PDA

View Full Version : Threatening with a sheathed weapon and quickdraw

gawwy
2014-02-09, 08:46 PM
I have an iaijutsu focus build that has among other things quick draw.

when im stood with my weapon of choice sheathed do i still threaten the area around me? equally as important can i make attacks of opportunity with this weapon?

thanks in advance :)

Nirhael
2014-02-09, 08:55 PM
I'd say no, Quick Draw only allows you to draw as a Free Action, which must be done during your turn, meaning that when it isn't your turn you're considered as unarmed and thus do not threaten.

Edit:
The Quick Draw Feat and Threatened Areas: The Quick Draw feat allows you to draw a weapon as a free action. If you're unarmed, you do not threaten an area, even if you have the Quick Draw feat, because you can take a free action only during your turn.

Source from here (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041102a) so no, you do not threaten nor get any attacks of opportunity.

Darrin
2014-02-09, 09:02 PM
when im stood with my weapon of choice sheathed do i still threaten the area around me?

No. But if you're wearing armor spikes, gauntlet, or a spiked gauntlet, or if you have Improved Unarmed Strike, then you can threaten with those weapons.

equally as important can i make attacks of opportunity with this weapon?

No. Quickdraw lets you draw a weapon as a free action, but free actions can only be done during your turn. An AoO happens outside your turn. If you haven't drawn your weapon yet, you don't threaten with it, and it's not available for AoO's.

ChaoticDitz
2014-02-09, 09:07 PM
I find "free actions only on your turn" to be a silly rule (especially since talking is a free action...) so I would houserule in favor of Quickdraw allowing this were it me. By the official rules though, it's as stated above, no, you can't do those things.

gawwy
2014-02-09, 09:08 PM
thank you both this is good to know.

adds a new layer to the AoO metagame for me.

do i keep katana drawn so i can AoO but give up iaijutsu focus next round or do i sheath it and have to rely on some other method of AoO.

Im thinking i might take up TWF and grab a Washizaki for my off hand to keep around for AoOing.

:)

Callin
2014-02-09, 09:22 PM
Just wear a Spiked Gauntlet or something like it.

Dimers
2014-02-09, 09:40 PM
Like Callin said. Maybe say you're a student of Miyamoto and you understand the use of the sheath as a weapon -- if you keep your hands on it anyway for quickdrawing purposes, maybe your DM would let you count as armed with a club.

Spiked gauntlet doesn't match standard "Oriental Adventures" fluff, but it's unquestionable mechanically.

Callin
2014-02-09, 09:42 PM
Just have the spikes be little nubs on the hand of your Dastana and call it a day. No need for long fantasy spikes lol.

Karnith
2014-02-09, 10:00 PM
If you do want to get Iaijutsu Focus damage on attacks of opportunity, the feat Mercurial Strike from Dragon Compendium (yes, yes, iffy sources) lets you draw a weapon and make an AoO with it, and causes the target to be flat-footed for that attack.

Note that, as-written, the feat doesn't really work, but the intent is clear.

captain fubar
2014-02-09, 10:15 PM
I recall their being an item in one of the dragon articles that would be well suited to this the reinforced weapon sheath, unfortunately I cant recall witch issue it was from. the spiked gauntlets should work just as well though they are a bit less thematic.

Karnith
2014-02-09, 10:27 PM
I recall their being an item in one of the dragon articles that would be well suited to this the reinforced weapon sheath, unfortunately I cant recall witch issue it was from.
Reinforced Sheaths are detailed Dragon Magazine #324.

For the curious, they allow you to make attacks with the sheath as though it were the weapon inside, dealing bludgeoning damage at a -2 to-hit penalty.

Snowbluff
2014-02-09, 10:38 PM
Mercurial Strike, Dragon #310.

Just have the spikes be little nubs on the hand of your Dastana and call it a day. No need for long fantasy spikes lol.

No! The Dastana are spiked, with wand chambers! Over spiked gauntlets! With wand chambers! Over Bucklers with Wand Chambers... or were the bucklers over all of those?

Callin
2014-02-09, 10:44 PM
Haha. Dude i miss our pbp. You are a trip

gawwy
2014-02-09, 10:45 PM
as Mercurial Strike is on Realmshelp.net my dm might allow it. if he does i might round out my build with this, combat reflexes and a reach weapon.

that depends on if he counts re sheathing a weapon as a move action or a free action as well i suppose.

I remember there being a pathfinder weapon strap that allowed you to drop a weapon and then recover it as a move action?

anything like that in 3.5 or 3.0 (not 3.P)

Snowbluff
2014-02-09, 10:51 PM
Haha. Dude i miss our pbp. You are a trip
Likewise. :D

I forgot about the 5 Poison Rings on each hand! Of course, they all are Ringswords. Each of your arms has been removed for Might Arms, so you can have a pair of Battle Fists which are also Ringswords and Defending +5! Don't forget to make one of them Empyreal +5 for the saves bonus! Oh, and Warning! :smalltongue:

as Mercurial Strike is on Realmshelp.net my dm might allow it. if he does i might round out my build with this, combat reflexes and a reach weapon.

that depends on if he counts re sheathing a weapon as a move action or a free action as well i suppose.

I remember there being a pathfinder weapon strap that allowed you to drop a weapon and then recover it as a move action?

anything like that in 3.5 or 3.0 (not 3.P)

For free action re-sheathing, you can use Gnomish Quickrazors, or reverse engineer the properties of a Cursed Longsword, which you will always draw instead of another weapon.

Techwarrior
2014-02-09, 10:58 PM
There is actually a Skill Trick that lets you make an Attack of Opportunity with a sheathed weapon. Sudden Draw I believe.

gawwy
2014-02-09, 11:05 PM
There is actually a Skill Trick that lets you make an Attack of Opportunity with a sheathed weapon. Sudden Draw I believe.

that's frikken sweet.

might have to actually put points into slight of hand now.

as a skill trick itll only work once per encounter but hey 2 skill points is cheaper than a feat right.

just realized if i can get the dm to sign off on the mercurial strike feat i can probably get it via heroics. its not a fighter feat damn (should be)