PDA

View Full Version : Personal Issue: problem with a GM

macsen
2014-02-11, 01:31 AM
Firstly, all around apologies if this thread is out of order or misplaced, but I not thoroughly versed in this forum yet, or forums in general, but I am guessing that interpersonal relationships are a topic on which we can ask for advice.

I am currently in a world of darkness campaign with a GM my roommate found through an online ad. We all got along well and have known each other for nearly a year now. I met the group through my roommate, so he gamed with them for a little while before he brought me on. I call him my roommate because he is my best friend, and is always welcome at my apartment, and even has a key to pop in whenever he wants, but he moved out about a month ago.

This is important because my apartment is the best venue for our gaming. The GM,took offense on facebook to a discussion my roommate engaged in. He (in my opinion) feigned offense at a comment my roommate made and demanded an apology for supposed bigotry towards Christian white males (despite my roommate being all three of those himself).

The main point of posting is this; The GM dis-invited my roommate from future games. After informing the GM that he cannot dis-invite my own best friend from my own apartment, he moved the game to his previous location, a less desirable office building, and expected me to attend, thinking he fixed my conflict of interest.

Does the GM have the ability to dis-invite people from a playgroup? does their authority extend to the nature of the playgroup or just the game itself? Is such decisions exercised by the GM not an issue left to democracy? The GM is demanding an apology full stop, and is refusing to meet my roommate in person unless said apology is the pretext of the meeting. How do I deal with a GM who is basically holding the keys to whether or not I game period?

unbeliever536
2014-02-11, 01:59 AM
This question more properly belongs on the General Role Playing Games subforum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30). You can request to a mod that it be moved by reporting your OP.

To your specific question, when someone says "I don't want to be your friend any more" to your best friend, how you respond is up to you. You can't force someone to keep interacting with people they don't like. In this situation, that gives the GM the power, which can be unfortunate. If someone else steps up, you could see if the other players are willing to start a game without the GM instead of dropping your friend, but otherwise there isn't really a good way out. Whatever the case, your only option at this point is to try to resolve things between the two or find a new GM.

OzymandiasX
2014-02-11, 10:28 AM
Does the GM have the ability to dis-invite people from a playgroup?Yes, unless you have some sort of other agreement, a GM can select the players that play in his game.

How do I deal with a GM who is basically holding the keys to whether or not I game period?If this GM is being unreasonable or an ass, you are welcome to also drop out of the game and start a new game with your roommate... And if a majority of the players in your group think your GM was being unreasonable, then see if they want to join you. (If they're the GM's buds, maybe find a local gaming shop and look for other games to join. heh)