PDA

View Full Version : NPC Distribution Guide?

Jergmo
2014-02-09, 07:50 PM
Throughout the various tomes of knowledge we have available, is there any sort of guideline to how many NPCs of a certain level or class may be in a given area or city? I know that city generators like those found on Myth-Weavers generate a variety of NPCs of different levels, but I didn't know if there was a general guideline rather than pure randomness.

FirebirdFlying
2014-02-09, 08:25 PM
There are guidelines in the DMG (chapter 5, the section on generating towns). For a non-system specific but probably more scientific writeup on medieval populations, there's Medieval Demographics Made Easy (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm) (with accompanying generators). These guys (http://www.welshpiper.com/populations-for-low-fantasy-settings/) elaborated on that a bit more for fantasy settings.

Jergmo
2014-02-09, 08:44 PM
Thank you for your help! I'm working on a lower-magic setting where level 20's around roaming everywhere so this should be very helpful.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-09, 09:07 PM
Look for the Building A City web enhancement in wizards.com: it has some info. There's also an Everron specific NPC demographics article too, that I unfortunately cannot recall the name of. It has a lower standard distribution of levels than the rules in the DMG.

Jergmo
2014-02-09, 11:24 PM
Look for the Building A City web enhancement in wizards.com: it has some info. There's also an Everron specific NPC demographics article too, that I unfortunately cannot recall the name of. It has a lower standard distribution of levels than the rules in the DMG.

That may also be very useful. The highest level NPCs in Eberron are roughly 13th level, with that being very rare, correct?

Fax Celestis
2014-02-10, 12:56 AM
That may also be very useful. The highest level NPCs in Eberron are roughly 13th level, with that being very rare, correct?

Technically you can get up to 18th level, but it requires basically being in Sharn and maxing a couple of rolls in a row. 13 is a more realistic de facto maximum.