PDA

View Full Version : Question about a feat (Master of Mockery)

Wacky89
2014-02-11, 02:20 PM
Master of Mockery
A genius of repartee and quick-witted insults, you can provoke your opponents to leave them too furious to worry about their own safety.
Prerequisite: Perform (comedy) 8 ranks.
Benefit: You may, as a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, attempt to enrage a single melee opponent by making a Perform (comedy) check. The result of this check represents the DC of the Will save your opponent must make to avoid becoming enraged. Enraged opponents attack you whenever able, ignoring all other targets. They gain a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls against you but take a -2 penalty to Armor Class. This is a mind-affecting, language-dependent effect.
Special: A fighter may select Master of Mockery as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Does this mean that they have to attack me what they have in hand or can they use spells/ranged attacks?

Bakkan
2014-02-11, 02:23 PM
In the absense of any language specifying that they have to attack you with whatever they have in hand, they are free to attack you however they wish. I'm not sure where this feat is from, but it's actually pretty vague on specifics. Certainly anythign that would qualify as an attack for breaking invisibility would satisfy their requirement to attack you, and perhaps more (I'm thinking of summons specifically).

Wacky89
2014-02-11, 02:26 PM
In the absense of any language specifying that they have to attack you with whatever they have in hand, they are free to attack you however they wish. I'm not sure where this feat is from, but it's actually pretty vague on specifics. Certainly anythign that would qualify as an attack for breaking invisibility would satisfy their requirement to attack you, and perhaps more (I'm thinking of summons specifically).

Source: Dragon #333

that's the source. Yea exactly that was why I was confused. But I guess that just means they have to attack me (Dealing damage) So they cant use any actions on teleporting/buffing etc.

Bakkan
2014-02-11, 02:30 PM
Does the feat have any text to establish the duration of the enraged condition?

Wacky89
2014-02-11, 02:34 PM
Does the feat have any text to establish the duration of the enraged condition?

nope, just looked it up directly from the source. No specification of duration or anything. What I wrote is what is written in the drag mag.

Bakkan
2014-02-11, 02:35 PM
Well that's extremely sloppy writing and editing.

Wacky89
2014-02-11, 02:42 PM
Well that's extremely sloppy writing and editing.

I wanted to use it for a bad guy in my current game.
I guess I have to house rule it.

Haldir
2014-02-11, 02:57 PM
I find that most feats you pull out of Dragon need a thorough dipping in Rule 0 before they are playable. :smallsigh:

Wacky89
2014-02-11, 03:37 PM
would this be acceptable as a house rule?

Master of Mockery
Type: General
Source: Dragon #333

A genius of repartee and quick-witted insults, you can provoke your opponents to leave them too furious to worry about their own safety.
Prerequisite: Perform (comedy) 8 ranks.
Benefit: You may, as a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, attempt to enrage a single melee opponent by making a Perform (comedy) check. The result of this check represents the DC of the Will save your opponent must make to avoid becoming enraged. Enraged opponents attack you whenever able, ignoring all other targets. They gain a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls against you but take a -2 penalty to Armor Class. This is a mind-affecting, language-dependent effect.

Enraged: An enraged character has to use his actions to deal damage to the comedian; this can be Ranged/Spells/Melee. You can use your move action for whatever you like as long as you deal damage to the comedian.
Special: A fighter may select Master of Mockery as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Check Result Duration in rounds
15 or below 1
16-25 2
26-30 3
31-35 4
36 or higher 5

DarkEternal
2014-02-11, 03:53 PM
It's a similar feat to the knight class feature where he can challenge-taunt an opponent. He can use spells though. And items. And everything he damn well pleases as long as the object of attack is the knight. If the taunted enemy casts an area spell, it has to be cast in such a way to include the knight.