PDA

View Full Version : A question concerning Craft: Construct

ngilop
2014-02-09, 11:32 PM
Hey all, I am in a D&D campaign right now and i have an open bonus feat, which I am debating on if it should be Craft Construct or maybe something else

Right now the party is me: a wizard

Dwarf fighter who uses intimidate alot and grabbed imperious command upon me suggesting it, but saying ' no i am going dwarven paragon for the +2 con instead of Avenging executioner, becasue 2 Con is 1 more HP per level"

Elf ranger/druid -not really sure why we split class something about im going 3 levels in fighter becuase thats how I will get damage, to which i repleid.. but you could just go druid for 5 levels and wildshape into a velociraptor....

The party has literally only survied this long ( well the guys first ranger/druid died so his twin brother came in and appranrly he has another ranger/druid made up just in case this one dies as well, and by just in case I think he means imma suicide when i get the chance)

anyways sorry for the rant there. they have only survivced this long because I am doing everything i can with my magic to save their behinds (the DM allows me to scribe scrolls without spedning EXP and we get literaly MONTHS of down time between sessions)

So now we are at the point where the party is going to start dieign (expcet for me) because of their ineffectual characters, and trust me. thats bad when I say they are ineffectual.

the fighter has all but 2 of his feats being toughness, and im not sure what is up with the ranger/druid who highest stat was put into strength and only has a wisdom of 11.

I tried to help them:

the ranger/druid is new and I asked him to give me a concept so that I could maybe present him with a selection of feats, anc classes ( both base and prestige) to better help him build that concept.

the fighter has 'been playing for 15 years and argued that a fighter is superior to a wizard and told a story on how he killed 12 high level ones at once then, when i rpelied " were they all asleep and you whirlwinded a coup-de-grace? or did they all just stand there to be executed" he got miffed and gave some explanation on how he jumped from a cliff and turned into a giant dwarf fighter bomb and killed them all becasue they have low HP

I am tired of well to put in in Internet game terms carrying their sorry arses through everything, but more than that, i am genuinely trying to help them and they either completely ignore me or argue that im stupid and a 20th level fighter kills 20th level wizards like a hot knife through butter.

I just know that it basically going to be me with 2 'redshirt' decoys from this point on ( the DM said now you guys are getting into the actual hard part of the story)

I just wondering are constructs worth it to take time and effort into making to be my 'actual' group mates?

Adalwolf
2014-02-10, 06:13 AM
Given the notable benefits of constructs (immunities to various drains, ability damage, critical hits and the like) i would say that they are definitely worth it. The downsides are the costs, if i remember well a regular Clay Golem requires at least 20k gold and 1k experience to create...If you can handle the costs i believe a construct would be very useful in many given situations. I am 80% sure that you need extra gold to repair constructs because they do not heal automatically. Hope i helped! Cheers...

chaos_redefined
2014-02-10, 06:22 AM
They don't heal naturally, but wizards have access to repair _ damage, which is a lot like the cure _ wounds line, except it works on constructs instead of living creatures.

The main problem with construct building is that if you don't have a way of upgrading them, they fall into obscurity. So, make sure you pick one that can be advanced. Also remember to equip them as well.

Yeah, it gets expensive. It's not like you needed your wealth for anything really anyway, is it?

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-10, 11:23 AM
Constructs are also good for utility. There is a construct that can craft for you. They are immune to fatuige and can run indefinitely, so make a few mounts from strong creatures with good fly speeds for overland movement. They can go 4X their fly speed all day long. Make an effigy Young Adult Gold Dragon to cart the party around with it's 200ft fly speed. It is big enough to be a mount for a party of 4, and tough enough to not die the first time it gets caught in an area attack.

ngilop
2014-02-10, 09:49 PM
I think i need to be an effigy master tomake effigies though

What are the better constructs to make?

id prefer something that i could start with that has a low HD/CR and the ability to upgrade it, much like the clockroach

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-10, 09:54 PM
You don't need effigy master to make effigies. Just Craft Construct is plenty.

And read this:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=177

And I talk a little bit about effigies in my handbook here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14zilT4WGOyHM0AfpG4-GmD2FkgDg1HZ9HC1cTleQHds/edit

Edit: Also, aren't you at the level where you can be Planar Binding now?

Roga
2014-02-11, 01:02 AM
Eternal wands of Repair light damage are always nice.

Drachasor
2014-02-11, 01:34 AM
I actually think the biggest problem with constructs is that if it breaks, then it is gone forever. With the cost, that's really rough.

ngilop
2014-02-11, 04:08 PM
Yes, i can planar bind.

but the DM is more open to me crafting a construct ( or mutiple thereof.. i COMPLETELY fogot about the homunculous) than binding a lot fo outsiders to my will.

he sees all constructs like golem THE typical big stupid fighter just wades in rolling d20s.

Plus he said we need more things to be damage shields, when i first broached the idea of ' so im thinking about making golems with my bonus feat'

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-11, 08:13 PM
Do you have Craft Wondrous Item? Craft Magic Arms and Armor?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aG4P3dU6WP3pq8mW9l1qztFeNfqQHyI22oJe09i8KWw/edit?pli=1

That's something that can help your item-creation and wealth-creation ideas... making constructs gets EXPENSIVE... fyi that links to the Mechonomocon.

Also, there is a word document called "The Malconvoker Report". Read it. I think it is here:

http://mxyzplk.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/the-malconvoker-report.doc

ngilop
2014-02-11, 10:15 PM
yeah i have both requsite CRAFT feats.

so far my money making has been massive amounts of created salt, which ive been nice enough to sell at a drastically reduces price, selling a pound of salt for 2 gold.

One thing i am planning on doing is creating a aquaduct system for a town by creating a 'cave' from which the water comes from a mountain in the form of 3 decanters of endless water, 1 set to geyser and 2 set to stream, that will net me 32 galons of water every 6 seconds.. don't really know if that'll be enough to water a town.

My plan is to set the 'cave' up as a large bowl ( about 35-40 feet in diameter)with the hole for the water to be about 1/2 ro 2/3 of the way up.