PDA

View Full Version : Spell storing & Metamagic

Illyria
2014-02-10, 04:35 AM
I have a character that has a spell storing weapon and is a Metamagic blaster type. I am not sure if this combo works as I have seen many conflicting opinions on the various forums. The character is a Fighter 2 / Warmage 10.

3rd level spell: Sound Lance (SC 196) ~ Deals 1d8 / CL (10d8) to targeted creature

+ Sudden Enlarge: No Spell Level Cost ~ + 50% to variable damage dice (so the spell is now 15d8)

+ Sudden Maximize: No Spell Level Cost ~ Max out variable Dmg.

*and its sonic Dmg., really whats immune to sonic Dmg. in this game?

Am I correct that this would do 120 Dmg. automatically (or 60 if they make will save) + weapon Dmg.?

Why I think it would work...
1. It's a 3rd level spell that targets a creature (fits in spell storing rules)
2. Sudden Enlarge & Sudden Maxamize have a 0 cost... so the effective level is still 0.

My questions... Does it use my CL to determine number of dice I.E. 3d8 vs. 10d8?
Also, can she cast the spell the day before so everything reups overnight, effectivly giving her a way to use this 2x?:smallconfused:

OldTrees1
2014-02-10, 04:44 AM
Empower and Maximize to not affect each other. You get 80(max of 10d8) + 5d8(+50% of 10d8)

Khedrac
2014-02-10, 07:36 AM
As Oldtrees1 says it is Empower not Enlarge.

Now, the Sudden line of metamagic feats apply the base metamagic feat without increasing the spell level for the caster. There's a strong argument that Sudden Empower "supplies" the extra two spell levels - as the spell that's cast is Empowered Sound Lance not Sudden Empowered Sound Lance.

All that said, apart from Heighten Spell, metamagic feats don't actually change the spell level - so the Empowered Sound Lance is still a 3rd level spell.
This is definitely the case for save DCs and interaction with Globes of Invulnerability, but is it the case for spell-storing slots? This is not covered in the rules and attempts to assume that it is are likely to get DMGs thrown at you.

This is very much "ask your DM", but seeing as you can only cast 1/day they may be OK with it.

Oh yes, stickler DMs may point out that 5d8 is not half of 10d8 - they have different probablility distrbutions, e.g. 40 is 1 in 32,768 on 5D8 but 1 in 1,073,741,824 from half of 10d8.