PDA

View Full Version : Monk Build advice

Ivillious
2014-02-09, 09:40 PM
First things first, i know monks are a pretty measly class to start with when trying to build a strong character especially when you add vow of poverty, however I have decided that for roleplay reasons i want to make one.

So the current build is monk 2 / spirit shaman 4 / Sacred Fist 5 / and Fist of the forest 1 . The build centers around the sacred fist levels increasing its spell casting and its monk unarmed. The spell casting at the moment is being used for buffing spells like bite of the werebear etc and later on weretiger and fires of purity possibly tortoise form since he has permanent freedom of movement from VoP. The main problem I'm having at the moment is his damage is a little low for my liking, the ac is nice sitting consistently at 40 when buffed and and having a nice hp pool by starting with 16 con before buffs. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any ways of increasing the damage of my attacks or more importantly getting more attacks per round he doesnt have Improved natural attack yet but it is on the list of things to get

Callin
2014-02-09, 09:45 PM
Monks Belt and the feat from ToB will increase your unarmed by a good chunck

Ivillious
2014-02-09, 09:56 PM
Monks Belt and the feat from ToB will increase your unarmed by a good chunck

I don't think you read it correctly he has a vow of poverty so monks belt is not an option. And sorry but which feet from ToB were you talking about? its my first character like this so im unsure of some of the more obscure feats

Callin
2014-02-09, 10:04 PM
I read correctly i just brain farted is all. Im afb but it increases your monk lvl by 4 or 5 like a monks belt for unarmed damage only.

Gwendol
2014-02-10, 04:53 AM
Why four levels of spirit shaman? Looks like you would be better served gaining more levels in sacred fist for your unarmed damage. Alternatively, you could pick up the OA spirit shaman instead: you get domains like a cleric, a druid pet, some unarmed fighting abilities (bonus feats) and turn undead for the price of losing your spontaneous casting.

You could go into swordsage later and gain their maneuvers which should make up for your lack of damage.

Telonius
2014-02-10, 05:37 AM
Sacred Fist does have that 8 point prereq in Knowledge (Religion), so you're looking at a minimum of 3 levels anyway. Delaying Sacred Fist one level to get a semi-permanent Protection from Evil doesn't sound like that bad of an idea.

Size increases and Improved Natural Attack are the easiest ways to improve unarmed strike damage. After that you have to get a bit creative in either stacking on extra damage sources (like sneak attack or skirmish) or increasing the number of attacks available to you.

If you had access to the Law domain somehow I'd suggest Totemist/Sapphire Hierarch.

Sian
2014-02-10, 05:58 AM
if going for exalted anyhows, Touch of Golden Ice is quite handy, might be a lowish DC but you're forcing the opponent to take it very often, and whenever the opponent fails you get an easier time hitting them (hence forcing them to take the Fort Save even more often)

Rubik
2014-02-10, 06:00 AM
Do whatever it takes to boost Touch of Golden Ice's stupid static DC. The only thing that comes to mind which does is to take the Ability Focus (ToGI) feat, from the Monster Manual.

Alternately, reduce your foes' saving throws, though that takes a lot more effort, since you have to do it every time you encounter someone new.

Sian
2014-02-10, 06:21 AM
Saint Template can boost it by +2 as well

and depending on how you're reading the stuff it could be argued that stuff boosting poison DC's should also work on revages (which is poisons in all but name, even saying that it works as poisons unless other said)

Ivillious
2014-02-10, 10:30 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. wish i made this post first now because a lot of it is stuff that cant be changed now we are in a game. I was thinking about the feet snap kick and wondering if there is any other variations of it

Captnq
2014-02-10, 11:17 PM
Well, actually there is some conjecture if grafts are equipment.

By the RAW of it, if it's grafted to your body, it's not equipment, ergo it's not prohibited by the VoP. Run that by your DM. If so... Extra natural attacks, Extra natural attacks, extra natural attacks.

Then get a Necklace of natural weaponry. Since it is a "weapon", have it grafted to your throat using the Illithid weapon grafts. yes, you'll take a hit to your will save, but the boost to all your natural attacks is worth it.

Extra eyes never hurt either.