packed table filled.with bottles and gels advertised his wares. In this part of town trade was slow and he could have only 2-3 customers per week but that was how he liked it, and looking at the intricate tatoos covering his chest and arms, all he deserved, to toil away for two long decades.

Sipping some ironthorn tea, an acquired taste he watched the inn, The travellors arms, across the narrow cobbled street. Ale, maybe a game of castle he thought before turning back to the sword slowly taking shape on the forge.

Ellisande
2014-02-10, 10:56 PM
Ethne

Ethne looks back into the nearly empty common room as the guests begin to come down the central staircase. Putting a--mostly genuine--smile on her face, she banishes whatever idle thoughts were in her head, she replies to the inquiries. "Barley soup's hot in the pot. Simple fare, but filling." She glides toward the kitchen as she finishes the answer. "If you're in no hurry, mum'll put a couple eggs on for you." Casually spooning the soup, she delivers a bowl to each of the large men. "Might be that we have some apples in the back, if you'd like some."

"You think the baker will come looking here? Well, if you're not here, I suppose I really won't know where you are." She winked one emerald eye jovially, not sure if she was hoping for details or not; Father always said that trouble came looking for those who looked for it.

1whoscribbled
2014-02-10, 11:14 PM
Aralidon

Grinning with delight Aralidon sat down and quickly went to eating his soup. "As delishes as always" he said as he begun slurping away at it "and its not like I haven't already finished the papers but I ran out of sealing wax. Without that I can't very well make it any form of official document. "

Or so that at least passes for one. he thought doggedly.

Looking over at Crok, he noticed how the bird eyed his bowl "And I'll take any apples you got marm, but if you also would have some day old ... or older bread that would be perfect." Crok with his feathers beginning to rise started to hop over "Also if you got any small sweets for my friend here?" he said hurriedly, pulling his bowl back to his chest in a vain attempt to protect it from the large crow.

Torgarn
2014-02-11, 10:46 AM
The soup will suffice, thank you. Desmond says, bowing his head in respect. I shall need to be heading out to find more work today as sson as possible, so much as I would desire something as lovely as your ma's eggs, I haven't the time. He finishes as quickly as one can while still remaining respectful. As he finishes up he heads to the door muttering to himself under his breath, Those damn thieves better not be leaning to hard on Galen or he won't have any work for me.

jaydubs
2014-02-12, 12:49 AM
Wiston Jian

He woke up that morning, reluctantly, to the crowing of his personal rooster - a would-be crier by the name of Herb. "Hrrrrmmmm...." He let out an annoyed moan. "Okay, okay, time to get up..."

Wiston went through his morning routine. Throwing the chamberpot contents out the window, a swish and spit from his waterskin, and a quick comb of his beard. Next, a sniff under the armpits. Ah... still fresh from the nightly casting of prestidigitation before bed. Then he put on his dapper suit, basic equipment, and of course his very fine hat - all in preparation for an hour of spell memorization.

So it was some time later that morning that he walked into the Traveler's Arm Inn, taking a seat at the common room and waiting for service. While he had his own room elsewhere on the street, he found the Traveler's Arm to have reliably hot and serviceable tea - a blessing on weary mornings.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy175/jaydubs67/investigatorportrait_zps52571d3d.jpg?t=1390088626

DrK
2014-02-12, 03:58 PM
Tossing the sword into the water with a hiss Thanok straightens up his back rubbing a knot beneath his rough and tattooed skin. Hefting the hammer and resting it casually on his shoulder he steps outside into the weak morning light watching to see if there is any passing trade.

Finally he steps across the road pushing open the door of the Travellor's arms and nodding at the various characters within. Leaning the hammer against the bar he calls for an ale and some bread. A silver piece shuffled across the bar to pay for it.

Rizban
2014-02-13, 01:22 AM
As you're going about your morning's business, you hear shouts from the street. You play little heed to them until they grow a little louder, alerting you to the danger.

"Fire! Fire!"

Should you rush outside, you see a merchant's shop down the road with large flames dancing in the windows, billows of smoke rising into the air. People are already beginning to run for buckets of water to douse the flames.

Torgarn
2014-02-13, 03:54 AM
Desmond is heading down the street towards the smithy where he hoped to find work for the day when he hears the cries of fire. He runs to the shop front. Is anyone left inside? he asks the nearest person, simultaneously looking the building over to see if there are any easy points of entry.

Rizban
2014-02-13, 04:12 AM
The man throws water through the open window, causing the flames to flicker slightly before erupting back into a full blaze.

"I-I don't know... No time to talk."

He takes off down the road with his empty bucket, probably heading towards a small fountain a few blocks away.

You think you hear a faint cry for help from inside, but you can't be sure. There doesn't appear to be anyone on the ground floor, at least not that you can see from the street. There are, unfortunately, two smoke filled floors above the shop...

Torgarn
2014-02-13, 06:21 AM
Damnation Desmond growls. He proceeds to pull off his shirt, dampening it by pouring the water from his waterskin on it. He wraps the shirt round his face to help him breathe in the smoky building. He grabs the next person to comes water bucket and drenches himself. Once he has done so, he opens the main shop door taking a moment to see what he can see about the first floor, readying himself to head in after whomever may still be inside. He also checks for a moment to see if any of the higher floors have windows as well.

Aldurin
2014-02-13, 06:55 AM
"-and don't forget you can always get your steel wool enchanted for proper cleaning your livesto-" Herb stops mid-sentence as screams of fire come from nearby. When he see the building he shouts to the people passing by. "Fellow community members, one of our local business is burning! We must look out for each other in the West Rowser Arcade, so that we can make this place better! We need every man and woman capable of helping with rescuing or fire-fighting to help with this moment of strife, so even I will step down from my podium to see what I can do to help! Come with me to prove that the North Market has the best community in Aldhaven!" Satisfied with his speech, Herb hops down from his box and runs over to the building. "Is everyone out?" He asks to the people who are already dealing with the fire.

Moving essentia into Silvertongue Mask (+4 diplomacy and bluff) and making a diplomacy check to rally as many of the pedestrians as possible to help with the fire, taking 10 on the check due to Naeberius for result of 21.

Ellisande
2014-02-13, 11:31 AM
Ethne

The commotion outside draws Ethne's attention. Peeking out one of the small windows, she sees the hint of flames. "Father, that's the old Harmon shop!" she calls across the bustle of the common room, unsure of whether her voice is caught in the din.

Regardless, she races outside on Desmond's heels. Lacking her companion's equipment, she has little to protect her from the fires inside, but still she gathers up her skirts to prepare. As he pauses, she steels herself with an oath, a quiet incantation. "Traveller protect us."

Ethne casts Resistance on herself. If she has time as he pauses, she'll cast it on Desmond as well.

1whoscribbled
2014-02-13, 01:04 PM
Aralidon

Seeing as he was now alone in the inn Aralidon quickly finished his soup and left from the back door. Calling Crok to him he rushed down the back alley till he stood at the back of the flame engulfed shop. As the flew closer her pulled out his whistle and blew three times while pointing at the top window that had only smoke pouring from it.

What Im doing is having crok use his seek trick to look for any living or "animated" beings. The Dc is 10 since he knows the trick. Though I think since he is going into a firey building the DC should be higher(add what you think is apporate).

[roll0]

jaydubs
2014-02-13, 07:15 PM
Wiston

Wiston runs out to see the commotion, and notices that the others believe someone to be on the upper floor. He grabs a nearby bucket, and drenches himself as he has seen the blacksmith attempt before him, putting special emphasis on his cloak and handkerchief. He wraps the cloak around himself, ties the handkerchief over his nose and mouth, and takes a deep breath.

With a running start, he leaps into the air before suddenly disappearing at the height of his jump... and reappearing just inside a second story window. Still holding his breath against the smoky air, he begins to look for survivors.

Wiston uses abrupt jaunt to teleport inside the open window with the least smoke coming out of it, and begins to hold his breath once inside. Then he takes a look around to try to see if he can see or hear any survivors on the upper floor.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Rizban
2014-02-14, 10:06 AM
Damnation Desmond growls. He proceeds to pull off his shirt, dampening it by pouring the water from his waterskin on it. He wraps the shirt round his face to help him breathe in the smoky building. He grabs the next person to comes water bucket and drenches himself. Once he has done so, he opens the main shop door taking a moment to see what he can see about the first floor, readying himself to head in after whomever may still be inside. He also checks for a moment to see if any of the higher floors have windows as well.He indeed sees smoke pouring from the windows of the higher floors. Unfortunately, he also notices something worse. Tendrils of smoke are beginning to waft from the upper windows of the adjacent buildings. If the fire isn't contained soon, the whole block could go up in flame!

"-and don't forget you can always get your steel wool enchanted for proper cleaning your livesto-" Herb stops mid-sentence as screams of fire come from nearby. When he see the building he shouts to the people passing by. "Fellow community members, one of our local business is burning! We must look out for each other in the West Rowser Arcade, so that we can make this place better! We need every man and woman capable of helping with rescuing or fire-fighting to help with this moment of strife, so even I will step down from my podium to see what I can do to help! Come with me to prove that the North Market has the best community in Aldhaven!" Satisfied with his speech, Herb hops down from his box and runs over to the building. "Is everyone out?" He asks to the people who are already dealing with the fire.

Moving essentia into Silvertongue Mask (+4 diplomacy and bluff) and making a diplomacy check to rally as many of the pedestrians as possible to help with the fire, taking 10 on the check due to Naeberius for result of 21.By the time he finishes his speech, the majority of the people have already rushed outside to help or flee, with the rest on their way. In fact, Herb is the last one to make it outside.

Upon arriving at the scene, he is told that none of the Harmon family has been seen, so they don't know if everyone is out or not. He also learns that the shop owner, his wife, and their three children live in the rooms above the shop, but that the shop had not been opened for the day before the blaze began. He isn't able to learn anything more before those trying to fight the blaze get angry with him for getting in their way.

Ethne

The commotion outside draws Ethne's attention. Peeking out one of the small windows, she sees the hint of flames. "Father, that's the old Harmon shop!" she calls across the bustle of the common room, unsure of whether her voice is caught in the din.

Regardless, she races outside on Desmond's heels. Lacking her companion's equipment, she has little to protect her from the fires inside, but still she gathers up her skirts to prepare. As he pauses, she steels herself with an oath, a quiet incantation. "Traveller protect us."

Ethne casts Resistance on herself. If she has time as he pauses, she'll cast it on Desmond as well.Her spells are successfully cast on the run.

Aralidon

Seeing as he was now alone in the inn Aralidon quickly finished his soup and left from the back door. Calling Crok to him he rushed down the back alley till he stood at the back of the flame engulfed shop. As the flew closer her pulled out his whistle and blew three times while pointing at the top window that had only smoke pouring from it.

What Im doing is having crok use his seek trick to look for any living or "animated" beings. The Dc is 10 since he knows the trick. Though I think since he is going into a firey building the DC should be higher(add what you think is apporate).

[roll0]The bird flies up to the windowsill and ducks his head in beneath the billowing smoke. He squawks loudly twice from the window before returning to you. It seems he is unwilling or unable to enter the building from there.

Wiston

Wiston runs out to see the commotion, and notices that the others believe someone to be on the upper floor. He grabs a nearby bucket, and drenches himself as he has seen the blacksmith attempt before him, putting special emphasis on his cloak and handkerchief. He wraps the cloak around himself, ties the handkerchief over his nose and mouth, and takes a deep breath.

With a running start, he leaps into the air before suddenly disappearing at the height of his jump... and reappearing just inside a second story window. Still holding his breath against the smoky air, he begins to look for survivors.

Wiston uses abrupt jaunt to teleport inside the open window with the least smoke coming out of it, and begins to hold his breath once inside. Then he takes a look around to try to see if he can see or hear any survivors on the upper floor.

Listen: [roll1]As he jaunts inside, he hears shouts of "Fool! Get out of there!" from the street.

Inside, the room is filled with smoke. His eyes begin to badly water, further obscuring the poor visibility. One successful Spot check later, he sees a form on the far side of the room, collapsed against the door as if trying to get it open before being overcome by smoke.

Torgarn
2014-02-14, 10:22 AM
Desmond enters the first floor of the building, taking a moment to look around, checking for people in need of help, as well as the way to the second floor. He holds his breath in the thick smoke, to avoid breathing it in.

[roll0] Search
[roll1] Search

Rizban
2014-02-14, 10:27 AM
Desmond enters the first floor of the building, taking a moment to look around, checking for people in need of help, as well as the way to the second floor. He holds his breath in the thick smoke, to avoid breathing it in.

[roll0] Search
[roll1] SearchThe flames are fierce in the room, and the minimal water he poured on himself are quickly drying. He has, at most, a few seconds down here before it offers him no further protection. He finds no one on the first floor.

The flames behind him hiss and pop as another bucket of water is thrown through the window, doing little but producing more smoke. It seems that this fire has grown too large to be doused by such small means...

He spots no one in the main room, and he sees only one other door out of here, a heavy oak door behind the counter. Fortunately, it seems the door is still intact against the flame. Unfortunately, the fiercest part of the fire is between him and the door...

Torgarn
2014-02-14, 11:03 AM
Desmond looks around the room of the shop more carefully, looking for any sort of object that could potentially used to help smother or fight the fire so that he can reach the door.

Rizban
2014-02-14, 11:14 AM
Looking around, you recall that Mr. Harmon was a candlemaker and stocked many different kinds of wax and lamp oil... which would go far in explaining the ferocity of the fire... You spot nothing that would be immediately useful in smothering the flames. You also realize that if you stay here more than a few seconds more, you'll likely be overcome by the heat long before smoke inhalation becomes a problem.

Torgarn
2014-02-14, 11:42 AM
Desmond backs out of the shop again, turning to those gathered there.. I don't know if we will be able to stop this fire with the fountain so far, this shop is full of candle making materials, including oil.

Rizban
2014-02-14, 11:51 AM
"Bah! We're not just going to let it burn!"

The people seem to have formed a crude bucket line, but there just aren't enough people or buckets to get it going very well.

Torgarn
2014-02-14, 12:12 PM
That isn't what I meant, just that this current way of putting out the fire may not be effective enough. I would suggest we get some blankets or other large cloth materials, soaking them in water and smothering the fire that way.

DrK
2014-02-14, 02:32 PM
At the shouts of fire Thanok dashes down the ale and grabbing his hammer races outside afraid for the worst that it may be his shop. Seeing the flames raging down the street at the wax makers.

Racing down as fast as dwarven legs allow he joins the bucket line throwing water onto the rapidly growing inferno. is anyone inside he shuts to nearest people helping..

1whoscribbled
2014-02-14, 04:02 PM
Aralidon

Sighing in resignation Aralidon rushes the door to break it down after wrapping a spare cloth around his mouth.

Strength Check: [roll0]

jaydubs
2014-02-14, 08:41 PM
Wiston Jian

He wastes no time, and runs to place his hands on the collapsed form at the door. With a barely whispered word and trying to conserve as much of his breath as possible, Wiston activates the belt around his waist. A flow of positive energy passes into the prone figure as Wiston begins dragging the person to the open window.

Healing belt, 1 charge. Heal for [roll0] hp.

Rizban
2014-02-17, 08:32 AM
That isn't what I meant, just that this current way of putting out the fire may not be effective enough. I would suggest we get some blankets or other large cloth materials, soaking them in water and smothering the fire that way.

"Then go do something! We're busy if you can't tell!"
He throws another bucket of water through the window.

At the shouts of fire Thanok dashes down the ale and grabbing his hammer races outside afraid for the worst that it may be his shop. Seeing the flames raging down the street at the wax makers.

Racing down as fast as dwarven legs allow he joins the bucket line throwing water onto the rapidly growing inferno. is anyone inside he shuts to nearest people helping..

The man behind you in the line hands you a bucket.
"We don't know."

Aralidon

Sighing in resignation Aralidon rushes the door to break it down after wrapping a spare cloth around his mouth.

Strength Check: [roll0]

You slam into the unlocked door, flinging it open before you. You barely manage to keep your balance as you stumble after throwing your weight against an almost nonexistent barrier.

Wiston Jian

He wastes no time, and runs to place his hands on the collapsed form at the door. With a barely whispered word and trying to conserve as much of his breath as possible, Wiston activates the belt around his waist. A flow of positive energy passes into the prone figure as Wiston begins dragging the person to the open window.

Healing belt, 1 charge. Heal for [roll0] hp.

With a whimper and a frightened bark, the family dog's eyes are wide with fear. At least he's conscious again now...

jaydubs
2014-02-17, 02:45 PM
Wiston Jian

Seeing that it is the family pet, and not a person as he had hoped, Wiston wraps a sleeve around his hand and tests the door handle in front of him.

Trying to see if the handle is hot, indicating a raging fire on the other side. And whether it is locked. Not opening it yet for obvious reasons.

Rizban
2014-02-17, 04:17 PM
Wiston Jian

Seeing that it is the family pet, and not a person as he had hoped, Wiston wraps a sleeve around his hand and tests the door handle in front of him.

Trying to see if the handle is hot, indicating a raging fire on the other side. And whether it is locked. Not opening it yet for obvious reasons. The handle is vaguely warm, and smoke is seeping up from the gap beneath the door.

jaydubs
2014-02-17, 04:52 PM
Wiston Jian

He opens the door slightly, expecting a wash of smoky air, but ready to close it if flames or extreme heat begin to exit.

Assuming there aren't flames on the other side, I want to take a quick peak in the next room to see if I can see or hear any people.

I think I still have quite a bit of air left if we're going by normal breath holding rules? What's it been, like two or three rounds so far?

1whoscribbled
2014-02-17, 04:57 PM
After stumbling through the unlocked door he goes about the room keeping his head low as he looked for anyone.

Spot check: [roll0]
Listen Check: [roll1]

Rizban
2014-02-17, 11:31 PM
Wiston Jian

He opens the door slightly, expecting a wash of smoky air, but ready to close it if flames or extreme heat begin to exit.

Assuming there aren't flames on the other side, I want to take a quick peak in the next room to see if I can see or hear any people.

I think I still have quite a bit of air left if we're going by normal breath holding rules? What's it been, like two or three rounds so far? Opening the door fills your face with smoke, but there are no visible flames.

You neither see nor hear anyone in the hallway.Including this round, it's been 4 rounds for you.

After stumbling through the unlocked door he goes about the room keeping his head low as he looked for anyone.

Spot check: [roll0]
Listen Check: [roll1]This appears to be a kitchen. There is no one in this room.

Torgarn
2014-02-17, 11:45 PM
Desmond heads into the nearest non-burning building looking for heavy blankets, or other thick cloth materials.

jaydubs
2014-02-18, 02:28 AM
Wiston Jian

Wiston looks a moment to see if the dog knows the location of any of its masters. Otherwise, he takes the animal by it's collar and attempts to bring it to the open window.

Ellisande
2014-02-19, 12:05 PM
Ethne

Foiled by the heat and flame, Ethne steps back out of the burning candlemaker's. As flames lick from the windows, the futility of the bucket brigade is apparent, and her own meager strength would not add much to its effect. With the fire threatening to jump the narrow alleyways around the Harmon shop, Ethne dashes into one of the neighboring buildings, intent on rousing anyone still inside.

DrK
2014-02-19, 03:43 PM
Thanok hands his bucket over to the next person also looking at the building rapidly catching fire and its proximity to the neighbouring buildings. "Soak the next door buildings lads. this one is gone. Best we start knocking her down on her herself!"

Using his wide and heavy bulk he begins to direct the bucket crews to the adjacent buildings to prevent sparks jumping across. Looking at the building he tries to see if there are any obvious weak points...

Know (architecture) [roll0]

Rizban
2014-02-20, 06:33 PM
Desmond heads into the nearest non-burning building looking for heavy blankets, or other thick cloth materials.
The nearest building is an apartment block. The interior doors to the apartments are locked, but you're fairly sure the building has been cleared. Being directly adjacent to the fire, however, the paint is starting to peel from the heat, and you're worried that the wood will begin to catch at any minute.

Wiston Jian

Wiston looks a moment to see if the dog knows the location of any of its masters. Otherwise, he takes the animal by it's collar and attempts to bring it to the open window.The dog snaps at you in fear as your reach for its collar. You withdraw your hand just in time to avoid a nasty bite.

Unfortunately, you do not speak dog, and the animal is too terrified to do anything but back away from you into a corner of the room.

Ethne

Foiled by the heat and flame, Ethne steps back out of the burning candlemaker's. As flames lick from the windows, the futility of the bucket brigade is apparent, and her own meager strength would not add much to its effect. With the fire threatening to jump the narrow alleyways around the Harmon shop, Ethne dashes into one of the neighboring buildings, intent on rousing anyone still inside.

She quickly finds that the neighboring building has already been vacated. The residents are likely to already be involved in the bucket brigade.

When she's outside, she hears the sound of clanging bells in the distance, faint but growing closer.

Thanok hands his bucket over to the next person also looking at the building rapidly catching fire and its proximity to the neighbouring buildings. "Soak the next door buildings lads. this one is gone. Best we start knocking her down on her herself!"

Using his wide and heavy bulk he begins to direct the bucket crews to the adjacent buildings to prevent sparks jumping across. Looking at the building he tries to see if there are any obvious weak points...

Know (architecture) [roll0]
The people agree with you. This is definitely a lost cause. Thankfully, the roofs here are shingles. Were they thatch, the fire would be far, far worse by now...

You realize that this building, like most on this area, was designed to be easily collapsed in the case of fire. A large metal ring embedded near the roof is usually used by the hook and ladder fire crews.

You hear the sound of clanging bells in the distance, faint but growing closer.

jaydubs
2014-02-20, 07:03 PM
Wiston Jian

Standing out of immediate reach of the dog, Wiston begins to cast a spell, and a wave of bright light washes over the animal.

Casting color spray, will save DC 14. If that works, Wiston will drag the dog out the window with him.

If not, the dog should be taking 1d6 nonlethal damage a round now, since it probably isn't holding it's breath. I'm hoping it falls unconscious soon. :smallwink:

Torgarn
2014-02-23, 12:14 PM
Desmond runs back out of the building. Let's get these nearby buildings wetted down, they are going to catch soon if we don't do anything about it.

Rizban
2014-02-23, 10:42 PM
Wiston Jian

Standing out of immediate reach of the dog, Wiston begins to cast a spell, and a wave of bright light washes over the animal.

Casting color spray, will save DC 14. If that works, Wiston will drag the dog out the window with him.

If not, the dog should be taking 1d6 nonlethal damage a round now, since it probably isn't holding it's breath. I'm hoping it falls unconscious soon. :smallwink: The dog loses consciousness once more.

Desmond runs back out of the building. Let's get these nearby buildings wetted down, they are going to catch soon if we don't do anything about it.Desmond finds that the people outside are already doing what he is advising.

From down the street, you spot a fire crew rushing to the scene, a large brass bell clanging loudly on the front of the carriage. Two massive horses draw the bright red carriage, which appears to be designed as a tank for a few hundred gallons of water. A large hose is attached near the bottom, and what appears to be a pumping apparatus is affixed to the top of the contraption. Two firemen with heavy grappling hooks are already positioned atop mounted ladders waiting to be extended up to the roof.

jaydubs
2014-02-24, 12:38 AM
Wiston Jian

Wiston hefts the now-unconscious dog over his shoulders, and shuffles over to the window. He sits down over the edge so as to lessen the distance, and then pushes over, doing his best to absorb the impact of the fall.

On the ground and out of reach of the fire, he pulls a length of rope from his pack, and begins to form a muzzle and collar on the frightened animal in case it should panic again.

Tumble check if necessary. [roll0]

Take 10 on use rope for 13. Escape artist check is 23.

Could you tell me what kind of dog this is?

Rizban
2014-02-24, 10:44 AM
Wiston Jian

Wiston hefts the now-unconscious dog over his shoulders, and shuffles over to the window. He sits down over the edge so as to lessen the distance, and then pushes over, doing his best to absorb the impact of the fall.

On the ground and out of reach of the fire, he pulls a length of rope from his pack, and begins to form a muzzle and collar on the frightened animal in case it should panic again.

Tumble check if necessary. [roll0]

Take 10 on use rope for 13. Escape artist check is 23.

Could you tell me what kind of dog this is?
You successfully fall out of the window, taking [roll0] falling damage.
Identifying the breed would take a successful Knowledge (nature) check.

Torgarn
2014-02-24, 08:31 PM
Desmond, determining that the professional's now have this fire well in hand, puts his shirt back on, then stands back and observes the firefighter's work.

1whoscribbled
2014-02-25, 11:51 AM
Aralidon

Seeing that at least no one was in the kitchen he turned around an ran from the room. "Well I tried, never was one for their cooking any way" he muttered.

DrK
2014-02-25, 01:48 PM
Thanok spying the fire men arriving rushes over, sheathed in sweat and ash. Do you need any help lads. I'm local, you just tell me what to do.

Rizban
2014-02-25, 08:02 PM
Desmond, determining that the professional's now have this fire well in hand, puts his shirt back on, then stands back and observes the firefighter's work.

Aralidon

Seeing that at least no one was in the kitchen he turned around an ran from the room. "Well I tried, never was one for their cooking any way" he muttered.

Thanok spying the fire men arriving rushes over, sheathed in sweat and ash. Do you need any help lads. I'm local, you just tell me what to do.

The fire crew arrives and sets up. Volunteers from the crowd man the pump while one of the firefighters directs the water. The two on the ladders are raised up into the air and attach their hooks onto the large rings in the roof. Within moments, the draft horses have pulled the building down into the street, and the firemen work at extinguishing the last embers before checking the surrounding buildings for serious fire damage.

Clearing back the rubble from the street, two bodies are discovered..

Torgarn
2014-03-03, 03:07 PM
Desmond feels sick as the bodies are uncovered. Damn my weakness, I should have reached them. he thinks. Outwardly he looks around at the others then proclaims, We can at least give them a good burial, someone help me get them up and moved out of the rubble , would you.

1whoscribbled
2014-03-03, 03:11 PM
Walking around the corner Aralidon and hearing Desmond starts to climb over the rubble he says "Well lets see if we can find what started this fire befor we move the bodies."

OOC

Search check: [roll0]

Rizban
2014-03-03, 03:12 PM
Examining the bodies even briefly reveals that their hands and feet are still tied, the rope holding them is barely charred. Neither seems badly burned. You would guess they died either from breathing smoke or being crushed in the collapse. An actual examination could reveal more.close examination requires a successful Heal check.

1whoscribbled
2014-03-03, 03:16 PM
Pulling out a dagger he started to prod at the bodies "Anyone one here a healer? Desmond what do you think of this?" He says pointing at the ropes binding the victims.

OOC
Untrained heal check: [roll0]

Torgarn
2014-03-03, 03:23 PM
Their hands are bound, someone intended these people to die. This sort of reckless killing is just stupid, however did this could have burned down the whole neighborhood. Desmond shakes his head in disgust.

Rizban
2014-03-03, 04:02 PM
The man kneeling next to you examining the bodies of the man and woman shudders as he realizes something.
"I think that may have been the point... If someone doesn't pay, they aren't the only ones punished. We could all lose everything..."

A woman, digging through other parts of the rubble shouts, "Has anyone seen the children? Where are their children?! They aren't here!"

jaydubs
2014-03-04, 04:30 PM
Wiston Jian

Wiston sighs deeply as he glances over the rubble and bodies. I really don't need this trouble. He ties the unconscious dog to a nearby post, and walks slowly over to look through the rubble for clues.

Search to find anything that shows who might of done this, or for anything valuable that can be taken. Old habits die hard, after all. [roll0]

Also a casting of detect magic to find anything with an aura.

DrK
2014-03-04, 04:35 PM
Thanok races forward into the rubble, hammer swinging to clear debris as he searches for any sign of children. At the same time he sniffs around to see if there are any signs of alchemy in the fire...

Search [roll0]
Craft(Alchemy) [roll1]

Torgarn
2014-03-04, 05:40 PM
Did anyone see where the children went before the fire? Desmond starts questioning those in the crowd.

Rizban
2014-03-05, 05:01 AM
Wiston Jian

Wiston sighs deeply as he glances over the rubble and bodies. I really don't need this trouble. He ties the unconscious dog to a nearby post, and walks slowly over to look through the rubble for clues.

Search to find anything that shows who might of done this, or for anything valuable that can be taken. Old habits die hard, after all. [roll0]

Also a casting of detect magic to find anything with an aura.

You find nothing of value. Digging through the rubble turns up, not surprisingly, only charred and smoke damaged household items. Anything of value from the shop was apparently destroyed in the fire or removed prior...

Thanok races forward into the rubble, hammer swinging to clear debris as he searches for any sign of children. At the same time he sniffs around to see if there are any signs of alchemy in the fire...

Search [roll0]
Craft(Alchemy) [roll1]
You do not find the children. Any signs of what might have happened to them have been obliterated by the fire and collapse.

There are numerous signs of alchemical compounds in the fire, likely due to this shop having sold several such compounds.

Did anyone see where the children went before the fire? Desmond starts questioning those in the crowd.Harmon, an elderly local and failed retired adventurer, answers your question as he pokes through debris.
"This time of day, they should have been home. They're not here, the parents were tied up, and the building set ablaze. I don't think it'll take a divination to figure this one out... Yep, they must be visiting relatives. Fortunate, really."

Harmon kicks a piece of rubble, scratches his beard, and wanders off down the street, apparently bored.

Torgarn
2014-03-05, 05:51 AM
I suppose that is as good an explanation as any. It is the simplest solution and therefore the most likely. Unless of you turned anything up?

Aldurin
2014-03-05, 07:50 AM
Herb is still shocked by the wreckage. He's usually one to distance himself from fights and petty brawls, so disasters wrought by destructive force are inevitably going to leave their mark. He finds himself at a loss of words for the first time in his life as the fire is contained and the bodies retrieved, only snapping back to reality when they discuss the situation of the children.

"But if the parents were tied up, and this is a message from whoever did this, then what if the children were there? Wouldn't whoever set the building on fire have kidnapped them, if they aren't within the rubble and no one saw them leaving?"

Torgarn
2014-03-05, 10:01 PM
What would be the point of kidnapping them? If you kill their parents there is no ransom to be had.

jaydubs
2014-03-06, 07:52 PM
Wiston Jian

The man looks over, somewhat irritated by his naivety.

"It looks to me like the arsonists took everything of value here. And while it may be hard for some of you to believe, even a child can be worth gold if you find the right buyer. In any case, we should find out for sure.

Turning to the crowd, "Does anyone here know where to find their extended family, or anyone else they could be staying with? I don't want to go scrounging in dark and dangerous places to find out the kids were just with an uncle down the street."