PDA

View Full Version : Belkar has a thing for Mr. Scruffy

Jibar
2007-01-28, 09:40 AM
You ever noticed how much Belkar plays with Mr. Scruffy? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0405.html)
I dunno if it's animal empathy, or just a general like for the cat, but whenever they're with Shojo, he seems to be playing with Mr. Scruffy. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0379.html)
It also begs the question where he got the yarn from...

vvill
2007-01-28, 02:19 PM
someone needs to take care of Mr. Scruffy now and Belkar has always had the animal companion space open.

nonsens
2007-01-28, 02:26 PM
Belkar and Mr. Scruffy share the same level of intelligence :smallbiggrin:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-28, 02:33 PM

No, Belkar isn't stupid and animals have high wisdom.

Green Bean
2007-01-28, 02:34 PM
Belkar has a thing for Mr. Scruffy

That sound so dirty :smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-28, 02:37 PM
Maybe Belkar just likes animals? He has Wild Empathy, after all, as well as Ride and probably Handle Animal.

onasuma
2007-01-28, 03:05 PM
Yay potential for a cat to join oots!

Celisasu
2007-01-28, 05:29 PM
Mr. Scruffy has paladins cleaning his litter box. Of course Belkar likes Mr. Scruffy.

ikanreed
2007-01-28, 08:52 PM
Animal companions rely on the animal friendship spell(at least they did in 3.0). Belkar aparently has too little wisdom to cast ranger spells. He can't get an animal companion.

Brickwall
2007-01-28, 08:56 PM
Belkar may actually like animals. Ever think of that? He seems to have no problem with ones who do not attack him, and Mr. Scruffy is cute. Also, "hey, lemmings are cute".

Is it really so hard to believe that Belkar's character has SOMETHING to do with his class? Yeesh.

Kalir
2007-01-28, 09:12 PM
Aminal companions are gained at 4th level of Ranger in 3.5, as I recall, so he could take on Mr. Scruffy as a companion if he wished.

And somehow I'm reminded of the whole "Hitler was nice to animals" thing.

The honest illusionist
2007-01-28, 09:15 PM
You know, according to V, Belkar's proto-brain only has two settings.

...And I don't think Belkar hates Mr. Scruffy.

Setra
2007-01-28, 09:15 PM

I don't think Belkar hates Mr. Scruffy.

Belkar IS evil, that isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-28, 09:17 PM

Mr. Scruffy says you owe him an apology.

Is it really so hard to believe that Belkar's character has SOMETHING to do with his class? Yeesh.

Yes. :smalltongue:

And somehow I'm reminded of the whole "Hitler was nice to animals" thing.

But Belkar is Chaotic Evil. I'd say Hitler was Lawful Evil. Maybe Neutral Evil.

Aquaseafoam
2007-01-28, 09:44 PM
He could use Mr. Scruffy to kill commoners.

Angela Christine
2007-01-28, 10:13 PM
He could use Mr. Scruffy to kill commoners.

Excellent. Take that, Mark of Justice! Once Mr. Scruffy takes them out, Belkar is free to harvest their kidneys.

teratorn
2007-01-28, 10:19 PM
Excellent. Take that, Mark of Justice! Once Mr. Scruffy takes them out, Belkar is free to harvest their kidneys.

Or he could train Mr. Scruffy to harvest kidneys! Roy never lets Belkar do that, and all those kidneys going to waste is a shame.

Rama_Lei
2007-01-28, 10:20 PM
Well, think about it. Shojo's dead, Miko's crazy, Hinjo's too honest to rule through Mr. Scruffy, so who will take him in? Our favorite tracker (under 4 feet tall)! And I can see some great comedy potential, with Mr Scruffy and blackwing

The honest illusionist
2007-01-28, 10:27 PM
Belkar IS evil, that isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

I wouldn't say that's evil. Slightly unsettling, but certainly not evil.

Demented
2007-01-28, 10:29 PM
If V ever had a reason to love Belkar, it'd be the protection from Blackwing offered by Mr. Scruffy. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0178.html)

Then again Mr Scruffy could be too old to hold a claw against Blackwing.
Though, we know how badly familiars tend to fare in combat.

MReav
2007-01-28, 10:34 PM

...And I don't think Belkar hates Mr. Scruffy.

Actually, V's analysis referred to people, not animals.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html

teratorn
2007-01-28, 10:35 PM
If V ever had a reason to love Belkar, it'd be the protection from Blackwing offered by Mr. Scruffy. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0178.html)

V would be dead meat. My cat used to hunt lizards and all sort of small creatures. Whenever he found its way inside my bedroom he would just drop them by my bed. Ah, the joys of waking kissing a huge dead snake.

baerdith
2007-01-28, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't say that's evil. Slightly unsettling, but certainly not evil.

Isn't that one of Belkar's feats? "Craft Unsettling Image?"

It would be nice to see Belkar get the cat.

Yes, I'm a cat person!

The honest illusionist
2007-01-28, 11:13 PM
Actually, V's analysis referred to people, not animals.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html

Define people in a D&D setting. Assuming Mr. Scruffy has an intelligence of 3 or greater (or was it wisdom) he's at least self aware.

Edit: Baerdith, are you sure you didn't take ranks in that feat too?

the_tick_rules
2007-01-28, 11:35 PM
belkar may be a sociopath, but there's no reason he can't like cats.

skinkatlarge
2007-01-28, 11:46 PM
While I think I would like to see Belkar with Mr. Scruffy, just to see how he interacts with it, I'm not sure a pampered palacecat like Mr. Scruffy would take to the rigors of adventuring life - no matter how many kidneys are involved. And it's hard to picture Belkar changing a litterbox.

Mr._Blinky
2007-01-29, 01:01 AM
Well, at least Mr. Scruffy would have a steady supply of liver.:smallsmile:

Setra
2007-01-29, 01:06 AM
Well, at least Mr. Scruffy would have a steady supply of liver.:smallsmile:

Well maybe not liver, but Kidneys

Angela Christine
2007-01-29, 02:32 AM
While I think I would like to see Belkar with Mr. Scruffy, just to see how he interacts with it, I'm not sure a pampered palacecat like Mr. Scruffy would take to the rigors of adventuring life - no matter how many kidneys are involved. And it's hard to picture Belkar changing a litterbox.

If the Baldur's Gate series taught me anything, it's that small animals love being hauled around in a backpack. :smallsmile: So the rigors of the road shouldn't be a big problem, as long as the group can manage to carry another 10 pounds without becoming encumbered.

The litter box is even less of a problem: You only need a litter box if you live indoors. Mr. Scruffy would probably enjoy the opportunity to dig in real dirt, as the twelve gods intended. And when they stay in an inn . . . well, I think Belkar would enjoy leaving a surprise for the maid. :smallyuk: He -is- evil.

V Junior
2007-01-29, 04:49 AM
Qddddd.

That is wrong on SO MANY LEVELS! If Mr. Scruffy was a person... remember 'The Event'? I'm now gonna douse my head in acid.

Adygias
2007-01-29, 08:49 AM
belkar may be a sociopath, but there's no reason he can't like cats.

Isn't it a staple of the genre that sociopaths have an affinity with cats?

archmagus
2007-01-29, 08:59 AM
somewhere in this forum, there was a conspiracy theory stating that Belkar was in fact a werewolf. How would that fit in the picture? :smallsmile:

And also, my first post... Hello world!

Setra
2007-01-29, 09:08 AM
somewhere in this forum, there was a conspiracy theory stating that Belkar was in fact a werewolf. How would that fit in the picture? :smallsmile:

And also, my first post... Hello world!

Hi, you better flee from this board, before they get you.

Also, Belkar may actually be a Were-Cat.

Purre
2007-01-29, 09:25 AM
No. Belkar is a Were-Halfling. That is, he's a Halfling that changes to a Halfling every full moon.

Green Bean
2007-01-29, 11:07 AM
No. Belkar is a Were-Halfling. That is, he's a Halfling that changes to a Halfling every full moon.

That's so crazy it has to be true!!!

The honest illusionist
2007-01-29, 11:10 AM
I hope Belkar doesn't bite the cat then.

*a misshapen Mr. Scruffy starts singing showtunes*

Now this is disturbing...