PDA

View Full Version : What would this be like (3.5)

gooddragon1
2014-02-10, 07:53 PM
-Ban all full BAB classes and full BAB prestige classes
-Ban all classes that can cast spells higher than 6th level
-Ban all spells higher than 6th level for opponents (if it is higher than 6th level for any class then opponents will never have access to it by SLA, casting, or other stuff (example: opponents don't get true seeing))

Mainly the first 2 but the 3rd one for niceness. What would that be like? I realize only bard, monk, and rogue are available for core but outside of core stuff can work.

Yawgmoth
2014-02-10, 07:57 PM
It would be terrible.

Kennisiou
2014-02-10, 07:59 PM
Bards and Binders and Artificers and Swordsages everywhere.

gooddragon1
2014-02-10, 07:59 PM
It would be terrible.

I like to think of it sort of like playing yugioh with the very first set of cards that came out. When monsters had like 1400 attack for 4 stars rather than 1900 attack for 4 stars.

eggynack
2014-02-10, 08:02 PM
I'm not entirely sure what you're seeking to accomplish here. It seems vaguely like you want a low power level, but banning all full BAB classes isn't exactly the way to accomplish that.

gooddragon1
2014-02-10, 08:04 PM
I'm not entirely sure what you're seeking to accomplish here. It seems vaguely like you want a low power level, but banning all full BAB classes isn't exactly the way to accomplish that.

I don't want people power attacking for full and cranking out 300 damage. Nor do I want chain gating or Summon Monster 9: Earth Elemental Edition.

eggynack
2014-02-10, 08:07 PM
I don't want people power attacking for full and cranking out 300 damage. Nor do I want chain gating or Summon Monster 9: Earth Elemental Edition.
I guess. It just seems like you're banning the best things, and also the worst things, which is reasonable, but I'd just do it directly. Maybe just make a tier three game. This restriction against sometimes beating face for a lot seems rather arbitrary.

Red Fel
2014-02-10, 08:14 PM
I guess. It just seems like you're banning the best things, and also the worst things, which is reasonable, but I'd just do it directly. Maybe just make a tier three game. This restriction against sometimes beating face for a lot seems rather arbitrary.

This. The thing is, there are a lot of full BAB classes that are utter rubbish, there are spellcasters that are crap, and even the changes you propose don't fix some of the other glaring issues in power (like tricks to break the action economy).

Just pick a tier, and call it.

Captnq
2014-02-10, 08:20 PM

Uhhh... Okay. I'll play a monk with grafts. I'll replace my arms with warforged limbs, take the extra slam attack as a feat, get a pair of extra tentacals that I'll replace with snakes (surprisingly cheap, btw), then pick up a necklace of natural weaponry where I give all my natural attacks (13 of them If I'm doing the math right.) and buy them all flying so they are all considered animated objects, then when I full attack I get like 20+ attacks a round. Who cares what my BAB is, the law of averages is on my side. I should be able to do this by level 8.

Honestly, you're worried about power attack? Of all the things to worry about, you are worried about power attack? And summon monster? Well, I'll give you that. I find summon X spells to be annoying as heck as they TOTALLY bog down combat.

The Druid in the party took Earthbound Metamagic feat and set it up so when you stepped in a square, it summoned the monster next to you. THAT square then summoned a monster that appeared next to it. THAT square... Get the idea?

With a one hour delay to trigger the first square, and with druids casting summon nature's ally as a spontaneous spell, he managed to summon forth like 40 critters by stepping in one square. Then he and his army of Extended Critters had like... 20 rounds to rush over the rise and flood down into the enemy encampment. You ever run combat for 100+ NPCs at once? Frickin' combat took all night.

I guess my point is, I think you're focusing on the wrong problem. Just pick a tier... three sounds good.

YossarianLives
2014-02-10, 08:32 PM
Why would you want to force anyone to be a monk?

Like seriously that's just cruel.

Invader
2014-02-10, 08:51 PM
Having 3/4 progression BAB isn't going to stop people from easily getting huge melee damage numbers.

Usually instead of just banning full casting classes, giving them bard casting progression is a more reasonable solution.

Kane0
2014-02-10, 09:34 PM
A gentleman's agreement won't work?

Kennisiou
2014-02-10, 10:23 PM
I also just want to reiterate that it just ignores other powerful subsystems. Binders and Swordsages are going to be really, really strong in this. Factotum is banned as a result of gaining access to level 7 SLAs, but Chameleon isn't, so if you get into Chameleon via expert/rogue/bard dipping then going with some other classes you can be absurd.

Pex
2014-02-10, 10:39 PM
If you need to ban so much the problem is not the game. The problem is you just not liking the game. Not liking the game does not equate to it being horrible. It's just not for you.

Spuddles
2014-02-10, 11:21 PM
If you need to ban so much the problem is not the game. The problem is you just not liking the game. Not liking the game does not equate to it being horrible. It's just not for you.

Maybe you just like horrible things.