PDA

View Full Version : Draconic Reaver [PF] [PEACH]

Psycho Yuffie
2014-02-10, 09:37 PM
Hit Die: d10.
Alignment: Any.

Class Skills
The draconic reaver’s class skills are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Fly (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str) and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Dragon claws
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Breath weapon 2d6, breath weapon 30ft
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Natural armor +1
4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Frightful presence
5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Draconic might, elemental claws
6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Breath weapon 3d6
7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Natural armor +2
8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Breath weapon 40ft
9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Elemental aura
10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Breath weapon 4d6, fly (poor)
11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7|Natural armor +3
12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|Keen claws
13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|Improved frightful presence
14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|Breath weapon 5d6, breath weapon 50ft
15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9|Natural armor +4
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|Devastating claws
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Dragon senses
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|Breath weapon 6d6
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|Natural armor +5
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Breath weapon 60ft, fly (average)[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the draconic reaver.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Draconic reavers are proficient with all simple weapons and light and medium armor and shields (excluding tower shields).

Dragon Claws (Ex): A draconic reaver has the lethal claws of a dragon. She gains Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack as bonus feats. Thus, increasing the damage die for unarmed strikes by 2. For example, a medium creature’s unarmed strike would increase from 1d4 to 1d6 with Improved Unarmed Strike and then to 1d8 with Improved Natural Attack. Also, all attacks done with unarmed strikes are now lethal and are considered slashing with a 19-20 critical range. A draconic reaver’s claws are considered magic weapons for overcoming damage reduction and may be enhanced like a magic weapon.

Damage die progression (in case of size) 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 6d6, 8d6, 12d6. Progression 2: 1d10, 2d8, 3d8, 4d8, 6d8, 8d8, 12d8.

Breath Weapon (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a draconic reaver gains a breath weapon based on one kind of dragon. Once this decision is made, it cannot be undone.

{table=head]Dragon|Type|Element
Black|Line|Acid
Blue|Line|Electricity
Green|Cone|Acid
Red|Cone|Fire
White|Cone|Cold
Brass|Cone|Fire
Bronze|Line|Electricity
Copper|Line|Acid
Gold|Cone|Fire
Silver|Cone|Cold[/table]

Using a breath weapon is a standard action. A draconic reaver can use her breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds. A breath weapon always starts at an intersection adjacent to the draconic reaver and extends in a direction of her choice. Breath weapons come in two shapes, lines and cones, whose areas vary with the draconic reaver’s heritage. If a breath weapon deals damage, those caught in the area can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage. The save DC against a breath weapon is 10 + 1/2 draconic reaver’s level + her Cha modifier. Saves against various breath weapons use the same DC; the type of saving throw is noted in the variety descriptions. A draconic reaver can use its breath weapon when it is grappling or being grappled.

At 2nd level, the damage the draconic reaver inflicts with her breath weapon is 2d6. This increases by 1d6 every four levels thereafter. Additionally, at 8th level and every six levels thereafter, the range of the draconic reaver’s breath weapon increases by 10 ft.

Natural Armor (Ex): A draconic reaver’s skin is tough and scale-like to the touch, but looks normal from a distance. Starting at 3rd level, she gains a +1 natural bonus to her AC. This bonus increases every four levels thereafter (7th, 11th, 15th, 19th).

Frightful Presence (Ex): Beginning at 4th level, a draconic reaver’s very presence unsettling to foes. Activating this ability is a free action that is usually part of an attack or charge. Opponents within range who witness the action may become frightened or shaken. The range is 30 feet, and the duration is the draconic reaver’s Cha modifier rounds. This ability affects only opponents with fewer Hit Dice or levels than the draconic reaver has. An affected opponent can resist the effects with a successful Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 draconic reaver’s level + Cha modifier. On a failed save, the opponent is shaken, or panicked if 4 Hit Dice or fewer. An opponent that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to that same creature’s frightful presence for 24 hours. Frightful presence is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Draconic Might (Ex): At 5th level, a draconic reaver’s combat maneuvering is just as fearsome as her draconic brethren. She now adds her Cha and Con modifier to her CMB and CMD. Also, she now adds her Cha modifier to her damage rolls with her claws.

Elemental Claws (Su): Starting at 5th level, a draconic reaver can channel energy into their claws to do an additional 1d6 of elemental damage of their dragon type. For instance, a draconic reaver with a Red dragon breath weapon will deal fire damage. This ability stacks with elemental damage enhancements. This ability may be activated or deactivated as a swift action.

Elemental Aura (Su): Beginning at 9th level, a draconic reaver may shroud herself in elemental energy as a swift action lasting for her Cha modifier rounds per day and does 1d6 of elemental damage of her dragon type.

Fly (Ex): At 10th level, a draconic reaver gains leathery dragon wings that she may use to fly at any time at her movement speed per round with poor maneuverability. At20th level, her wings grow larger and stronger. She is now capable of moving double her movement while flying with average maneuverability.

Keen Claws (Ex): Starting at 12th level, a draconic reaver gains keen to her claws, doubling her critical range. This stacks with enhancements and feats.

Improved Frightful Presence (Ex): Beginning at 13th level, a draconic reaver becomes intolerable to be around for foes. The range on her frightful presence and the duration of the effect doubles.

Devastating Claws (Ex): At 16th level, a draconic reaver’s precision with her claws reaches a brand new tier, her critical multiplier for her claws increases to ×3.

Dragon Senses (Ex): Beginning at 17th level, draconic reavers gain darkvision 120 ft. and blindsense 60 ft. They see four times as well as a human in dim light and twice as well in normal light.

JHShadon
2014-02-11, 04:18 PM
I like this idea, I'll give you my thoughts but I don't have that much Pathfinder experience although I have been reading a lot of Pathfinder stuff on this forum.

Dragon Claws (Ex): A draconic reaver has the lethal claws of a dragon. She gains Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack as bonus feats. Thus, increasing the damage die for unarmed strikes by 2. For example, a medium creature’s unarmed strike would increase from 1d4 to 1d6 with Improved Unarmed Strike and then to 1d8 with Improved Natural Attack. Also, all attacks done with unarmed strikes are now lethal and are considered slashing with a 19-20 critical range. A draconic reaver’s claws are considered magic weapons for overcoming damage reduction and may be enhanced like a magic weapon.

You have two things wrong here; Improved Unarmed Strike does not increase the damage die and Improved Natural Attack doesn't improve unarmed strikes. Also I like the idea of enhancing the natural attacks although it is a bit strange.

With the natural attack theme I suggest adding a bite attack sometime.

Breath Weapon: I like it, I'm not sure if it's too powerful. Also mentioning the range without the range increase would be a good idea.

Natural Armor (Ex): A draconic reaver’s skin is tough and scale-like to the touch, but looks normal from a distance. Starting at 3rd level, she gains a +1 natural bonus to her AC. This bonus increases every four levels thereafter (7th, 11th, 15th, 19th).

At first glance I liked the idea of this but now that I think about it, this combined with Medium Armor might be a little too powerful, I'm not sure if this should be ditched completely or toned down, or replaced with elemental resistance.

Frightful Presence: A cool ability, I took another look at Dazzling Display and it might be better for this to be a full round action.

Draconic Might: I like the Cha-to-Damage thing, but adding both Cha and Con to CMB and CMD doesn't seem like a very good idea to me, you might want to just add Cha to them.

Elemental Claws: A good damage boost, that's all I have to say about it.

Elemental Aura: Does damage to who? What sort of range does it have?

Wings: Permanent flight at level 10 doesn't sit well with me, the quickest way to get permanent flight is level 14 by taking 5 levels in one class and 9 levels in Dragon Disciple, my suggestion is to make this a level 15 ability and have the wings give a 60ft Flight Speed with average mobility.

Keen Claws: I'm pretty sure there's some unwriten Pathfinder rule about a permanent increase to crit-range that stacks with keen enhancement/feats.

Improved Frightful Presence: It's a boost, not sure if should stay or go.

Devastating Claws: I'm also not sure if this a good thing or a bad thing, sorry for my inexperience.

Dragon Senses: Neat but nothing to write home about, perhaps a less powerful version a few levels before it would be good.

No Capstone: You should give this a capstone, perhaps increasing all of the natural attack by one die and increasing the flight speed to 90ft would be a good idea, if you go with the elemental resistance route this could give immunity to the element you chose at level 2.

Overall I think this is a cool idea for a class and I like the Natural Attack focus.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-11, 06:44 PM
At first glance I liked the idea of this but now that I think about it, this combined with Medium Armor might be a little too powerful, I'm not sure if this should be ditched completely or toned down, or replaced with elemental resistance.

+5 AC? At level 19? That's a drop of water in the bucket and completely inconsequential by that point in the game. You should have been ignoring AC and stacking miss chances several levels ago.

Frightful Presence: A cool ability, I took another look at Dazzling Display and it might be better for this to be a full round action.

Frightful Presence is fine as it is.

Wings: Permanent flight at level 10 doesn't sit well with me, the quickest way to get permanent flight is level 14 by taking 5 levels in one class and 9 levels in Dragon Disciple, my suggestion is to make this a level 15 ability and have the wings give a 60ft Flight Speed with average mobility.

It's gained way too late for my tastes. Flight is something that should be coming completely online by level 5 or 6. If your GM is lenient, you can even have it at level 1 with a Strix. Don't use bad classes as the measure for a necessary game mechanics.

Dragon Senses: Neat but nothing to write home about, perhaps a less powerful version a few levels before it would be good.

I'll agree with you here and about the lack of a capstone. This is not really worth it at the level it's gotten at and you need a capstone to give a reason to keep playing this class to 20.

The Dragon
2014-02-11, 07:21 PM
It feels like you really need something to set this apart, as you seem to be lacking a core mechanic.

Take a look at the warrior classes of the core book. You can describe each of them by describing their core mechanic. The fighter has feats. The barbarian rages. The monk flurries. The paladin smites. The rogue sneak attacks. So on and so forth. The defining mechanic of the spellcasters are of course that they cast spells, except for the druid, who gets two core mechanics (spells and wildshape)

It feels like you want your core mechanic to be the claws. You seem well on the track of something that could work here. Maye you should give them free two-weapon fighting akin to the ranger?