PDA

View Full Version : Guessing as right as Thors rain...

Truffles
2014-02-11, 02:21 AM
Durkons changed so much, the main example i can point out is his use of language and fighting style in #907 and #908
... furthermore, he is now clearly evil due to his inflict as opposed to cure wounds.

How do you think this will effect the next dungeon?
How do you suspect the oracles prophecy will be fulfilled? How much death and destruction are we talking here?
Will he be around? Longer then Belkar? Will he help in the final fight against Xykon? What about Redcloaks domination....
Do you think he will make the sequel? (I dont)

Domino Quartz
2014-02-11, 03:23 AM
Um...you miscorrected yourself.

RadagastTheBrow
2014-02-11, 10:15 AM
Kraagor's Dungeon is supposed to be filled with the toughest monsters around, yes? I think the next book will analyze and discuss what makes a monster a monster.

Why, for all his goals, Redcloak is still a monster, but Xykon's bigger;

Why, sadly, Durkon is a monster now;

How what V did was monstrous, but V still has a choice on what to be from here;

How Belkar still has that choice, but is unlikely to choose otherwise;

And how, ultimately, we learn what the Monster in the Darkness isn't: a Monster.

BossMuro
2014-02-11, 10:31 AM
Technically, the inflict spells could also point to a neutral cleric of a neutral or evil god. Not saying that's what's going on, of course. Durk's made it pretty clear he's on the deep end of the alignment spectrum.

I think he's honest in his claim that he wants to help, but issues will come up anyways on account of him being, well, an evil monster. I can see him trying to vamp the party on the idea that they'd be stronger than before, and thus more likely to save the world. Belkar, especially would be much more reliable as a thrall.

Skorj
2014-02-12, 03:08 AM
I think he has already begun deeply deceiving the rest of the party, appearing to go along with them but really just leading them on as part of his evil scheme. I eagerly anticipate that reveal.

BaronOfHell
2014-02-12, 03:29 AM
In my opinion, Durkon often seemed more lawful than good, so I think the differences will build up subtlety until some kind of climax.

It's cool to think that a big deal of the IFCC is that they're working together, despite alignments, but the same is true for the order.

If one assumes V is currently listed as Evil (or at least would currently be headed towards the "lower" planes), and if Haley still perceives herself as more Neutral than Good, I wonder if it may create an impression of the Order being tended more towards evil than good, despite having a lawful good leader (who's just a big dumb fighter :P). Also the Order has more chaotic than non-chaotic members.

If someone were to assume the order has always been like it is now, one could question Roy's ability to hire proper team mates. Though I suppose one could actually already do that since the very first book.

ufo
2014-02-12, 04:19 AM
Kraagor's Dungeon is supposed to be filled with the toughest monsters around, yes? I think the next book will analyze and discuss what makes a monster a monster.

And how, ultimately, we learn what the Monster in the Darkness isn't: a Monster.

Wow, you just got me totally hyped about the next book. I hope you're right.

Domino Quartz
2014-02-12, 05:54 PM
Also the Order has more chaotic than non-chaotic members.

I count: 2 Lawful members, 1 Neutral member (V is TN by Word of The Giant), and 3 Chaotic members. That makes: 3 Chaotic, 3 Non-chaotic. Though, if you meant to say that there are more Chaotic members than Lawful members, you'd be correct. Also, the point where Haley called herself "Good-ish" was a long time ago, and The Giant has basically stated that Haley, as she is, fits into CG; it's her personal insecurities that make her think otherwise. V is TN by Word of The Giant (whether V tends towards evil currently is a matter of much debate). I agree with your first point, though.

CaDzilla
2014-02-12, 06:12 PM
Durkon's been known to make half-truths before. Considering that Thor doesn't use rain correctly... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0353.html)

Keltest
2014-02-12, 06:17 PM
Durkon's been known to make half-truths before. Considering that Thor doesn't use rain correctly... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0353.html)

Alternatively, being Thor, he ALWAYS rains correctly.

eilandesq
2014-02-12, 06:18 PM
I count: 2 Lawful members, 1 Neutral member (V is TN by Word of The Giant), and 3 Chaotic members. That makes: 3 Chaotic, 3 Non-chaotic. Though, if you meant to say that there are more Chaotic members than Lawful members, you'd be correct. Also, the point where Haley called herself "Good-ish" was a long time ago, and The Giant has basically stated that Haley, as she is, fits into CG; it's her personal insecurities that make her think otherwise. V is TN by Word of The Giant (whether V tends towards evil currently is a matter of much debate). I agree with your first point, though.

Arguably, the group has near perfect symmetry now:

Roy--LG
Elan--CG
Haley--"chaotic good. . .ish!" (by implication either CG with strong neutral tendencies, or CN with strong good tendencies)
V--true neutral, but with recent actions nudging him/her in the direction of evil (but trying to struggle back) and arguably chaos
Durkula--LE
Belkar--CE

So, something of a bias towards chaos (which is no surprise to anyone following the adventures of this group, in spite of Roy's best efforts), but basically balanced in good/evil terms.

esotErik
2014-02-12, 11:39 PM

I, also, think this sounds really great as the focus of the next book. Complete with a title that riffs on a classic quote about monsters...

RadagastTheBrow
2014-02-13, 05:17 PM
I, also, think this sounds really great as the focus of the next book. Complete with a title that riffs on a classic quote about monsters...

Actually, if the book is as Dwarftastic as many predict, Sticks and Stones could be a good one. Alternatively, it may be better to save that pun for the book leading to Xykon's final confrontation. "...May Break My Bones," after all.

runeghost
2014-02-13, 05:52 PM
I think he has already begun deeply deceiving the rest of the party, appearing to go along with them but really just leading them on as part of his evil scheme. I eagerly anticipate that reveal.

I agree. I was wondering up until vampire Durkon made the comment the OP used to title this post. "Right as Thor's rain" indeed. Durkon isn't worshipping Thor anymore. I suppose it could be some sort of held-over verbal tic from pre-vamp to post-vamp Durkon, but when I read it my first thought was that vampire Durkon is trying to put the party at ease about his new state. And given that he's certainly evil now, that implies to me that he's up to no good.

Keltest
2014-02-13, 06:00 PM
I agree. I was wondering up until vampire Durkon made the comment the OP used to title this post. "Right as Thor's rain" indeed. Durkon isn't worshipping Thor anymore. I suppose it could be some sort of held-over verbal tic from pre-vamp to post-vamp Durkon, but when I read it my first thought was that vampire Durkon is trying to put the party at ease about his new state. And given that he's certainly evil now, that implies to me that he's up to no good.

Its never actually been stated that he does not worship Thor anymore. He no longer gains clerical spells from him, but that doesn't mean he cannot venerate him as a deity.

Furthermore, its been pointed out numerous times that hes literally been a vampire for hours at the most, and that "evil" does not mean "backstabber".