PDA

View Full Version : Influential 'people' in the planes

lorddrake
2014-02-10, 01:27 PM
In short I wanted to ask who is really influential in the planes (considering no specific settings) and no deities.

To explain it better, I'm DMing a game where the PCs have just become a embassador/diplomat for the gods who'll shortly enter in a war against the Titans (similar to Greek mythology). And they must gather allies in the material plane (the kingdom of the elves, for instance) and outside...

The ones I thought they could contact in order to try an alliance are:

Devils
Demons
Yugoloth
Dragons
Genies/Elementals (part of the fluff of the setting)
Elves/Dwarves/Kobolds/Goblinoids etc
Angels
Valkyries

Do you have any interesting suggestions for me to add from the planes out there?

Brookshw
2014-02-10, 02:04 PM
The rilmani (rhilmani?) Aren't major players but they're worth an honorable mention. Do you have angels as a place holder for the ghaele and other good factions?

lorddrake
2014-02-10, 02:15 PM
The rilmani (rhilmani?) Aren't major players but they're worth an honorable mention. Do you have angels as a place holder for the ghaele and other good factions?

To be honest I didn't really know the Rilmani, but the Ghaele is a good suggestion, thanks.

One thing I see is that for evil everything is very well defined -> Demons CE, Devils LE, Yugoloth NE

However, in the good department everything is somewhat blurry. There are angels - LG, but the other good outsiders are seemingly interested in other matters such as a particular niche. It may be my impression, though.

What other good Good factions are out there?

Vhaidara
2014-02-10, 02:15 PM
Archmages (they always matter)
Guardianals (NG animalistic outsiders, native to the Beastlands)
Archons (LG outsiders, Celestia natives)
Eladrin (CG outsiders, Ysgard natives, I believe)
Formians (ant beings from Mechanus)
Innevitables (constructs serving the ideal of law, also mechanus. may be harder to get on their side)
Modrons (another construct race from mechanus, covered in the Manual of the Planes/Planar handbook (I forget which one))
Nerra (mirror creatures from the Plane of Mirrors, covered in Fiend Folio)
Githyanki (marauders of the Astral Plane, capable warriors)
Githzerai (monastic, Limbo dwelling counterparts to the githyanki. Players will not get both, they hate each other too much)
Slaad (aside from the Githzerai, the closest thing to a power in Limbo. Alliance very unlikely.)

A few less extraplanar but still powerful
Mind Flayers (they are quite powerful)
Beholders (Again, very strong)
Yuan-Ti (mostly if they have a kingdom or some other kind of organization)

Hope this helps, I tend to get rather specific, but this covers what I can think of off the top of my head.

EDIT: Also, angels are any good, it's the other celestials that are specific goods.

lorddrake
2014-02-10, 02:26 PM
You're right. Rereading stuff I just noticed there are all kinds of flavors for angels. And I thought all of them were vanilla/good.

Brookshw
2014-02-10, 03:33 PM
You're right. Rereading stuff I just noticed there are all kinds of flavors for angels. And I thought all of them were vanilla/good.

Nah, you get the LG/NG/CG varieties with Angels being any good generally.

Nice list from keledrath. Also maybe take a look at the seelie/unseelie fey courts and the planar handbook factions (basically updates of 2e planescape). Also the original abyssal occupants, they're not plentiful but they're not demons technically, could give them their own agenda.

Emperor Tippy
2014-02-10, 06:04 PM
The Mercane, they pretty much own and run Union. That being the second or third most important city in the great wheel (Sigil being first and the City of Brass being the other).

Vhaidara
2014-02-10, 06:08 PM
Speaking of Sigil, if this campaign is high enough Power/excess of level 90, The Lady of Pain may choose to not get involved. But she may have to make the choice.

123456789blaaa
2014-02-10, 07:07 PM
As always, the latest iteration of Afroakuma's Planar Questions Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317316)is at your service. I highly recommend asking there as well.