PDA

View Full Version : Spell PEACH needed

Melcar
2014-02-10, 06:30 AM
Hi...

In the past this great community have been very helpfull commenting and pointing out flaws of my homebrew creations... And so I once again turn to this place for help.

I have yet another homebrew spell of mine that I need some help with/ comments on. I hope your will be so kind again.

Melcar’s Spell Miasma
Abjuration
Level: Sor/wiz 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: One standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Until next spell
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No
This spell brings into effect the very power and mechanics of the weave. This spell is cast before an offensive spell. The next offensive spell the caster of Melcar’s Spell Miasma casts cannot then be stopped by any known means: Any known protection spell, this include any spell of any school and level, spell resistance, spell turning, absorption, anti-magic zones, dead-magic zones, counterspell, immunities, and so on. Even items such as Rod of Absorption, Ring of Spell turning, Shield of Mirroring or staff of the magi does not protect against this spell. Neither does spells like Globe of Invulnerability, Prismatic Sphere, Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere, Elminster’s Effulgent Epuration or any spells and effects that duplicate such. This includes spells and effects of epic and deific power level. The only defense for the target of this spell is a saving throw - if the spell in question allows one. Even then, such rolls suffer a -5 penalty. Melcar’s Spell Miasma does not prevent events that would normally disrupt the casting of the second spell.
Material Component: a Star Sapphire.

Tell me what your think and what mistakes I've made.

Thanks in advance! :smallsmile:

TuggyNE
2014-02-10, 07:22 AM
This is not a ninth-level spell. It might, possibly, be an epic spell, but I expect the epic rules would make this very difficult to develop, which is probably about right.

XionUnborn01
2014-02-10, 11:15 AM
For the duration, I think it should be 'See Text' in the style of True Strike. And then the spell would say "The next spell you cast blah blah."

I agree that this is probably an epic spell without toning it down though I'm not sure where to go.

jedipotter
2014-02-10, 02:10 PM
An irresistible spell is not a bad idea, in theory. But to have any spell, or anything for that matter, to be absolutely irresistible is a bad idea. Even for a 9th level spell. It is bad enough that by RAI many spells are supreme in power, like the death touch of the God of Death can be stopped by the spell death ward. And no normal spell, even a 9th level one, should have any effect on Epic magic.

Melcar
2014-02-10, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the comments so far.

A couple of things. It specifically says somewhere around Epic spells that they interact with normal spell as if they were normal spells. So that was the reason for that. I will remove the the deific power line though.

What I have not written was that there is another component wich is a Weave Sphere (see below). So its in the more expensive range of spells.

Besides that... Is it any good? Would you want to cast it /use it? Or is it too situational?

Please keep the ideas and comments comming! Thanks!

Melcar’s Weave Sphere
Evocation
Level: Sor/wiz 9
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting time: 1 hour
Range: Personal
Target: The Weave
Duration: 24 Hours
Saving Throw: None
Spell resistance: No
This is one of the most dangerous and powerful spells created since the fall of Netheril. Upon the casting of this powerful evocation, the caster taps into the raw unfiltered power of the weave, drawing power directly from it, creating a concentrated sphere of energy that holds immense power. This however has a risk. When this spell is cast, a 1% chance of the spell failing utterly, ripping the caster apart, exists. Should this happen only a divine intervention can bring the person back to life. If the spell is a success, a silver white sphere of weave essence is collected. The Weave Sphere has a variety of functions.

• A Weave Sphere is used as a powerful component in extreme spells and, being raw weave energy, it acts as a conductor to the weave, making greater and more powerful spells possible. When used to power a spell, the possibilities of that spell goes beyond the limits of level 9 spell. A level 11 spell with the right components and fueled with enough weave spheres would be possible.

• The Weave Sphere functions like a temporary “Mythallar” (5 ft. per caster level emanation). Only the caster of the spell has the ability to touch the Weave Sphere. (Any item, or creature, living or undead touching the weave sphere is instantly destroyed, fortitude save DC 47 negates. This however destroys the Weave Sphere, causing an explosion in a radius of 5ft. per caster level, damaging everything 1d6 per caster level. The sphere is controlled telepathically via telekinesis and unless directed, hovers a few feet from the caster.

• Functioning like a “Mythallar” the spell emanates magic. This ability suppresses an Antimagic Field, Dead Magic Zone, Wild-magic Zone and similar effects and therefore it is not susceptible to dispel or disjunctions spells, even of epic level.
Material Component: A Perfect Moonstone
XP Cost: 1500 exp

Debihuman
2014-02-10, 05:27 PM
Here are the rules on Epic spells: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spellsIntro.htm and here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/developingEpicSpells.htm

You should take a look as epic spells are designed differently.

Debby

Melcar
2014-02-10, 06:48 PM
Here are the rules on Epic spells: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spellsIntro.htm and here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/developingEpicSpells.htm

You should take a look as epic spells are designed differently.

Debby

The above mentioned spells are not supposed to be epic spells. Just to make that clear. If that is indeed the thought of this community then I will think on this, but so far its still non epic.

TuggyNE
2014-02-10, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the comments so far.

A couple of things. It specifically says somewhere around Epic spells that they interact with normal spell as if they were normal spells.

That's only partly true. Epic spells are automatically resistant to AMFs, for example, and can readily be designed to override normal spell protections or prevent normal spells from punching through them. Saying "no, no matter what you do, this ninth-level spell is better than that, yes even then" is just backwards.

Melcar
2014-02-11, 10:33 AM
I would like to direct your attecntion to the total component amount to actually cast the spell.

Not only do you have to cast a 1 hour casting time spell that costs 5000g and 1500 xp, but also the spell itself, which also has a materal component.

And then ts no garantee that the buffed spell actually end the encounter.

Perhaps I fail to see the power the spell.

Thanks for all your advise and suggestions so far, they have been most helpful.

Max Caysey
2014-02-11, 03:55 PM
First of all...

I like the weave sphere spell. It has some cool aplications. I just like the concept.

The miasma spell I have trouble with. You want it too be brokenly powerful. I see the reason for this. Sometimes things will be pretty much untouchable. Like A demi lich or dragon bone golem or a prismatic great wyrm. What can you do against such a foe... When facing something so powerful its nice to have something like this. Is it too powrful. Sure... will it break the game... I dont think so. Lets say you face some poweful lich. Protected by prismatic sphere, and what not. How could this end the game? You could cast a multiple enhanced, acid, fire, sonic, cold, electricity admixtured, twinned, intesified moonbow, but basically this spell will more often than not help you yes, but end the encounter for good, not so often.

Actually the more I think about it, the less application I actually see for this spell. When are you going to actually use it? Its simply too dificult to cast. It would be much more easy for you to just cast gate, either under the enemy or gating in a Hecatonchires or something similar.

Melcar
2014-02-12, 04:52 AM
I see your point. I will go back to the drawing board and repost it when I fell I'm done.