PDA

View Full Version : Gliding + attack

maniacalmojo
2014-02-09, 11:47 PM
One of my friends is a dragonborn samuri and asked me if they could fly and attack and if that would give bonus damage and i.. did not have an answer. Any thoughts? i think flying in and lobbing someones head off would be cool but not sure mechanically how that would work. not familier with flying stuff.

OldTrees1
2014-02-09, 11:52 PM
Yes.

Dragonborn and Raptorians are allowed to make a Diving Attack with any piercing weapon.
Diving Attack is an option that all flying creatures can make if they charge while flying and descend at least 10ft. (although most can only do it with claws/talons)

So your friend does x2 damage if they descend 10ft during their flying charge and they are wielding a piercing weapon.

maniacalmojo
2014-02-10, 12:05 AM
Awesome thank you for the quick response :)

Side note, can you pair that with iajutso focus?

OldTrees1
2014-02-10, 12:15 AM
Awesome thank you for the quick response :)

Side note, can you pair that with iajutso focus?

Yes if you draw your weapon and are attacking a flat-footed foe.

shylocke
2014-02-10, 01:06 AM
Tell him to look at feats in any monster manual or savage species. Flyby attack is sweet

gawwy
2014-02-10, 01:24 AM
for iaijutsu focus use a blurstrike weapon.

on a related note does a human dragonborn that uses the rite of rebirth lose its bonus feat and skill points?

how does losing skill points work?

OldTrees1
2014-02-10, 01:55 AM
for iaijutsu focus use a blurstrike weapon.

on a related note does a human dragonborn that uses the rite of rebirth lose its bonus feat and skill points?

how does losing skill points work?

Yes they lose their racial feat and bonus skill points. The rite of rebirth(races of dragon) gives explicit instruction on how this happens.

IIRC: You can lose any feat and deduct your HD in skill points from any skill(s)

maniacalmojo
2014-02-10, 02:13 AM
certain race features get lost but others remain. Warforged keep all immunities but lose composite plating (and RAW they can also still get the warforged first level armor traits like adamentine armor although fluff wise seems wierd)

SPoilaaja
2014-02-10, 03:07 AM
Attacking from higher ground grants +1 to hit.

Eloel
2014-02-10, 03:13 AM
Attacking from higher ground grants +1 to hit.

You're not on (higher) ground when flying.

SPoilaaja
2014-02-10, 03:18 AM
Rules compendium about higher ground: "You receive the same bonus if DM determines you're higher than your target for some reason." It does not say anything about being on ground. Usually it's only applicable when you're mounted, and nowhere does it say that the mount has to touch ground, and your character is definitely not touching ground when mounted. So: If the DM rules that you can benefit from being on "higher ground" when flying, it's all good, but it doesn't state anywhere, that you have to be touching the ground.