PDA

View Full Version : Wonna check my Spellbook? (3,5E)

Kerilstrasz
2014-02-10, 12:56 PM
I'm playing a wizard in my current campaign...
It is a premade campaign that it is supposed to be 1-20 level.

The party is currently at lvl6..

Anyhow.. i'd like to tell you what spells i know and maybe ask you to propose some spells for me to use/learn.

She's not a "combat/blaster" wiz. She focus on crafting, provide solutions when mundane means can't, and slightly tip the scales in combat by some buffing, and tactical teleportation spells as benign transposition, regroup etc etc..

So.. My spellbook

Spells LvL 0
All
Spells LvL 1
Alarm
Animate Rope
Benign Transposition
Blockade
Cause Fear
Color Spray
Endure Elements
Enlarge Person
Grease
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Mount
True Strike
Unseen Servant
Spells LvL 2
Bull's Strength
Cat's Grace
Darkvision
Fox's Cunning
Glitterdust
Invisibility
Kelgore's Grave Mist
Knock
Leomund's Trap
Levitate
See Invisibility
Web
Spells LvL 3
Dispel Magic
Gaseous Form
Mage Armor, Mass
Regroup
Secret Page
Shrink Item
Snake's Swiftness, Mass
Stinking Cloud

So.. what do you think? I m now called to add 1 more lvl 1, 1 more lvl2 and 3 more lvl3 spells.. any suggestions?

PS: By the way.. is there any Pr.C. that focus on item creation???
PS2: Since i always have spells with "teleportation" subschool prepared every day, i was thinking a 1lvl dip Wayfarer Guide , what do you think?

Thnx for your time

Kerilstrasz
2014-02-10, 05:05 PM
No one?
Really?

Captnq
2014-02-10, 05:55 PM
Uh... yer a generalist. You should get every spell you can find and then research some custom ones.

I'm not sure if you are asking the right question here. Are you looking for the high end spells? Most bang for your buck? Great combos?

And I don't know what the campaign setting is or your concept. Hard to make recommendations.

Captnq
2014-02-10, 06:18 PM
Here. Pick a few. They are all awesome.

1st level
ALIBI
BIGBY’S HELPFUL HAND (and shield other)
BLOOD WIND
COMPREHEND LANGUAGES
HOARD GULLET
MAGECRAFT
NERVESKITTER
SUMMON MONSTER I
TRANSFERENCE
TRUE CASTING
TRUE STRIKE

2nd
ALTER SELF
BLACK KARMA CURSE
CELERITY, LESSER
CHAIN OF EYES
CLOUD OF KNIVES
COMBUST
CREATE MAGIC TATTOO
DETECT THOUGHTS
FALSE LIFE
ICICLE
KELGORE’S GRAVE MIST
MIRROR IMAGE
RESIST ENERGY
ROPE TRICK
SEEKING RAY
SLIDE, GREATER
SUFFER THE FLESH
SUMMON MONSTER II
TASHA’S HIDEOUS LAUGHTER
WRAITHSTRIKE

3rd
ADORATION OF THE FRIGHTFUL
ALTER FORTUNE
CLOAK OF KHYBER
DISTILLED JOY
ENGULFING TERROR
GENTLE REPOSE
HASTE
MIGHTY WALLOP, GREATER
NONDETECTION
SHRINK ITEM
SLOW
SUMMON MONSTER III
VAMPIRIC TOUCH

Magesmiley
2014-02-10, 06:31 PM
If you're looking for versatility and utility, I find that the summon monster spells are often good choices. And they're useful in and out of combat. I've found haste to work reasonably well as another good 3rd-level spell to choose.

You really should think about some custom spells that complement how you want to play your character.

Kerilstrasz
2014-02-10, 06:57 PM
Hmm.. i ll keep in mind that "create my own spells" suggestion.. but as it takes time, for the moment i ll spend this time to craft items...

Thnx for the list CaptNq, i ll check them.

How about these?

PS: By the way.. is there any Pr.C. that focus on item creation???
PS2: Since i always have spells with "teleportation" subschool prepared every day, i was thinking a 1lvl dip Wayfarer Guide , what do you think?

Sudain
2014-02-10, 10:30 PM
I'm playing a wizard in my current campaign...
It is a premade campaign that it is supposed to be 1-20 level.

The party is currently at lvl6..

Anyhow.. i'd like to tell you what spells i know and maybe ask you to propose some spells for me to use/learn.

She's not a "combat/blaster" wiz. She focus on crafting, provide solutions when mundane means can't, and slightly tip the scales in combat by some buffing, and tactical teleportation spells as benign transposition, regroup etc etc..

Excellent - thank you for providing us with a clue as to what you are going for and details! If you are willing we can dissect it a little better.

At any given day you will have 4 spell slots(ignoring extra slots from specialized school and intellect). So I'm going to use increments of 25%, because that's 1 slot out of 4. Repeat this process for every spell level and use your extra spell slots from intellect and specialization(if you took it) to help fill in the gaps. Obviously you have the option of preparing different spells if you know what's coming ahead; this is just if it's a generic bland sunny day with no knowledge of what the plot brings.

0% - Theme(Crafting)
25% - Solutions
25% - Buffing
50% - Teleporting

I give crafting 0% because it's done in downtime, so unless the spell is directly applicable to combat or something you'd want prepared daily(fly) for example I'm assuming you'll only prepare it when you are actually crafting the item. I'm expecting the majority of your 'left-over' spells to be for crafting.

25% solutions - I have no clue what else is in your party make up, but out of your spells I consider the following to be 'solution' spells:
Level 1: Alarm, Animate Rope, Unseen Servant.
Level 2: Knock, Lemonds Trap, Glitterdust
Level 3: Dispel Magic, Secret Page, Shrink Item,

25% Buffing - People always need a buff! But how many are applicable to your party, and which ones will you actually cast versus a different option in combat? And what do you do once buffing no longer makes a difference?
Level 1: Endure Elements, Enlarge Person, Mage Armor
Level 2: Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Darkvision, Fox's Cunning, Invisibility, See Invisibility, Levitate
Level 3: Gaseous Form, Mass Mage Armor, Mass Snake's Swiftness

50% Teleporting
Level 1: Benign Transposition
Level 2: --
Level 3: Regroup

Is this what you were intending with your current spell selection? Are you content with the way your character has been playing?

There is a PrC for crafting - it's the artificer in eberon. Complete mage/complete Arcane has Effegy Master but I honestly can't recommend it (just doesn't jive with my style).

Kerilstrasz
2014-02-11, 07:11 AM
Well..
my Dm is using a variant from UA for casters..

that is:
prepare a different spell in every spellslot, you can cast these spells as a sorcerer. (i mean treat prepared spells as spells known and cast them in any combination)

So my prepared spell for the day are usually like this:

LvL 0:
Prestidigitation , Mage Hand , Message , Detect Magic , "Open Slot"
LvL 1:
Enlarge Person , Benign Transposition , Grease , Color Spray , "Open Slot" , "Open Slot"
LvL2:
Bull's Strength , Invisibility , "Open Slot" , "Open Slot" , "Open Slot"
LvL3:
Mage Armor,Mass , Regroup , Snake Swiftness,Mass , "Open Slot"

"Open Slot" is used to prepare spells according to what i think i will encounter that day. The rest are 99% same all the time.

It is a dungeon campaign so "fly" is not of much use..
rest of the group has the typical overoptimized fighter, a melee combat Cleric, druid healer/summoner and a trap-monkey rogue.
Although you may say "Cleric & Druid", cleric is just going melee and doing occasional healing, and druid is just healing and occasionally summons monsters. (newer players)
So all the mumbojumbo hockuspockus falls on me..

I guess what im asking for are spells that are mandatory for Item creation and any "combat" spell that: has no save & doesn't do any kind of damage/drain or the like...

by the way, the "artificer" you mention is a class and not a Pr.C. Ofc i could be wrong.. can you provide some more info?
And how about the Wayfarer Guide dip? should i go for it?

Sudain
2014-02-11, 12:07 PM
Humm... I'm not familiar with the UA varient - but the core idea I was trying to convey was have a structured approach to picking your spells known. Allowing you to be flexible with spells you can cast is gravy.

Ah, yes the Artificer is a base class - I'm sorry for mixing that up.

There are no *required* spells for crafting items - what you need/want will depend highly upon what you are crafting so I'd start there. For examples see the cost and the associated spell(s) for the items on this page. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm

Combat spells with no save. No particular level:

Antimagic Field
Enervation
Forceful Hand
Foresight
Gaseous Form
Globe of Invulnerability
Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser
Grasping Hand
Grease
Interposing Hand
Irresistible Dance
Maze
Mirror Image
Power Word Blind
Power Word Kill
Power Word Stun
Ray of Enfeeblement
Reverse Gravity
Sleet Storm
Solid Fog
Spell Turning
Transmute Mud to Rock
Transmute Rock to Mud
Wall of Force
Wall of Iron
Wall of Stone
Waves of Exhaustion
Waves of Fatigue
Wind Wall
Wish

Spells with the teleporation sub-school for wizard in the PHB. Since it fits your character's theme. :)

Dimension Door
Teleport
Teleport Object
Teleport, Greater
Teleportation Circle
Plane Shift
Refuge
Maze
Word of Recall

I see the wayfarier guide giving 3 benefits(below). If you think they would be useful to how you play in a practical sense, go for it. I wouldn't take more than a 1 level dip personally.
Level 1: Bringing along an extra 1-3 creatures, 50% extra range at the cost of spellcasting progression
Level 2: Spellslot dedicated to a teleport spell
Level 3: Re-roll on destination