PDA

View Full Version : Analysis Is this why Roy puts up with Elan?

cheesecake
2014-02-10, 01:29 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0496.html

Rereading the archives I came across this line. I never noticed it before. Is this why Roy puts up with Elan?

Might of been mentioned before. But I thought it was cool.

Copperdragon
2014-02-10, 01:33 PM

Rereading the archives I came across this line. I never noticed it before. Is this why Roy puts up with Elan?

Because he is a friend. Think about your friends and you'll notice how annoying or outright nasty some of their traits are. Yet, you still "put up" with them.

I doubt his baby brother maybe taking up the bard class plays a role in that. We also learned how Roy and Elan met. I also think we cannot deny Roy might use Elan as replacement for his lost brother at times but I also doubt that plays a "big" role in their relationship. It's nothing more than an undercurrent or minor side observation.

Keltest
2014-02-10, 01:34 PM
I think he puts up with Elan because hes moderately useful and a likable person. That's not to say that he absolutely isn't projecting his baby brother onto Elan, but I feel its undervaluing Roy to assume that's his only or even primary reason for keeping him around.

Socksy
2014-02-10, 01:38 PM
it is clearly because they are a kawaii yaoi!!xDDDDD

Jay R
2014-02-10, 02:04 PM
He works with the tools he's been given. Sue him. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0022.html)

Rogar Demonblud
2014-02-10, 02:18 PM
Actually, I'd flip it and say that it's one of the major problems Roy has with Elan--that's he's trying to 'take' Eric's little brother slot. But then I've gone on about this at annoying length elsewhere, and so will shut up now.

rbetieh
2014-02-10, 02:22 PM
I thought it was Elan that wanted to see Roy as a brother....then again it is Roy that tells Elan to find family among the Good....

Kish
2014-02-10, 02:25 PM
Yes, the "surrogate brother" relationship between Roy and Elan has gradually become more of a theme over the course of the comic.

I don't think Rich planned it when Nale was first introduced, but I'm pretty sure it was very much intended by the time that strip went up.

Porthos
2014-02-10, 02:28 PM
Actually, I'd flip it and say that it's one of the major problems Roy has with Elan--that's he's trying to 'take' Eric's little brother slot. But then I've gone on about this at annoying length elsewhere, and so will shut up now.

OTOH, coming to terms with Eric's death, even at a subconscious level, might be part of a side-by-side evolution of Roy's becoming friends with Elan. The other part being Roy getting over his own hangups and dealing with Elan on his own terms.

One thing I don't think is a coincidence is Roy deciding not to act like his father as much as he used to. Perhaps Roy realized he was treating Elan like Eugene was treating him. And part and parcel of not being like his father is trying to be more kind to Elan. Sure he backslides occasionally (though its becoming rarer and rarer). But I think the change in the Roy/Elan dynamic as the comic has progressed is pretty undeniable.

The major pivot point, of course, was the Bandit sidequest. But even past that point Roy wasn't hadn't truly made his peace with Elan. Perhaps his time in Celestia cemented/accelerated the process that was already underway.

The Eric/Elan dynamic isn't something I had thought of before, but it does seem to make a lot of sense. Something I'll think about more, that's for sure.

I thought it was Elan that wanted to see Roy as a brother....then again it is Roy that tells Elan to find family among the Good....

Oh, that's undeniable, IMO. Elan yearned for a Big Brother (as a substitute father figure) and Roy has fit that bill perfectly. Right down to the Big Brother teases Little Brother stereotype (Elan expects to be teased by Roy. [:elan: It's TRADITION!] It's only when it got hurtful that Elan started to get worried).

But Roy not wanting a substitute Little Brother because of the pain it might cause (plus the not-so-subtle Acts More Like Eugene Than He Wants To Admit dynamic)? Even if he didn't realize quite why he was getting annoyed (beyond the obvious :smalltongue:). Yeah, think this idea is on to something.

I mean, it's not complete. Someone as.... Free Spirited as Elan would probably always chafe someone with Roy's personality. But this does add a bit of spice to things. Perhaps even a reason why Roy never went through with dumping Elan like so many had before. If Roy ever went through with abandoning Elan, it'd be just like Eugene endangering Eric.

Def gonna think on this one a bit.

Muenster Man
2014-02-10, 03:17 PM
Definitely a good catch, not something I had thought of before. It's probably not the primary reason that Roy keeps Elan around but it does seem that Roy, at least in part, reciprocates Elan's feelings of family.

Def gonna think on this one a bit.

Agreed.

Porthos
2014-02-10, 03:35 PM
Definitely a good catch, not something I had thought of before. It's probably not the primary reason that Roy keeps Elan around but it does seem that Roy, at least in part, reciprocates Elan's feelings of family.

After reflecting upon it a bit, one of the things that is different between Elan and Roy is that Elan actually wants Roy to be his brother 'for real' while Roy is content to have Elan be a friend without it being a formal relationship.

What I could see, however, is sometime in the future when they've all settled down (well, as much as any adventurer settles down) that they would be known as "Uncle Roy" and "Uncle Elan" to their respective batch of rugrats. They would be the friend of the family who is practically family.

Yes, I'm presuming they all make it out alive. Call me an optimist. :smalltongue:

Haldir
2014-02-10, 05:00 PM
Risking your life as part of a formalized team cements a bond that is inherently fraternal. I feel that all the Order probably bond with each other that way. Possibly excepting Belkar.

DaggerPen
2014-02-10, 05:02 PM
While this is one of my favorite bits of subtext in the Roy and Elan relationship, I doubt it's the only reason Roy puts up with Elan, or even in the top 10.

If you have a link to one of these posts I would be very interested in reading it.

martianmister
2014-02-10, 06:36 PM
"Why Roy puts up with Belkar?" would be a better question.

ti'esar
2014-02-10, 08:24 PM
Yes, I'm presuming they all make it out alive. Call me an optimist. :smalltongue:

That's not much of a presumption in Elan's case.

ORione
2014-02-10, 08:36 PM

At first Roy didn't know how bad Belkar was. And hey, he's good at killing mooks. Then there was the mark of justice keeping him in line. By the time that went off, Roy was dead. Before he was resurrected, he got a prophecy saying that Belkar would die soon, so Roy decided to let fate take care of Belkar for him.

Living Oxymoron
2014-02-10, 09:46 PM

Maybe a better question, but the answer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0489.html) is not a secret for a long time ago.

Gift Jeraff
2014-02-11, 12:07 AM
What creepy timing. :eek:

DeliaP
2014-02-11, 09:35 AM

Might of been mentioned before. But I thought it was cool.

The major pivot point, of course, was the Bandit sidequest. But even past that point Roy wasn't hadn't truly made his peace with Elan. Perhaps his time in Celestia cemented/accelerated the process that was already underway.

The Eric/Elan dynamic isn't something I had thought of before, but it does seem to make a lot of sense. Something I'll think about more, that's for sure.

If you read #944 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0944.html), #496(*), and then reread

#162 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0162.html) (especially Panels 9-10)

"I wanted to help people. To protect the weak and - The weak. Oh gods. Elan!"

it's hard for me not to now read Roy's guilt over Eric as playing a role in his change of mind about Elan.

(* And then go away for a few minutes to remove that bit of sand that got in your eye somehow.)

allenw
2014-02-11, 10:07 AM

Because he's the same height as Eric? :smalltongue:

martianmister
2014-02-11, 10:19 PM
Because he's the same height as Eric? :smalltongue:

I should suspect it.

Ramien
2014-02-12, 12:23 AM

Because he's still somehow infinitely preferable to Miko.

Sir_Dr_D
2014-02-12, 12:14 PM
What creepy timing. :eek:

I was thinking the same thing. I had just read this thread. Then two hours later the next strip went up, with back story with Roy's brother. It was a very nice lead in actually. I will pretend the the OP planned it that way. :smallcool:

Loreweaver15
2014-02-12, 12:28 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I had just read this thread. Then two hours later the next strip went up, with back story with Roy's brother. It was a very nice lead in actually. I will pretend the the OP planned it that way. :smallcool:

Cheesecake is a future psychic too!?

konradknox
2014-02-13, 06:59 PM
:roach: Mmm. That's good cheesecake.

:roach: Tastes like kobold!