PDA

View Full Version : Use Magic Device

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-28, 09:03 AM
If my 12th level Warlock is using Use Magic Device to activate a scroll, does he still have to be the same caster level as the scroll's CL or can he use any scroll, so long as he makes the DC?

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-01-28, 10:11 AM
Any scroll may be used, as long as you get the DC.

A question to add to your question: It seems on a really good roll when using a scroll, a character can get a huge bonus to caster level, and make the spell very powerful. Is it true?

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-28, 10:12 AM
Any scroll may be used, as long as you get the DC.

A question to add to your question: It seems on a really good roll when using a scroll, a character can get a huge bonus to caster level, and make the spell very powerful. Is it true?

Not at all! Scrolls use their own caster level. Only staves use their user's caster level.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-01-28, 10:49 AM
Not at all! Scrolls use their own caster level. Only staves use their user's caster level.
I believe die is referring to the mishap chance from using a scroll with too high a caster level.

Well, the DC to use a scroll is already set by the scroll's caster level, so I assume that the "Use a Scroll" feature of Use Magic Device would count for emulating an appropriate caster level.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-28, 11:20 AM

This guy, who I quoted, wasn't.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-01-28, 12:07 PM
This guy, who I quoted, wasn't.
Indeed.

Uh, yeah, just an oversight on my part.

Move along. :smallredface:

I_Got_This_Name
2007-01-29, 12:43 AM
You use the "Use a Wand" line, not the "Emulate Class Feature" line, for Staffs, and the "Use a Wand" line doesn't change your caster level.

Darkshade
2007-01-29, 01:09 AM
I believe die is referring to the mishap chance from using a scroll with too high a caster level.

Well, the DC to use a scroll is already set by the scroll's caster level, so I assume that the "Use a Scroll" feature of Use Magic Device would count for emulating an appropriate caster level.

indeed it does and if you look back at 3.0 it was DC 20 but you would subtract 20 from your result and that would be your effective caster level for the scroll then you would have to roll to see if you avoided a mishap if your caster level was not high enough.

for 3.5 they just simplified it to DC 20 + caster level.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-01-29, 11:40 AM
You use the "Use a Wand" line, not the "Emulate Class Feature" line, for Staffs, and the "Use a Wand" line doesn't change your caster level.
And then you'd use the staff's caster level, just as if you were a wizard with a CL lower than the staff's.

I believe you could use "Emulate Class Feature" to emulate a higher caster level and get a bigger bang out of the staff, though...

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-29, 11:41 AM
And then you'd use the staff's caster level, just as if you were a wizard with a CL lower than the staff's.

I believe you could use "Emulate Class Feature" to emulate a higher caster level and get a bigger bang out of the staff, though...

There's nothing stopping you.