PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 wild shape

Teapot Salty
2014-02-09, 09:02 PM
Hey guys. I was wondering how wild shape affects your physical stats. If I where a human with 10/10/10 stats, if I changed into say a bear, would my stats increase to the avarage of a bear (for the sake of argument, let's say their 14/10/14) or would they stay the same as if I where a human. Also, do racial modifiers affect wild shape? I'm assuming not but I'm not sure. Also how is hp affected? Thanks.

Karnith
2014-02-09, 09:05 PM
If I where a human with 10/10/10 stats, if I changed into say a bear, would my stats increase to the avarage of a bear (for the sake of argument, let's say their 14/10/14) or would they stay the same as if I where a human.As an ability based on Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm), your physical stats would be replaced by those of the animal that you are Wild Shaping into.

Also, do racial modifiers affect wild shape?They do not.

Also how is hp affected?
Each time you Wild Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#wildShape), you regain HP as though you had rested for a night. Your maximum HP do not change, even if the Constitution score of your new form is different than that of your normal form.

eggynack
2014-02-09, 09:05 PM
You just get the physical stats listed on the bear's stat blocks, regardless of your prior scores. Bonuses that aren't just a part of you, like items or spells, apply on top of the bear's stats. While your constitution is changed, and other things are changed based on that (concentration checks, fortitude saves, stuff), your HP is completely unchanged. You do restore 1 HP/level from the act of wild shaping though.

EugeneVoid
2014-02-09, 09:06 PM
This belongs better in the simple question thread.

I don't know that much, but your physical stats (Str, Dex, Con) take the animals stats.

Making the fighter cry even more.

Edit: So fest, this playgroond

OldTrees1
2014-02-09, 09:06 PM
When you wildshape, you take the physical ability scores of the animal regardless of what your own physical ability scores were.

An average Orc Druid (14Str) and a Human Druid(10Str) both have 14Str* when in Bear Form

*I used the information on bears found in the OP

Teapot Salty
2014-02-09, 10:40 PM
As an ability based on Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm), your physical stats would be replaced by those of the animal that you are Wild Shaping into.
They do not.

Each time you Wild Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#wildShape), you regain HP as though you had rested for a night. Your maximum HP do not change, even if the Constitution score of your new form is different than that of your normal form.
Thanks so much, one more question though, what if I change into something like a rat, does my hp only match the maximum for the rat or is it not even effected by you changing into a smaller creature?

eggynack
2014-02-09, 10:42 PM
Thanks so much, one more question though, what if I change into something like a rat, does my hp only match the maximum for the rat or is it not even effected by you changing into a smaller creature?
Your HP is unchanged by wild shape in any direction, for any reason. It just stays as is, for better or worse.

Teapot Salty
2014-02-10, 12:22 PM
Your HP is unchanged by wild shape in any direction, for any reason. It just stays as is, for better or worse.

Rebel7284
2014-02-10, 12:30 PM
I actually have a related question that I have been wondering about.

Say you wildshape or polymorph into a creature and then take Con damage, what happens to your hitpoints? Since the creature's Con is not being used to recalculate your HP, does it change?

Diarmuid
2014-02-10, 12:41 PM
So an 8th level druid with 40 HP and a 12 Con, who changes into an animal with a 16 Con still has 40HP. I get that if he had 20/40 HP at time of change, he would go up to 36/40.

While it's clear that the normal rule about changing your Con ("If a character's Constitution score changes enough to alter his or her Constitution modifier, the character's hit points also increase or decrease accordingly.") doesnt come into play due to the specifics listed in the Polymorph spell, does the new Con score change your maximum HP so that you could later be healed up to a higher total than your normal max?

Would the druid from above go from 40/40 to 40/56 with the +4 Con adjustment?

eggynack
2014-02-10, 12:45 PM
I actually have a related question that I have been wondering about.

Say you wildshape or polymorph into a creature and then take Con damage, what happens to your hitpoints? Since the creature's Con is not being used to recalculate your HP, does it change?
I would figure yes, at the very least because that damage would stick around when you return back to normal form. The interaction of ability damage and wild shape is weird as hell though, in pretty much all cases.

So an 8th level druid with 40 HP and a 12 Con, who changes into an animal with a 16 Con still has 40HP. I get that if he had 20/40 HP at time of change, he would go up to 36/40.

While it's clear that the normal rule about changing your Con ("If a character's Constitution score changes enough to alter his or her Constitution modifier, the character's hit points also increase or decrease accordingly.") doesnt come into play due to the specifics listed in the Polymorph spell, does the new Con score change your maximum HP so that you could later be healed up to a higher total than your normal max?

Would the druid from above go from 40/40 to 40/56 with the +4 Con adjustment?
Nah, the maximum stays the same. That's what your hit points being retained means. Also, you would only go up from 20/40 to 36/40 at level 8, because sleeping recovers 1 HP/level.

Diarmuid
2014-02-10, 12:48 PM
I'm guessing you meant 28/40, but you're right =). I figured that was the idea, especially when I considered what would happen when you changed back to your old Con 12 form if you had been healed to the new maximum.

Thanks.

eggynack
2014-02-10, 12:52 PM
Wait, yeah, I did mean that other thing. Alas, these are the perils of holding three sets of numbers in your mind at once, and constructing a claim that only uses two of those sets.

Rebel7284
2014-02-10, 01:49 PM
I would figure yes, at the very least because that damage would stick around when you return back to normal form. The interaction of ability damage and wild shape is weird as hell though, in pretty much all cases.

Weird as hell indeed. While that makes sense, what happens when you get to 12 Con drained? Would you stay at 1 HP/HD minimum until your "active" Con reached 0?

Is there anything in any FAQs/Rules Compendium/Etc. that addresses this topic?

bekeleven
2014-02-10, 02:16 PM
Oh god, are we doing the ability damage - in - wild - shape thing again? All I recall from last time was an unproductive dust-up with ur-priest.

I think we ended up agreeing that ability damage in wild-shape carried out, but ability damage outside of wild shape didn't carry-in. I can't recall why, I think the interaction between instantaneous effects and ability replacement.

Everyone in the thread agreed that RACSD for this particular case was all that should ever see a table.

deathwolf669
2014-02-10, 02:30 PM
Go to charactersheets.minotaur.cc and download his druid character sheet it has a wildshape page :D

I copied mine into publisher and made several pages for my druid.

eggynack
2014-02-10, 04:43 PM
Oh god, are we doing the ability damage - in - wild - shape thing again? All I recall from last time was an unproductive dust-up with ur-priest.

Yeah, my answers nowabouts are generally of the form, "The interaction between ability damage and wild shape is silly," essentially as a nod to that thread. I'm inclined to think that there are no good times down that road.