PDA

View Full Version : Question about invisibility..

Kerilstrasz
2014-02-11, 03:37 PM
A tricky question..

Assume a pebble, with invisibility sphere cast on it..
lets say i hold the pebble in hand.
the pebble and every creature around it (in the effect area) are invisible.
what Mundane ways are there so i can suppress the spell for a bit and then again use it???
Putting the pebble in a box? in a sack? should i use a certain material?
Can you plz provide the book and page your answer comes from?

Also..
assume i hold the same pebble and i enter into a iron crate 5x5x5 feet.
will the crate be invisible too?

Edit:
Also..
Assume sphere of invisibility cast on me. I hold a lit torch. Can others see the light? or maybe the shadows created by an invisible light source?
Also..
Assume an invisible wall. a lit torch at one side. does the light from torch pass the invisible wall? what if the torch is invisible too?

Edit2:
Also..
Assume an invisible box. lets say 10x10x10. Two not invisible creatures get in the box. Can others see the creatures?

ahenobarbi
2014-02-11, 03:57 PM
A tricky question..

Assume a pebble, with invisibility sphere cast on it..
lets say i hold the pebble in hand.
the pebble and every creature around it (in the effect area) are invisible.
what Mundane ways are there so i can suppress the spell for a bit and then again use it???
Putting the pebble in a box? in a sack? should i use a certain material?
Can you plz provide the book and page your answer comes from?

Yes. Putting the stone in a box will block line of effect to everything outside the box so spell will not affect anything outside the box (see description of Emanation area[on SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#area), also somewhere in Players Handbook).

Also..
assume i hold the same pebble and i enter into a iron crate 5x5x5 feet.
will the crate be invisible too?

Edit:
Also..
Assume sphere of invisibility cast on me. I hold a lit torch. Can others see the light? or maybe the shadows created by an invisible light source?

Yes, see Invisibility spell description.

Also..
Assume an invisible wall. a lit torch at one side. does the light from torch pass the invisible wall? what if the torch is invisible too?

Wall is visible and blocks the light because invisibility makes only creatures invisible.

Edit2:
Also..
Assume an invisible box. lets say 10x10x10. Two not invisible creatures get in the box. Can others see the creatures?

Yes (the box is invisible so you can see creatures as if the box wasn't there).

Yorrin
2014-02-11, 04:03 PM
I'll begin by saying that there is no RAW answer to most of your questions: it's all up to the DM. That being said, as a DM myself I can tell you how I'd adjudicate most of these.

The easiest is the wall/box scenarios. Since invisibility, at least in my game world, works by light passing through objects rather than its usual MO of reflecting off of them you would still be able to see the people in the invisible box and the torch on the other side of the invisible wall would still shine through.

Invisibility Sphere specifically targets creatures (and their held objects), so your theoretical iron box would not be affected RAW. Also RAW a torch held by an invisible character looks like light with no visible source.

As for mundane negation of an invisibility sphere granting pebble, that one's a bit harder. I'm not aware of any material that can block glammers, but I know lead stops divination, so as a DM I'd allow a lead-lined box to work, probably. But maybe not- depends on how much I expect the PCs to abuse it :smallwink:

ahenobarbi
2014-02-12, 02:18 PM
The easiest is the wall/box scenarios. Since invisibility, at least in my game world, works by light passing through objects rather than its usual MO of reflecting off of them you would still be able to see the people in the invisible box and the torch on the other side of the invisible wall would still shine through.

I don't think inside invisible container would become invisible (unless specific description says so). And the walldoesn't become invisible because Sphere of Invisibility affects only creatures (and their equipment as you noticed below).

Invisibility Sphere specifically targets creatures (and their held objects), so your theoretical iron box would not be affected RAW. Also RAW a torch held by an invisible character looks like light with no visible source.

As for mundane negation of an invisibility sphere granting pebble, that one's a bit harder. I'm not aware of any material that can block glammers, but I know lead stops divination, so as a DM I'd allow a lead-lined box to work, probably. But maybe not- depends on how much I expect the PCs to abuse it :smallwink:

There are rules for that: it's an emanation so it affects only creatures that it has line of effect to. And a box would block line of effect. So the Sphere of Invisibility wouldn't affect anything outside (closed) box if item is inside the box.

shylocke
2014-02-12, 02:28 PM
Many spells with an area are blocked by varying thicknesses of material the thickest needed is dirt or wood and the thinnest is lead. One foot down to one inch respectively I think

Hunter Noventa
2014-02-12, 03:23 PM
Many spells with an area are blocked by varying thicknesses of material the thickest needed is dirt or wood and the thinnest is lead. One foot down to one inch respectively I think

That's actually a specific rule applied to most Detection sells like Detect Magic. Since it's specifically pointed out on those spells, these materials don't have any effect on other magic unless specified, otherwise it would be listed in the general magic section, rather than a specific spell. Of course, this doesn't matter since any solid object blocks an emanation.

In regards to the question, Invisibility Sphere can only target a creature. Of course, there's no reason you couldn't target a bug or something equally tiny for the same questions.

ahenobarbi
2014-02-12, 04:32 PM
In regards to the question, Invisibility Sphere can only target a creature. Of course, there's no reason you couldn't target a bug or something equally tiny for the same questions.

You can cast Invisibility Sphere on an object because it's area is "10-ft.-radius emanation around the creature or object touched". But the object will not become invisible, because it's not a creature and "this spell confers invisibility upon all creatures within 10 feet of the recipient".

I'm not sure if this contradicts what you ment.