PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] So You've Become A Dragon God. What Now?

Kyouhen
2014-02-11, 12:56 PM
Greetings!

So, in the campaign I'm currently in we've stumbled into the Elemental Plane of Pirates. This is a plane that has come up in the last two campaigns we've been in and all the settings for these campaigns are on separate planes, so this is actually the exact same place as before. When we last visited the Plane of Pirates we found that the first party that discovered it has successfully conquered it, with one character becoming the resident goddess and the other acting as her second-in-command. Apparently at some point over the last few thousand years or so my character has reached level 45 and has gotten 1 divine rank. So now I have to boost him from level 16.

The character has ended up being a Great Wyrm Shadow Dragon with the following build for level 20:
Shadowcaster 3/Sorcerer 1/Noctumancer 10/Archmage 1/Mystic Theurge 4/Ardent 1

The character has a somewhat intense hatred for spellcasters, and his entire thing is countering/dispelling everything a spellcaster has then using his boosted caster level from Noctumancer to nuke them into a fine red mist. Generally with Wings of Flurry. The lone level in Ardent is to get him the Magic mantle, allowing him to turn this ability on psions as well. (The campaign he first showed up in resulted in a large number of evil psions trying to conquer the world, so it makes sense that he'd have grabbed that)

This is where I've started having problems. I can't figure out what to do with him from here. I could put more levels in Mystic Theurge or his base casting classes, but at this point he can lay a divine smackdown on pretty much any caster he comes up against so I don't think he cares too much about that. I could give him levels in a combat class, probably from Tome of Battle, but being a great wyrm shadow dragon I don't think he's too concerned about his ability to simply crush anything that he can't nuke via magic. Also the DM has declared that Antimagic Fields can only affect me if they're cast by a god with a higher divine rank than me, so I really doubt he's got much concern for what to do if he's stuck in one. I'd be tempted to give him levels in a stealth class since he's a little heavily tied to the Plane of Shadows, but being a Shadow Dragon now he doesn't care because if it isn't perfect daylight you can't see him anyway.

So, anyone have any ideas? Feats and things aren't a concern, I can make things work as needed. The guy's an overly confident shadow dragon who eats wizards for breakfast. What does he do now?

zephyrkinetic
2014-02-11, 01:05 PM
Start moving towards True Omnipotence? Moving through any material, talking to any thing, seeing anything, moving anything, etc, etc, etc.

Just a thought. I'm not a great optimizer, so I can't provide any further detail here, sorry.

Kyouhen
2014-02-11, 01:08 PM
Start moving towards True Omnipotence? Moving through any material, talking to any thing, seeing anything, moving anything, etc, etc, etc.

Just a thought. I'm not a great optimizer, so I can't provide any further detail here, sorry.

Not too worried about optimization. The character's base is kind of extremely strong at the moment, and he's hit everything he could ever need as soon as he hit 20. Hence my current dilemma. If you have any ideas for classes I'm happy to hear them. :smalltongue:

Mr Adventurer
2014-02-11, 01:11 PM
Split into two warring dragon gods of opposing alignments.

zephyrkinetic
2014-02-11, 01:13 PM
If you have any ideas for classes I'm happy to hear them. :smalltongue:

Well, this is where my abilities break down. I know there are a few Elemental classes that could provide lots of material movement (earth glide, for example). I'm sure there are some interesting Bard-related classes that could help with various communication abilities. I dunno... drunken master? Once a character is absurdly powerful, I just start taking fun/funny classes.

Alternate thought: If he's going to be a god, what will his domains be? Take classes related to those.

Snowbluff
2014-02-11, 01:17 PM
Get shot by magical spears. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NslftfS7nsE)

Kyouhen
2014-02-11, 01:19 PM
Well, this is where my abilities break down. I know there are a few Elemental classes that could provide lots of material movement (earth glide, for example). I'm sure there are some interesting Bard-related classes that could help with various communication abilities. I dunno... drunken master? Once a character is absurdly powerful, I just start taking fun/funny classes.

Alternate thought: If he's going to be a god, what will his domains be? Take classes related to those.

His domains are likely to be Magic and Darkness. Which continues to put me right back where I started of having no idea where to go with him. :smalltongue: Noctumancer was pretty much everything he ever needed and he's already maxed that and beyond, can't seem to find anything that would suit it that he qualifies for. (Stupid gnomes getting all the good shadow-based classes)

Brookshw
2014-02-11, 01:19 PM
Find a blind witch who makes a mean rat tail soup!

High Prostelizer, go around talking up how awesome of a god you are.

Kyouhen
2014-02-11, 01:48 PM
Find a blind witch who makes a mean rat tail soup!

High Prostelizer, go around talking up how awesome of a god you are.

Tempting, though I think this guy's more inclined to simply explode everything around him and let the survivors figure out how awesome of a god he is. :smalltongue:

I'm tempted to pick up Entropomancer and give him the Craft Artifact feat. Get him to start spitting out Spheres of Annihilation.

Rhyvurg
2014-02-11, 03:41 PM
I assume you got Dispelling Breath?

Kyouhen
2014-02-11, 04:14 PM
I assume you got Dispelling Breath?

Of course! Also Dispelling Screen and anything else that lets me dispel multiple spells easily. Was a requirement for getting him functioning before his recent promotion. :smallbiggrin:

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-11, 04:30 PM
You really need to determine some concrete goals going forward. Then, once you have a goal, you can look at what tools you need to achieve it, and build from there.

Ideas:

1.) Nation/Civilization-Building: Pretty ho-hum, but it's a frequent high-level pastime. Have a bunch of half-dragon kids and train them in the ways of power.

2.) Conquest: Pick a plane that looks comfortable. Conquer it.

3.) Demon Prince/Archduke Status: Common goals for the extremely evil. Note, you probably need a way to count as a fiend first, but that is doable.

4.) Collector: You are powerful enough to do whatever you want. Dragons are greedy. Be greedy and start collecting/misappropriating artifacts, god-weapons, and the strongholds of powerful people.

5.) Colonize the stars/U.S.S. Enterprise: Probably achievable.

Rhyvurg
2014-02-11, 06:03 PM
What he said, the easiest way to gain more power as a dragon is by making half-dragons.