PDA

View Full Version : From Lich to Demilich

Hobbo Jim
2014-02-11, 12:16 PM
There are very layed out templates for both Lich and Demilich, however (for 3.5) I have found no process for becoming a demilich. There was something that said every year you have a 1% chance of ascending, and upon doing so you destroy your phylactery, but this can't overlap because one of the demilich's abilities is that all magic items near your phylactery give you their bonus. If you guys have found anything please let me know :) or if there isn't ideas on how to become one would be welcomed as well.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-11, 12:21 PM
I think it's just an epic spell. Split phylactery unless I am remembering wrong.

Doxkid
2014-02-11, 02:52 PM
There is no official 3.5 material for it. I suggest looking to older editions or homebrew.

OldTrees1
2014-02-11, 04:02 PM
There was something that said every year you have a 1% chance of ascending

Are you sure you are not confusing it with Evolved Undead (Every century: 1% chance per century since last evolution + 1% chance per evolution)?

The process of becoming a demilich can be undertaken only by a lich acting of its own free will. The demilich retains all class abilities it had as a lich.

Creating Soul Gems
Liches have phylacteries that allow them to reappear 1d10 days after their apparent death, as do demiliches. Demiliches also have eight soul gems, each of which acts like a phylactery in its own right. -snip- The lich must be a sorcerer, wizard, or cleric of at least 21st level.

So a necromancer studies until they get caster level 11. They then craft a Phylactery to become a Lich. They continue to study until they get caster level 21. Then they craft 8 soul gems and incorporate them into their body to become a Demilich.

PraxisVetli
2014-02-11, 07:36 PM
Aumvor's Fragmented Phylacter, CoR I think?
afb atm

Captnq
2014-02-11, 07:52 PM
I just played it that Liches eventually "decayed" into demi-liches. The Gemstones were part of the crystalization process. Then they just sit around as a pile of bones and vaporize anything dumb enough to get too close.

Except for that one time I hit the players with a swarm of demi-liches.

Good times, good times...

TuggyNE
2014-02-11, 11:46 PM
I just played it that Liches eventually "decayed" into demi-liches. The Gemstones were part of the crystalization process. Then they just sit around as a pile of bones and vaporize anything dumb enough to get too close.

Except for that one time I hit the players with a swarm of demi-liches.

Good times, good times...

I know of another poster that had a set of 211 demiliches acting in unison, each made out of different bones. It took at least two TPKs before they realized this was not actually a lich, and something like a dozen TPKs before they managed to permanently kill more than one or two of them.

Xar Zarath
2014-02-11, 11:55 PM
I know of another poster that had a set of 211 demiliches acting in unison, each made out of different bones. It took at least two TPKs before they realized this was not actually a lich, and something like a dozen TPKs before they managed to permanently kill more than one or two of them.

Ah, good old demilich Voltron!:smallsmile:

Dusk Eclipse
2014-02-12, 12:01 AM

I'm pretty sure it was Pai'o'Dice's campaign. Man I wish I had a group where that kind of stuff was possible (my last group liked to finish games at around level 14-ish).

I find very strange that super-powered liches are called Demi-lich, I mean demi means half.

Gemini476
2014-02-12, 12:35 AM
I'm pretty sure it was Pai'o'Dice's campaign. Man I wish I had a group where that kind of stuff was possible (my last group liked to finish games at around level 14-ish).

I find very strange that super-powered liches are called Demi-lich, I mean demi means half.

I think it's supposed to allude to "Demi-God".

TuggyNE
2014-02-12, 01:19 AM

Well, they're a lot smaller than liches, despite being more powerful. So it's the physical size the name refers to.

Xar Zarath
2014-02-12, 08:35 AM
Well, they're a lot smaller than liches, despite being more powerful. So it's the physical size the name refers to.

well as they say size doesn't matter:smalltongue:

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 08:40 AM
You need to read the Epic Level Handbook, Page 175 onwards.

Destroying the phylactery will stop your lich respawning. Pay attention to Creating soul gems on page 177.