PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How to build a Marvel Thor character?

Ivanhoe
2014-02-10, 03:50 PM
Hi everyone,

I know, I seem to get inspired occasionally by Hollywood blockbuster movies for Fantasy characters. :smallsmile:
Recently I watched again the Thor movie (part 1) and I wondered if and how such a character like Thor could be depicted already with non-divine/non-epic rules (I think there are some stats for him in the divine rules, but not as he is shown in the movies where he definitely is not like a god, but rather like a high-level D&D character in my view).

How would you build this character "Thor"?

Some first thoughts:

Thor apparently is a non-caster, fighter-ish type. Warblade appears to also fit, but his fighting style seems so ... simple (and yet powerful).
He seems to be of an outsider race. Is there any that cannot fly by itself, but still rather powerful/humanoid in appearance? Planetouched aasimar (LA +1) comes to mind, but that is possibly too simple.
The level seems to be quite high, since he does quite remarkable feats (slaying several frost giants in short order, one-shotting a gargantuan or even colossal-sized creature etc.)
This character's main weapon, the hammer Mjolnir, appears to be the main magic item of this character. How would you depict it using as much RAW as possible? As far as I recall from the movie, the hammer allows Thor to 1) do a control winds/control weather-effect 2) cast lightning bolts 3) cause earthquakes and 4) to fly or allow Thor to fly 5) the hammer also appears to show properties of an immovable rod and 6) it heals Thor on its own. Probably I forgot some details :smallwink:

So far, I'd assume the elite array for first level, and normal wbl.

Bonus points for

building a convincing character at the lowest possible level
and also, for just using core / SRD material.

I'll try to come up with on own build lateron!

holywhippet
2014-02-10, 04:41 PM
Probably the best class for Thor would be War Hulk with the problem being that Thor isn't really large sized in the comics or movies (he is pretty big though). Still, the strength gain each level fits in with his having incredible might hence his ability to one shot giants.

His hammer isn't really what lets him control the weather I believe, it's because he is the god of thunder and lightning. Possibly Mjölnir can amplify or focus his power. The flight powers have always been a violation of the laws of physics in the comics. Basically he throws the hammer but holds on to the strap so it takes him with it. It appears a bit different in the movies though, so maybe an at will overland flight enchantment. It also is has the returning enchantment as it will generally always fly back to Thor's hand. The immovable rod part is due to the enchantment Odin laid on it in the movie and part of it's nature in the comics. Mjölnir cannot be moved by anyone who is not worthy to wield it's power no matter how strong they are.

The hammer didn't heal Thor in the movie per se. Odin sealed Thor's powers away when he banished him to Earth. It was only when he proved himself worthy that his power, and hammer, came back to him.

Roadie
2014-02-10, 04:52 PM
Thor apparently is a non-caster, fighter-ish type. Warblade appears to also fit, but his fighting style seems so ... simple (and yet powerful).

I'd peg him as a Crusader with assorted Devoted Spirit and Stone Dragon maneuvers.

Anxe
2014-02-10, 04:52 PM
I made him before using the Champion class created by our Lord and Savior, Rich Burlew. I'll dig out the exact build and post it later. I felt the Champion was the best fit because comic book Thor turns into the mortal human Donald Blake.

Roadie
2014-02-10, 04:57 PM
I made him before using the Champion class created by our Lord and Savior, Rich Burlew. I'll dig out the exact build and post it later. I felt the Champion was the best fit because comic book Thor turns into the mortal human Donald Blake.

If you're using Pathfinder, the Synthesist Summoner can also do this kind of thing reasonably well, as long as you ignore the part of the text that limits the eidolon's appearance to "translucent, living armor".

Vanitas
2014-02-10, 05:10 PM

I'm pretty sure he Thor 24/7 now. Donald Blake came back for the JMS series and then was forgotten.

Swaoeaeieu
2014-02-10, 05:19 PM
The hammer didn't heal Thor in the movie per se. Odin sealed Thor's powers away when he banished him to Earth. It was only when he proved himself worthy that his power, and hammer, came back to him.

Sealed power in a weapons. Sounds like a item familiar to me. You store exp and skillpoint in it. You lose them when the item is too far away but also regain them when you get it back.

And obviously the hammer is a +1 schocking burst amiright?

CIDE
2014-02-10, 05:26 PM
Sealed power in a weapons. Sounds like a item familiar to me. You store exp and skillpoint in it. You lose them when the item is too far away but also regain them when you get it back.

And obviously the hammer is a +1 schocking burst amiright?

Shocking burst thundering returning

holywhippet
2014-02-10, 05:31 PM
Is it really shocking burst? It doesn't usually electrocute anyone it hits that I can recall. Instead Thor can use it to call down lightning. It's more like the control weather spell only a lot faster.

Red Fel
2014-02-10, 07:05 PM
Bloodstorm Blade is a pretty solid option. Lots of throwing/returning melee weapon bloodshed, with full BAB progression, and maneuver prereqs. Shred some face.

For something closer to his mythic roots, Hammer of Moradin is nice. Full BAB, some hammer-chucking goodness. Divine casting prereqs. And the enemies are, frankly, the classic enemies of the Norse gods - giants, svartalfar, etc.

I suppose if you wanted more of the "god of thunder" vibe you could go with a re-fluffed Stormlord, using hammers instead of spears, but that's more caster-y than Thor tends to be.

Vhaidara
2014-02-10, 07:13 PM
Mjolnir would be Throwing Returning Thundering Giantbane (should actually use the ability from Arrows of Slaying) Warhammer.

As far as Thor, I feel a Warblade into Bloodstorm Blade. However, I would like to mention that I don't feel anyone most people in media can be portrayed by a single class. So I say Warblade//Fighter/Barbarian/Crusader/Paladin of Freedom. Yep, gestalt, ladies and gents.

Chronos
2014-02-10, 07:20 PM
Stone Dragon would be problematic, given that he spends a lot of time not on the ground.

Anxe
2014-02-10, 07:29 PM
Oh God. Too deep in my notes to bother finding. Anyways, that Champion build had the throwing, returning hammer in it. Wouldn't the artifact Hammer of Thunderbolts work just right for this? It also lets strength bonuses be stacked, so it matches that part of Thor as well.

Vhaidara
2014-02-10, 07:32 PM
Champion class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9623431&postcount=9)

I saw a link to it last week and it was near the top of my recent bookmarks :P