PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Lightshow [Spoilers?]

Green Bean
2007-01-28, 05:45 AM
If :miko: does end up falling, how do you think that it'll work in the OotS-verse? Will there be a lightshow, where the gods show up and take away her powers, or a bright beam of light leave her body and shoot for the heavens? Or will there be no indication until she tries to use her paladin abilities?

Please note that the poll is assuming she's fallen. Debate about whether or not she has is probably better suited for another thread.

CrossP
2007-01-28, 06:09 AM
The lawyers might bring her a cease-and-desist note from the gods

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-28, 07:02 AM
She might not even realise it. She might use detect evil on the Linear Guild and since she has no powers she won't see anything but she might not know that she didn't use the ability.

Setra
2007-01-28, 07:45 AM

That would be funny

Iranon
2007-01-28, 08:49 AM
:miko:: Oh twelve gods, thank you for letting me to set so many things right, and allowing me to see with my own eyes that our city is free from the taint of Evil once more.

:miko:: Windstriker, I choose you!

:miko:: What? No... this can't... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Kilbia
2007-01-28, 09:00 AM
My money's on Shojo being at -8 and falling, Hinjo *orders* Miko to Lay Hands on Shojo so he can stand trial, and Miko finds she can't do it. Which will be even more amusing because Hinjo will think Miko is simply refusing to comply with a lawful order.

onasuma
2007-01-28, 09:07 AM
Shojo has been split in half, he's not just at -8. Also miko is higher ranking than hinjo so why would she follow his orders?

Serenity
2007-01-28, 09:32 AM
To quote Kreia: "What a terrible thing, to fall. But how much more terrible it is to admit it."

Miko won't have cause to realize she's fallen at least until her Smite Evil fizzles. And even then, she's not going to admit that her powers were lost because of her actions--assuredly it's some foul trick! The perfect state of mind for a shapeshifting demon to twist her thoughts...

Sage in the Playground
2007-01-28, 10:03 AM
To quote Kreia: "What a terrible thing, to fall. But how much more terrible it is to admit it."

Miko won't have cause to realize she's fallen at least until her Smite Evil fizzles. And even then, she's not going to admit that her powers were lost because of her actions--assuredly it's some foul trick! The perfect state of mind for a shapeshifting demon to twist her thoughts...

I like this theory.

Serenity
2007-01-28, 10:15 AM
Thank you!

( I feel a sudden need to play KOTOR 2 again to check that I quoted Kreia accurately...)

ltda
2007-01-28, 10:43 AM

That'd be hilarious.

Maerad of Pellinor
2007-01-28, 03:03 PM
The lawyers or Miko's refusing to admit anything....:smile:

Lord
2007-01-28, 04:50 PM
:miko:Justice is done.

Lawyer: Miko Mizaki, you have commited a Evil act that grossley violated your paladin code you therefore must by contract return all paladin abilities, to the Twelve Gods, failure to reply to this request will result in a third degree smiting.

:miko: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:belkar: Goodbye Paladin, hello fighter without bonus feats.

Aerysil
2007-01-28, 05:06 PM

A spoooooooky cease-and-desist.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-01-28, 05:51 PM
There'll just be a loud thunderclap in the background which Miko will ignore.

Setra
2007-01-28, 06:58 PM
I for one would find it more dramatic for it to happen subtly, and as you can tell this comic is very good at being dramatic.

Yzorth
2007-01-28, 09:24 PM

:smallbiggrin: DUDE! That would be AWESOME!

Yzorth
2007-01-28, 09:26 PM
But... on a more serious note. I don't think there will be any indication that she has lost her powers unless she attempts use them.

I mean, the rules never mention anything flashy or even the character intuitively realizing it.

However, if the immunity to fear thing has really messed up Miko's attitude on stuff, then it would be pretty obvious something had happened if she suddenly changed her attitude or even personality.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-28, 09:28 PM

And not at all out of character for the comic.

Setra
2007-01-28, 09:29 PM
And not at all out of character for the comic.

Though it might ruin the drama.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-28, 09:37 PM

That's the only problem. What if she went to use smite evil, found she couldn't, and then starting yelling at the 12 gods, saying "Why?"

And then the sent down the lawyers.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-28, 09:37 PM
I think she won't receive a cease-and-desist note (if at all) until she tries to pray to the gods and ask them what is wrong. ;D

The honest illusionist
2007-01-28, 09:45 PM
However, if the immunity to fear thing has really messed up Miko's attitude on stuff, then it would be pretty obvious something had happened if she suddenly changed her attitude or even personality.

I don't think that's really a Paladin thing more as much as Red Cloak playing mind games with Miko. We know Paladins can't be paralyzed with fear, but they definitely can be afraid. In 406 Hinjo himself says "Miko you're scaring me."

And don't give me the 'Hinjo is really a Shadow Dancer and not a Paladin' thing because in comic 265 it was very clearly implied that he was a Paladin. So unless he multiclassed to Shadow Dancer with the side effect of being afraid when crazy Paladin women treaten your uncle, Paladins are not truely immune from fear.

Finwe
2007-01-28, 10:20 PM
Miko has definitely fallen. The only question now, is how will she find out, and will she see that she has made a mistake, or will she feel that the gods have forsaken her?

Demented
2007-01-28, 10:25 PM

Unless she smites the lawyer.

(We at least know that lawyers are always evil, so it's thoroughly justified.)

The honest illusionist
2007-01-28, 11:07 PM
What about Celia? Isn't she training to be a lawyer?

Or Phoenix Wright? He's a good guy, and he's a lawyer too.

It's no-good prosecutors like Manfred Von Karma that give lawyers a bad name.

Setra
2007-01-29, 12:15 AM
What about Celia? Isn't she training to be a lawyer?

Or Phoenix Wright? He's a good guy, and he's a lawyer too.

It's no-good prosecutors like Manfred Von Karma that give lawyers a bad name.

And all the good Lawyers from the Law and Order series! And Daredevil!

Really Lawyers being good and bad is a sign of perspective. If you are innocent of killing someone, the prosecuter will certainly seem evil, but to the family members of the person killed, the defense attourney will seem evil, because usually if you are even brought to trail, they will automatically think you are guilty.

Shub
2007-01-29, 12:47 AM
She might not even realise it. She might use detect evil on the Linear Guild and since she has no powers she won't see anything but she might not know that she didn't use the ability.In one comic (I forget which) Detect Evil is depicted as making people look green or red depending on whether or not they're evil. That was the point of Belkar's lead sheet; it kept Miko from getting a reading one way or the other.

And I'm in the "FOUL TRICKERY!! EVIL SURROUNDS ME!!" camp. Miko will admit she was wrong right after her self-righteousness falls off.

Green Bean
2007-01-29, 12:06 PM
*looks at new comic*

Well, that seems to resolve that :smallbiggrin:

The honest illusionist
2007-01-29, 12:15 PM
Right, I forgot that OoTS was supposed to be a Cliched parody of D&D.

Justinian
2007-01-29, 01:02 PM
Voting at this point is cheating, though I would have voted No before I saw today's strip.

Adygias
2007-01-29, 01:05 PM
I'm going to vote "yes."

Twilight Jack
2007-01-29, 01:08 PM
Having read the strip, I vote "yes." ;)

The_Weirdo
2007-01-29, 01:26 PM
I feel little to no compassion for Miko, really. And you're talking to someone that likes Asian females and likes the idea of protecting and comforting them. Miko, however, got what she deserved long ago.

Excellent character, I'm thinking she'll go psycho now...

Serenity
2007-01-29, 01:42 PM
Well, it seems 70% of us were wrong. The lightshow probably makes blackguard substantially less likely.

Green Bean
2007-01-29, 01:47 PM
Heh. Seems we've got some cheaters about! :smallbiggrin:

Twilight Jack
2007-01-29, 01:49 PM
Heh. Seems we've got some cheaters about! :smallbiggrin:

I didn't mean to cheat. I just didn't find the thread until after I'd read the thing. The voting is still open, so I voted. :smallbiggrin:

Green Bean
2007-01-29, 01:55 PM
I didn't mean to cheat. I just didn't find the thread until after I'd read the thing. The voting is still open, so I voted. :smallbiggrin:

:miko: As the highest ranking paladin in the Sapphire Guard, I find you guilty of Treason....er...Cheating!!! *stabs*

The honest illusionist
2007-01-29, 04:24 PM
Baleful Disguise!

*Turns h_v's Avatar's arrow beige*

hanzo66
2007-01-29, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I would say that's a Lightshow righ there...