PDA

View Full Version : Best way to make a detective, in what is usually a very combat driven session?

killem2
2014-02-10, 07:05 PM
My DM is very much hack n slash which is fine with me, but I have this urge to play a detective.

Thoughts?

Isamu Dyson
2014-02-10, 07:36 PM
How supernatural is the setting that you play in?

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-02-10, 07:59 PM
The answer will very wildly, depending on the RPG you're playing. So that'd be helpful info. :smallsmile:

That said, I have two words for you: combat detective (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGCMfprPJoA).

The Oni
2014-02-10, 08:02 PM
If you're going Pathfinder/3.5, the Kirin Style feats let you derive combat bonuses from deduction and analysis, which would probably be in line with your boy Holmes there ^

FabulousFizban
2014-02-10, 08:53 PM
In Pathfinder I like Master of Many Styles 2/Heresy inquisitor 5

Practically untouchable, great skills, basically batman. Go with snake style and crane style. Wisdom to intimidate means you can dump cha. make sure you have full ranks in sense motive. buy some mistmail so you can stealth whenever. Miss chance, crane wing, sense motive to ac, AoO when opponents miss, combat is not a problem.

... and then you get inquisitor levels.

13,16,11,14,16,7 on a 20pt buy

Kane0
2014-02-10, 09:28 PM
Roll knowledge on every creature you come up against so you can relay information to your party. Maybe after a couple times the DM will take notice and throw you a few nice bits and pieces.

Also see if you can pick up spells and skills that help you out. Divination works wonders for the inquisitive type, and a spell to find out what you will be fighting that day can make all the difference.

Dorian Gray
2014-02-11, 10:44 PM
Read and take inspiration from the Dresden Files books. Throw in a splash of Knowledge Devotion, and put in two spoonfuls of an appropriate PrC (duelist comes to mind, but it sorta sucks). Pour it all over a base of rogue or swordsage (if you want to be the melee type), or diviner/beguiler, if you want to be more magical. Wrap in a trench coat (time period and system are irrelevant here) Stir well. Serve with ice and scotch.

Spore
2014-02-12, 01:49 AM
In Pathfinder I like Master of Many Styles 2/Heresy inquisitor 5

Agreed on the Inquisitor, disagree on everything else. :D