PDA

View Full Version : Magic Weapon boosting (Feats)

Orzel
2007-01-27, 09:57 PM
I was thinking about feats that allow non-full casters (the main users of magic weapons) to boost weapons that are similiar to their style. I wanted one foe each non-full caster base class. Unfortunately I can only think of the ranger and barb feats. I need YOUR HELP.

Share Bane

Prerequisites
Wis 12, Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, two or more favored enemies.

Benefit
As a move action, you can change the type or subtype designated to a held bane weapon. The weapon is designated the type of one of the types of creature you consider a favored enemy. A character with the Two Weapon Fighting feat can change two weapons as a move action but both weapons gain the same type. This effect last for rounds equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

The Raging Storm

Prerequisites
Str 16, Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, rage 3/day

Benefit
While in a rage and weilding a thundering, shock, or shocking burst weapon; your threat range is tripled.

Special
This effect doesn’t stack with any other effect that expands the threat range of a weapon.

icke
2007-01-30, 09:13 AM
Hammer of Justice

Prerequisites: Cha 15+, Smite Evil special ability

Benefit: When smiting evil with a holy weapon, a character may add twice her class level to damage.

Normal:A character adds her class level to damage on a successful Smite Evil attempt.

Assasinater
2007-01-30, 05:30 PM
Deadly Edge

Prerequisites: Sneak attack +8d6, Use Magic Device 4 ranks

Benefit: When sneak attacking, you may choose to treat your weapon as vorpal instead of keen (the weapon should have the keen enchantment and be a slashing weapon). You may use this ability once per day, and it lasts 1 round.

Gralamin
2007-01-30, 05:41 PM
I was thinking about feats that allow non-full casters (the main users of magic weapons) to boost weapons that are similiar to their style. I wanted one foe each non-full caster base class. Unfortunately I can only think of the ranger and barb feats. I need YOUR HELP.

These look pretty good, good job, though the Raging storm prereqs are too low.

Hammer of Justice

Prerequisites: Cha 15+, Smite Evil special ability

Benefit: When smiting evil with a holy weapon, a character may add twice her class level to damage.

Normal:A character adds her class level to damage on a successful Smite Evil attempt.

Umm no. Not for just that. I would say make it 1 and a half times, and make it so you have to be at least level 5 for it. As it stands, theres no reason NOT to take it at first level if your a Paladin. Thus its overpowered.

Deadly Edge

Prerequisites: Sneak attack +8d6, Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks

Benefit: When sneak attacking, you may choose to treat your weapon as vorpal instead of keen (the weapon should have the keen enchantment and be a slashing weapon).

Your not serious are you? This once again is overpowered.
Consider:
Rapier and Kukri two weapon fighting. both keen, and improved critical in each.
Even though Vorpal only works on a natural 20, you still are applying a +5 enchant for the price of +2.

Assasinater
2007-01-30, 06:03 PM
About the deadly edge, what if it would be limited to a usage of one round per day?

Gralamin
2007-01-30, 06:08 PM
That might be better, The point of my post was that they lost little and gained much from it. 1 round /day would be a good balancing factor

Indon
2007-01-30, 06:20 PM
Personally, I've always wanted to make monk weapons more viable past low levels.

Forceful Storm Stance

Prerequisites:Wisdom 15, Ki Strike special ability, Stunning Fist special ability.

Benefit:By expending one use of Stunning Fist for the day, a character with this feat may imbue one monk special weapon that possesses the Ki Focus property with their ki, changing any normal damage dice dealt by the weapon to the damage dealt by the monk with an unarmed attack. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to half the character's monk level, rounded down.

Normal:Monk special weapons deal damage dice in accordance with their weapon type.

I'm thinking maybe add a BAB requirement for it. Any comments?

Orzel
2007-01-30, 06:46 PM
Rage 3/day is level 8 meaning a Barbarian can'tget it 'til lvl 9. I don't see many barbarian weilding scimatars. Triple threat range for 5-10 rounds with a rare weapon type isn't that powerful.

Deadly edge is better a 1/day.
Hammer of Justice should be at least Cha 17 and Smite evil 2/day. Most paladins will have to dump a major stat to get to 17.

I was hoping for these feats to be level 5 or more.

I am having problems with fighters. With no real class features, I can't think of much.

Ideas:

1)
+3 or higher weapon = dispel magic 2/day, Caster level= fighter level (+2 if you have Weapon Spec. +4 for Greater Weapon Spec.)

2)
Dancing weapon= dances for 4 more rounds (+2 if you have Weapon Spec. +4 for Greater Weapon Spec.) and can move 30 feet from the fighter.

mabriss lethe
2007-01-30, 07:00 PM
Add some sort of risk involved in it. Say they have to make a spellcraft or concentration roll (or whatever other skill you might deem appropriate) vs a set DC or all of the item's magical abilities are suppressed for 24 hours. It makes the character think twice about using it unless the need is great. Also makes them invest in skills they might not otherwise take.

icke
2007-01-31, 05:53 AM
Hammer of Justice1.01

Prerequisites: Cha 15+, Smite Evil special ability(2/day)

Benefit: When smiting evil with a holy weapon, a character may add 1.5 times her class level to damage, rounded down.

You're right, twice class level as damage bonus really is too much, I just wanted to give the otherwise lousy smite ability a boost. But Gralamin's right, as a feat in itsself, it's too good. Cha 15+ still suffices, though. The feat is not strong enough to require an even tougher restriction.

Assasinater
2007-01-31, 09:20 AM
@mabriss lethe: Good ideas, which made me to come up with this.

Attuned Swiftness

Prerequisites: Dexterity 15+, Use Magic Device 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks

Benefit: When using a weapon with speed enchantment, you may make a DC 15 Spellcraft check. If successful, you are hasted (as the spell). If failed, the weapon temporarily loses its speed enchantment. Both effects last for 10 rounds.

Orzel
2007-01-31, 09:56 AM
I thought up one for fighters

Dismantling Attack

Prerequisites
Str 16, Int 12, Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, Weapon Specialization

Benefit
While weilding a weapon with a +3 enhancement bonus or higher that you have Weapon Specialization for, you can disintegrate an object that it touches, as the spell but requiring a melee touck attack. Performing this action deals 5d6 nonlethal damage to you. The Fortitude save DC for disintergration is 10 + 1/2 character levels + Con modifier.

icke
2007-01-31, 06:15 PM
I thought up one for fighters

Dismantling Attack

Prerequisites
Str 16, Int 12, Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, Weapon Specialization

Benefit
While weilding a weapon with a +3 enhancement bonus or higher that you have Weapon Specialization for, you can disintegrate an object that it touches, as the spell but requiring a melee touck attack. Performing this action deals 5d6 nonlethal damage to you. The Fortitude save DC for disintergration is 10 + 1/2 character levels + Con modifier.

As long as it just applies for objects, the 5d6 should not be neccessary. Why should one take this feat?

Orzel
2007-02-01, 08:55 AM
As long as it just applies for objects, the 5d6 should not be neccessary. Why should one take this feat?

Walls and cages both mundane and magical.

Quellian-dyrae
2007-02-01, 02:09 PM
These are kinda fun to make...excuse me for a moment while I get carried away...

Dire Bane
In lieu of striking at your foe's vital organs, you use their defenselessness to exert the full power of your weapon's bane magic.

Prerequisites: Sneak Attack +3d6, Knowledge (any appropriate, see below) 4 ranks.

Benefit: You may sneak attack creatures with a bane weapon keyed to their type, even if they are normally immune to sneak attacks. This only applies if you possess at least four ranks in the relevant Knowledge skill: Arcana for constructs, Religion for undead, Nature for plants, and Dungeoneering for oozes.

Dire Burst
You take advantage of your opponents' openings to unleash the elemental fury of your weapon.

Prerequisites: Sneak Attack +5d6.

Benefit: When wielding a burst or thundering weapon and inflicting a sneak attack, you may choose for the sneak attack damage to be energy damage of the same type as the burst, rather than precision-based damage. If your weapon has multiple burst effects, you may choose from among the available energy forms.

Heavy Impact
You have come to the unmistakable conclusion that force equals mass times speed.

Prerequisites: Power Attack, Base Attack +5.

Benefit: When wielding a colission weapon, you increase the bonus damage dealt by a successful power attack by 50%.

Blurring Speed
You are accustomed to fighting at a hasted speed.

Prerequisites: Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Greater Two Weapon Fighting, Base Attack +11, Dex 19+.

Benefit: When wielding multiple weapons of speed, you gain an additional attack from each speed weapon wielded. These bonus attacks still don't stack with other extra magical attacks.

Guardian Blade
You are so in-tune with your defensive weapon that it helps you defend yourself even when you are caught off-guard.

Prerequisites: Combat Expertise, Improved Combat Expertise, Base Attack Bonus +6.

Benefit: When using combat expertise, fighting defensively, or taking the total defense action while wielding a defending weapon, the AC bonus you gain becomes an untyped bonus, rather than a dodge bonus. As a result, you don't lose the bonus in situations where you would normally lose your Dexterity bonus to AC.

Parry Spell
You turn the defensive magic of your weapon against spells as well as blades.

Prerequisites: Combat Expertise, Improved Combat Expertise, Base Attack Bonus +6.

Benefit: When using a defending weapon, the AC bonus you gain from the weapon is also applied as a bonus on all your saving throws.

Store Ability
You can tweak your weapon's magic to store powers that aren't strictly spells.

Prerequisites: Use Magic Device 4 ranks.

Benefit: You may store a single daily use of a Supernatural or Spell-like ability in a spell storing weapon.

Penetrating Bane
Charging your weapon with your hatred, you can allow it to pierce your foes' defenses.

Prerequisites: At least two favored enemies.

Benefit: Any bane weapon you wield that is keyed to a favored enemy automatically bypasses that foe's damage reduction.

Searing Brilliance
You can empower weapons of light with the power of your deity, making them devastating tools against the undead.

Prerequisites: Ability to turn undead, Base Attack +11, Knowledge (Religion) 10 ranks.

Benefit: Any brilliant energy weapon you wield deals positive energy damage to undead as it passes through them. Since the weapon passes through undead opponents, it ignores their natural armor. Note that positive energy can damage incorporeal creatures without a miss chance. The undead creature gains a bonus to AC against the weapon equal to its Turn Resistance.

Righteous Weapon
You turn your weapon's power against all foes of Good.

Prerequisites: Smite Evil 2/day.

Benefit: Any weapon special ability that normally functions against undead also functions against evil outsiders, and vice-versa. This includes disruption weapons.

This was an awesome idea, Orzel. I'm starting to think of another strain it could take...feats that improve certain combinations of weapon abilities. However, I do believe that it is time for me to stop.

Assasinater
2007-02-01, 03:22 PM
Doesn't force equal mass times acceleration, not speed? :)

Anyway, great feats, and I agree, they are fun to make.

mabriss lethe
2007-02-01, 03:40 PM
hmm just a thought.
I recently reread the 3.5 handbook and noticed something I'd forgotten about as soon as I read it the first time. There are no class-restricted skills in 3.5. Everything is at least a Cross-class.

It seems to me that it would require a fair bit of dedication and special training to be able to warp the effects of magical items. I'd say most of these feats, as a way of explaining the "how?" that's bound to crop up, should require at least a few token ranks of Use Magic Device. probably not all that many, since it's a CC skill for everyone except for the classes it was originally restricted to in 3.0 , say... 4 to 6 ranks as a good benchmark to start thing out. That means that all classes would hit eligibility at level 5 or so and actually have to invest ahead of time to make the most of these feats. (it would also give bards and rogues a bit of a head start in this arena. something the bard, at least, could use.)

And yes, the whole idea is great fun

Assasinater
2007-02-01, 04:10 PM
Again, great idea. And I was thinking there were something not quite right about the Knowledge (arcana) requirements. Knowing about magic is one thing, but these are active tweakings that are made on magical weapons. Use Magic Device is perfect for this. I think I will change all Knowledge (arcana) requirements to Use Magic Device.

Hmm...

Arc Lightning
Combining your exceptional skill with your magical weapon, you can create chains of lightning which can rival that of a mage.

Prerequisites: Cleave, Great Cleave, Spellcraft 8 ranks, Use Magic Device 8 ranks

Benefit: When cleaving in battle with a shock or shocking burst weapon, you can carry the total electrical damage that you dealt to your last target onto your new target. A Spellcraft check of DC 12 is required to do so. While this effect is cumulative, each such usage furthers the DC by 2.

I have the feeling that the wording isn't so clear. Does it require further explanation? Or is it overpowered?