PDA

View Full Version : Awesome things DMs have let you do

Vhaidara
2014-02-11, 12:07 PM
I've got a couple, but from my latest character (a frost mage):

Add Ice Skate to the Sor/Wiz spell list
Allow me to place Path of Frost over its duration
Skate on it, Frozone style.
Specifically, I case Ice Skate on our half-minotaur, climbed on his shoulders, and gave him a road. We calculated he was going 45mph.

zephyrkinetic
2014-02-11, 12:12 PM
I once played a Duergar Two-weapon fighter build. (This was literally my first character, so it was laughably awful, but nevermind).
He let me start with Ambidexterity, in trade for my ability to ever effectively use a shield.
Later, as I had a bunch of charge-related items (Rhino Hide, lots of feats, etc), he let me create a feat called "Scissors Charge" where I could apply charging bonuses to both of my axes. Which was awesome.

KnotKnormal
2014-02-11, 12:18 PM
Due to my character being on the wrong side of interrogations far too often, My DM allowed me to take ranks in Perform (Torture) based on what has been applied to my character. This proved valuable when we captured the BBEG's second in command, I even managed to turn him into a traitor to his master.

MrNobody
2014-02-11, 12:26 PM
My DM let me adapt sacrifice rules from Vile Darkness to my LN cleric/necromancer: we used the same set of rules, except i offered valuable items or other things instead of living people.

This came very useful during a huge battle in which our army was fighting against an undead one. The morning of the battle i summoned all the soldiers and put up a sacrificial rite, in the end of which i cut off my left arm offering to my deity.
With an huge bonus on my roll, i got the equivalent of a miracle and a Marut was called on the battlefield and started chasing directly the undead general, that was forced to teleport away. Epic moment!!

BWR
2014-02-11, 12:30 PM
We used two Burning Hands to start an avalanche that took half the mountainside and the dozen ogres that were following us.
Yes, we did properly secure ourselves before toding this so we wouldn't be caught up in it.

Kyouhen
2014-02-11, 12:39 PM
Oh dear gods where to start...

We were allowed to use the Peasant Rail Gun to kill a high level wizard. (We somehow ended up with the perfect conditions to do it, including being in a demiplane that could be shaped according to our will (allowing us to turn off physics and summon a few thousand peasants) as well as having a rock that could only be altered by the will of a god to use as ammo)

We were allowed to ascend to godhood via Wild Magic. (Was an accident we swear)

Was allowed to kill a god via Wild Magic (That was intentional)

Red Fel
2014-02-11, 01:18 PM
I had a DM who allowed certain members of our party (who passed a stupidly transparent morality test) to be attuned to a mithal. Within that area, we got a bunch of useful powers, including a combination of Freedom of Movement and flight with perfect maneuverability. Complete with air brakes. Those would come in useful.

We get attacked by our Linear Guild opposites. My character is fighting a Duergar PsyWar. The Duergar zapped my character with Telekinetic Sphere (somehow he had that), and lifted my character up into the air, with the intent to drop him like a rock.

At this point I asked if I was still within the mithal.

End result, I float in the air for a moment, wave at the soon-to-be-ex-Duergar, then proceed to draw both swords (I dual-wielded, sue me) and plunge at top speed towards his dwarven skull, blades first.

And I had Duergar drumsticks for dinner.

That DM may have been a railroading jerk who at one point actually tried to strangle me, but that was an awesome scene.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-11, 01:23 PM
My DM let me use fighter ACFs on a feat rogue, which meant my feat rogue could dungeoncrash. I took a bunch of mobility feats and skill tricks and basically turned into a judo ninja. Still one of my favorite characters.

Know(Nothing)
2014-02-11, 03:51 PM
We introduced Hero Points some time ago, and since then we've come up with some awesome solutions to problems.

We were level 1, I was a Dread Necro, and I had essentially two rogues with me. We were wandering through the aftermath of a huge magical explosion that both smashed the city and imbued dozens of random objects with Animate Object. We were attacked by a cart, and having pretty much only arrows to plink at it, we were getting nowhere. The cart was stupid, at least, so it would just bash away at the entrance to a narrow alley when it saw us since it couldn't fit through. Having no other relevant spells or attacks to harm this thing, I tore up some dry rags, tied them around a piece of rubble, and lit it, then dropped it into the interior of the cart.

It burned down, and even though I wrecked some loot, we could at least keep moving.

Defiled Cross
2014-02-11, 04:04 PM
Nothing as awesome as what is outlined in the posts above, I'm afraid.

When I was in High School, our DM at the time allowed me and a friend to create a "hapless duo" comprised of a Half-Orc Rogue and a Halfling Barbarian.

Needless to say, we were always caught..

..and barely able to complete the subsequent escape.

:smalltongue:

Delwugor
2014-02-11, 04:13 PM
The GM in Rise of the Runelord campaign, gives out these cards which have a terms like Charm and a series of effects they can be used for. Usually they just add a bit of fun and maybe a small advantage, unless in the wrong hands ... like mine.

We enter an underground temple and face a quasit performing a ritual over some well. Get into combat, my character being a Conversion Inquisitor of Desna (yeah it's weird and fun) start intimidating and casts Doom, basically debuffing and demoralizing the quasit.
Still having a tough time, I look over and there is the well and figure to do something with it for further demoralizing. I look at the card and it say Destruction and specifically says it can be used against a minor artifact. I walk over and tell the GM that I make a prayer to Desna to destroy the well. Show him the card and he just gives me one of those "Oh s**t" looks, but still allows it. Boom there goes the well and the quasit becomes so demoralized that it stops fighting and dives into the pool, we end up drowning it.

Didn't find out until later just what we accomplished and what the GM allowed to happen from the use of those cards.

Ansem
2014-02-11, 04:24 PM
Become the chosen one and leader of a Kobold tribe without leadership.

Fortinbro
2014-02-11, 04:27 PM
As a dread necromancer I got decapitated by a vorpal weapon. I was allowed to stay alive for one round because I argued that IRL decapitation isn't always instant death. I then used my incorporeal undead familiar to cast trap the soul, keeping me from passing on until I could claim a new body as host.

incarnate236
2014-02-11, 05:10 PM
Party member was a Werewolf and the Halfling Fighter with Mounted Combat feats threw a saddle on the wolf and rode him into combat.

Meth In a Mine
2014-02-12, 12:21 AM
My DM all we me to take shield mastery at level 6, allowing me to create a dual-shield crowd pusher (hooray, two different shield bash feats!)
Definitely one of my best character concepts.