PDA

View Full Version : Bladebound Kensai, need some help, first time player!

Wolfsraine
2014-02-11, 01:18 AM
Hello all. A few friends and I are going to be starting up a campaign from level 1. We're all fresh and new to the game so I just wanted to get some input from some of the vets out there!

I decided to roll a Magus, the class seems pretty cool and from reading the archtypes I decided to go with a Bladebound Kensai using a Katana as my main weapon in an attempt to create a supernatural samurai I guess :smallsmile:

Anywho, we met up the other night to roll our stats and this is what I ended up with:

16, 17, 15, 13, 12, 10. We did the roll 4d6 and eliminate the lowest roll method. Haven't yet determined which race I will be, was leaning towards Tiefling or Half-Elven.

So here's what I've come up with so far trying to figure out feats and magus arcana, please bare with me as this is my first time doing this so my formatting is probably horrendous!

1. Extra Arcane Pool(Normal Feat), Spell Combat, Canny Defense (+1 int to AC/magus level), Bonus Feat: Exotic weapon proficiency Katana, Bonus Feat: Weapon Focus Katana
2. Spellstrike
3. Magus Arcana (Black Blade), (Power Attack)Normal Feat, Alertness (Blackblade), Telepathy (Blackblade), Unbreakable (Blackblade)
4. Perfect Strike
5. Feat, Intensify Spell (Combat, Item Creation, Metamagic), Energy Attunement(Blackblade)
6. Magus Arcana
7. Weapon Spec(Normal Feat), Fighter Training (Magus level - 3 = Fighter level), Iajitsu
9. Feat, Magus Arcana, Teleport Blade (Blackblade)
11.Feat, Bonus Feat (Combat, Item Creation, Metamagic), Superior Reflexes
12.Magus Arcana
13.Feat, Iajutsu Focus, Transfer Arcana (Blackblade)
15.Feat, Magus Arcana
17.Feat, Bonus Feat (Combat, Item Creation, Metamagic), Spell Defense (Blackblade)
18.Magus Arcana
19.Feat, Iajutsu Master, Lifedrinker (Blackblade)
20.Weapon Mastery

There are several feats missing and I'm sure some of the ones I chose are probably not optimal. I've read a bunch of builds and guides, however I'm still missing quite a few feats. I expect us to get to level 20 at some point barring any horrible unrecoverable deaths.

The rest of the group is as follows: Cleric, Gunslinger, Monk and a Tank type(I think he's going to go Paladin, not sure though)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Wolfsraine
2014-02-11, 01:55 PM
Anyone at all? Any advice would be appreciated.

kbpb90
2014-02-19, 01:13 PM
Honestly if ur doing the kensai prc, don't go caster, take the fighter variant kensai dragon mag 310, gives you what you need to get kensai prc, choose the one from complete warrior, and take the ancestral relic feat, by level 20 your weapon will be at least a +23 enhancement equivalent weapon, it will be a monster

rockdeworld
2014-02-19, 01:21 PM
I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about PF, not 3.5.

I don't know much about the Kensai, so I'll just leave this link here: Walter’s Guide to the Magus (https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1DB6sOfbAzFmKVPgcyLWipTVqvWFjfDSv6v_YiGQb5 Yw&pli=1)

Just Ctrl+F search for Kensai, and you'll get some tips. It's especially good for first-time players.