PDA

View Full Version : Inverse of a negative level: are there rules anywhere?

qwertyu63
2014-02-10, 01:19 PM
This might seem like an odd question, but are there rules for positive levels (i.e. negative levels in reverse)? Thank you in advance.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-10, 01:34 PM
In the back of MM3, there is a rule for what happens when undead are hit by energy drain, or plausibly when a living creature is hit by some kind of conjugate positive energy effect. I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but it's in the glossary. I think the first word was even "energy."

Someone else will be along shortly with the full answer. This isn't exactly what you are looking for, but I think it's as close as the rules get.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-10, 01:52 PM
This might seem like an odd question, but are there rules for positive levels (i.e. negative levels in reverse)? Thank you in advance.

The bardic song Inspire Greatness effectively grants positive levels.

Sith_Happens
2014-02-10, 02:08 PM
The MM3 and online glossary both contain the Energy Charge (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_energycharge&alpha), which is the opposite of Energy Drain and has never actually been utilized in any published material.

qwertyu63
2014-02-10, 02:37 PM
The MM3 and online glossary both contain the Energy Charge (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_energycharge&alpha), which is the opposite of Energy Drain and has never actually been utilized in any published material.

Perfect. Thank you.

Thurbane
2014-02-11, 06:14 PM
That's really interesting.

I'm tempted to homebrew a PrC or creature that gets this as an ability (with limits on levels/day, of course).

HaikenEdge
2014-02-11, 06:19 PM
So, what, it's basically a PrC for going Super Saiyan?

nedz
2014-02-11, 07:06 PM
Anyone know which monster, in MM3 presumably, has Energy charge as an attack?

Karnith
2014-02-11, 07:20 PM
To the best of my knowledge, no creature actually has Energy Charge.

Which is just as well, because it's a very, very silly ability.

Sith_Happens
2014-02-11, 07:22 PM

There is none, the ability only exists as a glossary entry.

weckar
2014-02-11, 07:24 PM
well, as far as I can see the attacking creature drains itself to do this... so it could make for an effective curse, I suppose. Or somesort of sacrificial creature, like a unicorn variant.

Vedhin
2014-02-11, 07:36 PM
As mentioned, MMIII has Energy Charge. No creature has Energy Charge, which is good because it's horribly dysfunctional and broken.
(I've already mentioned it to the Dysfunctional RAW thread.)

Thurbane
2014-02-11, 08:00 PM
Yes, it could make for an uberbuffer, unless there was some hard caps on the number of levels involved.

weckar
2014-02-11, 08:03 PM
Well, the plane of positive energy is a perfect example of "too much of a good thing"...

nedz
2014-02-11, 08:17 PM
Yes, it could make for an uberbuffer, unless there was some hard caps on the number of levels involved.

Exactly my thought — it could have made for an interesting TO build.

Sith_Happens
2014-02-11, 08:19 PM

You mean like this?

A creature may not have more positive levels than its Constitution bonus (minimum 1).

Moxieman
2014-02-13, 03:06 AM
There is only one interaction I know of for this. Energy Charge provides the definition for positive levels.

The only thing that grants positive levels is Lifesap, a level 6 Sor/Wiz necromancy spell from the Kingdom of Kalamar player's guide. It only grants them temporarily as well, with a duration of a round per level.

SiuiS
2014-02-13, 03:39 AM

There is one monster, one in an obscure source which uses energy charge. But the constitution Limits and such made it not worth the investment so I didn't record it anywhere. But it has been published and is vague and obscure.

nedz
2014-02-13, 05:24 AM
Stellar Deva Celestial (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20001101a) is close, but only has a positive energy ray.

Xag-ya are the positive energon, but does anyone have a source ?

Vedhin
2014-02-13, 10:26 AM
There is only one interaction I know of for this. Energy Charge provides the definition for positive levels.

The only thing that grants positive levels is Lifesap, a level 6 Sor/Wiz necromancy spell from the Kingdom of Kalamar player's guide. It only grants them temporarily as well, with a duration of a round per level.

Warning! Kingdoms of Kalamar material detected! Brace for imbalance!

There is one monster, one in an obscure source which uses energy charge. But the constitution Limits and such made it not worth the investment so I didn't record it anywhere. But it has been published and is vague and obscure.

If so, it it 3rd party. I've checked 1st party 3.5 for creatures with this ability, and there are none.

Stellar Deva Celestial (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20001101a) is close, but only has a positive energy ray.

Xag-ya are the positive energon, but does anyone have a source ?

Xag-ya are in Manual of the Planes (3.0), and give no positive levels.

Also, MMII has the Glimmerskin, which has a vaguely similar ability.

ericgrau
2014-02-13, 10:37 AM
You mean like this?

That's still quite a few levels. And since they remain 24 hours, you could max out a creature then heal your lost hp. Or heck, bestow them on yourself. If well coordinated you could have a party of con SAD creatures. Casters don't even need their main mental for bonus spells, only save DC, since they could get 10-15 more 9s from con. And a +10-15 to saves & skills.

Coidzor
2014-02-13, 01:06 PM

Oh, hey, this is what Frank and K were talking about with positive levels and undead and lowering their HD for purposes of using Rebuking on them in order to Command them. :smallbiggrin: I'd always wondered about that...

Vedhin
2014-02-13, 01:12 PM
Oh, hey, this is what Frank and K were talking about with positive levels and undead and lowering their HD for purposes of using Rebuking on them in order to Command them. :smallbiggrin: I'd always wondered about that...

But note that an undead has no Con score, so it can only get 1 positive level. And remember: even if your undead is destroyed by positive (or is it negative?) levels, it gets saves 24 hours later to remove them! Or something.

TuggyNE
2014-02-13, 07:27 PM
But note that an undead has no Con score, so it can only get 1 positive level.

From context, the limit is only for living creatures.

ddude987
2014-02-13, 07:54 PM
Undead react to positive levels the way nonundead react to negative levels. An undead character with negative levels at least equal to its current level is instantly destroyed
This confuses me. Did they mean "An undead character with positive levels..."?

Vedhin
2014-02-13, 08:01 PM

My advice: stop trying to understand positive levels. It only leads to headaches. I learned this the hard way.

Thurbane
2014-02-13, 08:03 PM
You mean like this?
Yes, but character can boost their Con bonus pretty high.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-13, 08:23 PM

No because an undead with "positive levels" would gain a bonuses, same as a living creature. Energy Charge causes negative levels in undead just like energy drain causes negative levels in living creatures.

TuggyNE
2014-02-13, 10:00 PM
No because an undead with "positive levels" would gain a bonuses, same as a living creature. Energy Charge causes negative levels in undead just like energy drain causes negative levels in living creatures.

That actually makes sense. Huh.