PDA

View Full Version : Characters emanating AMFs.

G.Cube
2014-02-10, 04:32 PM
You gave one of your characters, right from the point of creation, -total- magic immunity. What I mean by this is, they can never gain spells, SLAs, SUs, denied them UMD, everything, and in return, no magic effected them, both benevolent and malign.

Better idea, what if every PC emanated a 50 foot AMF, that is always on and could not be voluntarily suppressed.

Crake
2014-02-10, 04:42 PM
I think the general consensus would be that it would suck. Just because you're immune to magic, doesn't mean magic cant still indirectly affect you. Wall of stone still blocks your path just as easily, disintegrate can still make a pit under you, fog still impedes your vision, stone to mud still makes the ground underneath your feet hard to move in.

You get my point.

Overall, I'd just have to say that the benefits really don't outweigh the drawbacks. You can still be effected by a myriad of negative magical effects, but you've pretty much 100% lost access to all good magical effects.

G.Cube
2014-02-10, 04:47 PM
I think the general consensus would be that it would suck. Just because you're immune to magic, doesn't mean magic cant still indirectly affect you. Wall of stone still blocks your path just as easily, disintegrate can still make a pit under you, fog still impedes your vision, stone to mud still makes the ground underneath your feet hard to move in.

You get my point.

Overall, I'd just have to say that the benefits really don't outweigh the drawbacks. You can still be effected by a myriad of negative magical effects, but you've pretty much 100% lost access to all good magical effects.

I don't mean to sound like one of those fights where one kid goes "Times infinity!" and the other kid goes "Well times a thousand infinity!", so let's just take this -one- step further and give our theoretical character immunity to anything that comes from a spell, SLA, and the like. (Excluding creatures, but not those creatures SLAs and such.)

Alent
2014-02-10, 04:49 PM
You gave one of your characters, right from the point of creation, -total- magic immunity. What I mean by this is, they can never gain spells, SLAs, SUs, denied them UMD, everything, and in return, no magic effected them, both benevolent and malign.

Off the top of my head, I kind of think he'd be a VoP fighter but worse.

He couldn't benefit as much from ToB since those have SU abilities. He couldn't benefit from magical equipment, meaning he's basically a vow of poverty character without the magical benefits of vow of poverty.

Then the item tricks get even worse... He couldn't benefit from magical silence since he'd just be immune to it, so you couldn't give him a pebble with permanent silence on it or such... you couldn't AMZ him and have him grapple casters because freedom of movement affects the caster.

If the party teleported, he'd have to walk, effectively having permanent dimension anchor.

A BBEG could win simply by means of his astral projection from his demiplane being able to ignore this guy, since there's no risk of him ever successfully plane shifting.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-10, 04:58 PM

Define "effected".

Some example questions: What happens if this character touches a Wall of Stone? What if he stands on a floating city? Or in the area of a Reverse Gravity spell? (Remember that reverse gravity does not effect characters, just the local gravity). Or if he ate the product of a Create Food and Water spell? Or if he tried to shake hands with an Astral Projection?

HaikenEdge
2014-02-10, 05:00 PM
Or if somebody used telekinesis to drop a nonmagical mountain on the guy?

Brookshw
2014-02-10, 05:03 PM
How would you treat dr vs. Magic? Healing would suck, as would any poison ability damage. An ubercharger might do okay, especially with a flying mount. The biggest part would come down to what opponents he'd be up against.

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-10, 05:06 PM
Regardless of anything else that happened, he'd die incredibly quickly from accumulated wounds and lack of healing.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-10, 05:33 PM
Regardless of anything else that happened, he'd die incredibly quickly from accumulated wounds and lack of healing.

He could take the Troll-Blooded feat to gain regeneration, or benefit from Devoted Spirit's healing maneuvers (most of which are not magical), or simply rest to naturally recover from wounds.

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-10, 06:00 PM
or simply rest to naturally recover from wounds.

Natural healing takes too long when everybody else can be fully healed by the next day. Either he continues with the group and gets killed sooner rather than later, or he retires from adventuring life the first time he is seriously injured and realizes that he needs to take greater care of himself. Not the mention the rest of the party probably thinks he is dead weight and might just leave without him.

EDIT: This type of character would be better off as a plot-critical NPC which the players need to protect because they're the only one capable of getting the McGuffin that lies behind the wall of magical obliteration, or he's the only one who can survive the magical radiation damage long enough to do the thing that everyone's lives are depending on him doing, etc.

G.Cube
2014-02-10, 06:21 PM
Edited away, because someone suggested a better alternative I'm looking for.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-10, 06:22 PM
@G. Cube: Such questions, although difficult, are important to understanding the implications of this homebrewed magic immunity.

Also, our character had best hope that none of the ground was magically-created either, otherwise he would fall through the ground like he was inside a glitched video game. It would be a simple matter to fill a manually dug hole with magically-created material and lure him over it, or create portions of a bridge magically so he falls through.

or he retires from adventuring

Yeah, that's basically what I figure would happen unless he was a crusader or troll-blooded or something.

Vhaidara
2014-02-10, 06:24 PM
I would say bad because, as has been pointed out, enemies can still buff themselves.

For a real test of what I think you're going for, make each PC emit a 50ft radius AMF.

G.Cube
2014-02-10, 06:26 PM
I would say bad because, as has been pointed out, enemies can still buff themselves.

For a real test of what I think you're going for, make each PC emit a 50ft radius AMF.

This.... is really interesting. You're also correct, this is perhaps more of the idea I'm trying to get at.

Captnq
2014-02-10, 06:36 PM
How could he pass through a wall of stone, it's not magical.

I create the wall of stone, it now exists. If you are going with ANY magically created object, then I should point out that on Eberron, the entire planet is a dragon wrapped around another dragon. The whole planet is the by-product of magic.

So he falls through the planet and dies from suffication?

Forgotten realms was created out of nothing by magic from Ao? Same thing?

Now another question:
I use a illithid weapon graft to bind a spear that causes fireballs on impact and stab the guy. It's an extraordinary fireball, not a magical one. Does it work?

You see, at this point you are breaking the rules so bad that they no longer apply. Yeah, a great deal of effort goes into being able to poke someone with an extraordinary fireball (and I am in the blast radius, but that's besides the point.), but that effort is still not magical.

Here's the answer to your question: It requires so many exceptions to the rules that it's practically unplayable.

Chronos
2014-02-10, 07:12 PM
If you really want something like this, then just play in a world where there is no magic at all. Which probably means using some other system, because D&D really isn't suited for that.

Maginomicon
2014-02-10, 08:08 PM
What you're probably looking for is Bink (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magician_Bink).

Slipperychicken
2014-02-10, 10:08 PM
Better idea, what if every PC emanated a 50 foot AMF, that is always on and could not be voluntarily suppressed.

I doubt they'd be welcome inside the city gates once people catch on to why their spells fizzle, magic powers turn off, summons wink out, and everburning torches go out when they're near.

Also, their magic-using enemies would eventually realize they want to fly >50ft over the PCs' heads and cast Protection from Arrows, at which point almost everyone in the entire party is boned.